Defensive Carry banner

My 870 broke

3K views 20 replies 11 participants last post by  Rob72 
#1 ·
I took my Remington 870 to the range yesterday to try out some slugs. It ran fine at the range, but when I brought it home, I did a quick function check before loading it with buckshot again, and putting it beside my bed. I opened the action to make sure it was unloaded, and after doing that, I closed the action and pulled the trigger. I didn't hear the hammer fall:confused: I am able to open and close the action even without pulling the trigger or using the release next to the trigger. I took it apart to see what was up, and nothing appeared to be broken or missing. I'm greatly disappointed. :frown:

#2 ·
Sounds like something's come disconnected.

This is over my head to troubleshoot via the Internet, but you might check this out:

http://www.geocities.com/Eureka/Plaza/4770/rem870.jpg

http://www.brownells.com/Images/Schematics/rem-870express.gif

I don't know how good Remington's warranty program is, but I'd consider sending it back to them or a qualified gunsmith to check things out.

Sorry to hear your Remmy gave up on you!
I'm starting to think the Mossberg 590 may actually, contrary to traditional belief, be a better combat shotgun.

Best of luck.

Peace,
Pete Zaria.

#4 ·
It is an Express Magnum 12 gauge.

I am now considering a Mossberg 500 or 870 Wingmaster.

#8 ·
Oh, lord.:rolleyes: Not being a smart aleck, but get to know your weapon. If your trigger and hammer hooks are intact (you can manually retract the hammer, and the trigger retains it), Sixto is probably correct on the action bar.

I've had 1 Wingmaster and 2 Expresses. I worked through both of the Expresses, and never/have never had a problem.

#5 ·
I bought a Mossberg 500 for home defense. The gun is no frills strickly business and has never let me down. I paid under $250 for a 20" 7 shot pump at Big5 Sports in Arizona. The 590's are very nice too, but I didn't have the cash for one.

#6 ·
What an 870 broke??????

Sixto will never believe it!!!!:hand5:

#7 · (Edited)
Funny... but I'm not terribly suprised with the express. Remember, its a gun built to be a cheap alternative to the P or Wingmaster models, to compete with the Mossbergs.

Are you sure the hammer didnt fall? As you explained the situation, its working just fine. Everything you describe it doing is suppose to happen after you charge and pull the trigger.

Assuming you left out a detail or two and it is in fact broke, I'm going to guess its the action bar lock or you got something unseated some how.

#9 ·
+1 on the action bar....I have never seen an 870 break..express or other wise...IMO the only difference between a wingmaster and the express in the finish....
I am betting you have a simple solution to this problem...please don't become too frustrated...if you are not familiar with the firearm..take it to the local gunsmith/shop for a check up.

#14 ·
the internal workings of the 870 is the same no matter the model...the parts and platform have not changed...
As to quality of parts...well maybe the metal is different than the older wingmasters...but no different than you find in most firearms today...so Sixto...as much as I tend to agree with you...We do not agree on the remington 870.
I am guessing...this shotgun was dissassembled at some point and not put back together properly.

#13 ·
What is even stranger is in the two years I've had it, I've only shot maybe 115 rounds through it, mostly being target loads.

#18 ·
well see now we agree again...the police model is a different bird than the wingmaster...and thanks for the link...although I have read it...it was nice of you to post it.
back on the same page...police model is on a higher level...with a higher price tag...and much more difficult to come by...IMO, unless you intend to shoot it alot, not worth the extra cash for me.

#20 ·
Thats the reason they make gunsmiths. Let us know what you find out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.