Threaded vs. Press&Pin barrel?

This is a discussion on Threaded vs. Press&Pin barrel? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hi, I've searched and searched, and I just can't seem to find information on the difference between a threaded and press&pin barrel is for the ...

Thread: Threaded vs. Press&Pin barrel?

Hi,

I've searched and searched, and I just can't seem to find information on the difference between a threaded and press&pin barrel is for the AK platform.

Specifically, is it something that has to do with the receiver, or does it have to do with the barrel? If somebody were to buy a milled parts kit, for example, would they have the personal option to choose the type of milled receiver (threaded or press&pin), or would it be contingent on the type of barrel included in the milled kit?

And what are the pros and cons of each?

Thanks for clearing some of this up for me!

Current receiver selection
    Welcome to... AKParts.com
    As far as I know, only milled receivers are threaded receivers. A milled block would be the only way I could think of to support threading and a threaded barrel. Although I would think it possible to have a press fit/pinned barrel in a milled receiver, the question would be why--as that would seem to be over-engineering on the receiver which would add expense above and beyond barrel design. Strength and rigidity as well as reliable headspace and chambering over an extended length of time compared to a press fit or pinned barrel/receiver combo. I'm not saying that is inferior in any way. This all has to do specifically to the receiver you have.
    AK47 Stamped & Milled Receivers
    Ak47, Ak47 Parts Kits, Gun Accessories offers the world's largest selection of knives, guns, and firearm brands for sale.
    AK-47.net: AK Receiver Types
    Firearms 1st- Review and Discussion The Semiautomatic AK-47 Shopper’s Guide
    There's a lot of information here for you to go through. As far as parts kits in general, I think you'll have to go with what type receiver you have (milled or stamped)--even the fire control parts I believe. Personally, I think the milled versions are more solid, more accurate and dependable, last longer, and fetch a higher price on the market from all outward appearances. It all depends on how much you want to spend, and your needs and priorities. That being said, I'd still go with something that has a plentiful market to back it up (replacement/extra parts easy to find and procure).
    My Bulgarian Arsenal SLR-95 is a milled reciever with threaded barrel.

Senior Moderator
    The milled guns are getting hard to find.

The reason for migrating from the threaded barrels and receivers to the pressed and pinned ones was economy and ease of manufacture.

It was cheaper to build the press and pin barrel than it was to fit up a barrel to the threads...the less time spent building a gun means that it can sell for cheaper.

Both methods work well.

The only real advantage to the threaded receiver is longevity. After many,many rounds, the pinned barrels can get shoot loose and get sloppy.

Generally, about the only receivers left on the market are press and pin, meaning that you cant use a threaded barrel.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

The Firing Line can deliver a threaded receiver to you. MLS99 - US Made Milled AK Receivers

Milled receivers are more durable, and (with a good barrel) will be more accurate, threaded or press & pin. They also cost 3X as much...

I would only do a threaded receiver if I were building my dream AK:
    Green Mountain US made barrel at 20", medium contour.
    Matching parts kit
    2 cases of US made ammo

The mechanical accuracy would easily be on a par with the service DMRs, and US ammo would go a long way in realizing that potential.

Thanks for the input! You have all given great advice!

Sponsored Links