My 870 broke

My 870 broke

This is a discussion on My 870 broke within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I took my Remington 870 to the range yesterday to try out some slugs. It ran fine at the range, but when I brought it ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My 870 broke

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar

My 870 broke

I took my Remington 870 to the range yesterday to try out some slugs. It ran fine at the range, but when I brought it home, I did a quick function check before loading it with buckshot again, and putting it beside my bed. I opened the action to make sure it was unloaded, and after doing that, I closed the action and pulled the trigger. I didn't hear the hammer fall I am able to open and close the action even without pulling the trigger or using the release next to the trigger. I took it apart to see what was up, and nothing appeared to be broken or missing. I'm greatly disappointed.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Sounds like something's come disconnected.

This is over my head to troubleshoot via the Internet, but you might check this out:

http://www.geocities.com/Eureka/Plaza/4770/rem870.jpg

http://www.brownells.com/Images/Sche...870express.gif

I don't know how good Remington's warranty program is, but I'd consider sending it back to them or a qualified gunsmith to check things out.

Sorry to hear your Remmy gave up on you!
    I'm starting to think the Mossberg 590 may actually, contrary to traditional belief, be a better combat shotgun.

Best of luck.

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    - Margaret Mead

"Booger Hook Off the Bang Switch" - unknown

B52
    Which Rem 870 was it? My Wingmaster has been flawless for 15+ years, sorry about your delima...

It is an Express Magnum 12 gauge.

I am now considering a Mossberg 500 or 870 Wingmaster.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

B52
    I bought a Mossberg 500 for home defense. The gun is no frills strickly business and has never let me down. I paid under $250 for a 20" 7 shot pump at Big5 Sports in Arizona. The 590's are very nice too, but I didn't have the cash for one.

What an 870 broke??????

Sixto will never believe it!!!!
    Lex et Libertas Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by BigEFan View Post
    What an 870 broke??????

Sixto will never believe it!!!!
    Funny... but I'm not terribly suprised with the express. Remember, its a gun built to be a cheap alternative to the P or Wingmaster models, to compete with the Mossbergs.

Are you sure the hammer didnt fall? As you explained the situation, its working just fine. Everything you describe it doing is suppose to happen after you charge and pull the trigger.

Assuming you left out a detail or two and it is in fact broke, I'm going to guess its the action bar lock or you got something unseated some how.
    Last edited by SIXTO; June 6th, 2008 at 05:33 AM.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by spyderdude View Post
    It is an Express Magnum 12 gauge.

I am now considering a Mossberg 500 or 870 Wingmaster.
    Oh, lord. Not being a smart aleck, but get to know your weapon. If your trigger and hammer hooks are intact (you can manually retract the hammer, and the trigger retains it), Sixto is probably correct on the action bar.

I've had 1 Wingmaster and 2 Expresses. I worked through both of the Expresses, and never/have never had a problem.

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    +1 on the action bar....I have never seen an 870 break..express or other wise...IMO the only difference between a wingmaster and the express in the finish....
    I am betting you have a simple solution to this problem...please don't become too frustrated...if you are not familiar with the firearm..take it to the local gunsmith/shop for a check up.
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

Administrator
    There are a lot of differences between the express and wingmaster, mostly internal workings and quality of parts... and finish.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Funny... but I'm not terribly suprised with the express. Remember, its a gun built to be a cheap alternative to the P or Wingmaster models, to compete with the Mossbergs.
    There are a lot of differences between the express and wingmaster, mostly internal workings and quality of parts... and finish.
    So.....comparing apples to apples can we conclude that the Mossberg 500 is a more durable shotgun than the Rem 870 express?
    Welcome to Tennessee, the patron state of shootin' stuff.--SHOOTER

Not from this scenario.
    Sean
    XD 9SC | XD 45ACP Service | XD 45ACP Compact |Borealis
    "You may know where you are. God may know where you are. If you don't tell your dispatcher where you are, you'd better be on speaking terms with God!"

What is even stranger is in the two years I've had it, I've only shot maybe 115 rounds through it, mostly being target loads.

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    the internal workings of the 870 is the same no matter the model...the parts and platform have not changed...
    As to quality of parts...well maybe the metal is different than the older wingmasters...but no different than you find in most firearms today...so Sixto...as much as I tend to agree with you...We do not agree on the remington 870.
    I am guessing...this shotgun was dissassembled at some point and not put back together properly.
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

I'm with SIXTO. My 20 gauge Wingmaster was made in 1952. I have fired well over 5,000 rounds through that gun without a bobble. Who knows how many rounds were fired through it before I bought it in 1985.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links