How do you store your Home Defense Shottie?

This is a discussion on How do you store your Home Defense Shottie? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am currently looking for some sort of clamping aparatus to go around the shooting block of my shottie...something like a Gunvault has on it's ...

Thread: How do you store your Home Defense Shottie?

I am currently looking for some sort of clamping aparatus to go around the shooting block of my shottie...something like a Gunvault has on it's small safe for entry..touch buttons. Anything would be better than what I am currently using which is nothing. I have a Mossie 500. Thanks in advance..and if this is in the wrong forum, please move it by all means...Thanks again!~~
    I don't try anything...I just do it!

I have a 12 gauge on each side of the headboard leaned up against the wall. One for me and one for my wife. If you don't have to worry about children gaining access to them, there is nothing wrong with it.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Senior Moderator
    In the safe if no one is home. When I get home (or JD, whoever is first) we take out both shotguns (the Remington and the Benelli). The Benelli goes by my side of the bed, the Remington goes on JD's side of the bed. That's where it stays all night until we leave in the morning. Last person out the door has the responsibility of making sure all firearms are secured in the safe if they aren't secured on our persons.

That procedure might change once this little one is old enough to find his or her way out of the crib, but we have a little time to come up with a new plan till that happens.

Yeah, that's the thing, I have two children, one 12, and the other 8. So..I need something that is secure but fast access....
    I don't try anything...I just do it!

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Not really any such animal as "secure but fast access". If its secure, that means it is physically locked in some manner, be it trigger blocking lock, gun safe, locked closet, locked gun cabinet. Getting to it fast when needed will be a compromise.

If you cannot leave it loaded and in reach when needed fast, then you probably need to invest heavily into some kind of very good security alarm system so you will be assured you are notified when someone is trying to get inside your home. Bolster your door locks and window lockes.

If a firearm is an absolute must, you probably need to get a pistol to carry on your body while inside the home.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Administrator
    I use a modified car rack with a hidden, out of reach release with a keyed back up... with a little creative engineering, it didn't cost me much at all and the kids would have to work at it to figure out the release, burglers would end up destroying the shotgun anyway, and I can have it out in ready in a fraction of a second.
    "Just blame Sixto"

you might think about hooks inside closet above door,also at 12 and 8 they should be old enough to teach gun safety and to not touch firearms unless you are present
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    That procedure might change once this little one is old enough to find his or her way out of the crib, but we have a little time to come up with a new plan till that happens.
    That does tend to change things. I kept a .357 in my nightstand for 16 years. Now every thing needs to be locked up. The worst part is that kids sleep like wildcats. They are always banging or thumping in the night. I wake up at least twice a night because my daughter bumped an arm or leg on her crib or my son flopped over. He only weighs 30 pounds but you'd think it was a walrus, he makes soooo much noise. It's worth it though!
    A word of warning; if you can afford to do more Bear does not recommend giving your wife two pieces of bubble gum for her birthday.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I use a modified car rack with a hidden, out of reach release with a keyed back up... with a little creative engineering, it didn't cost me much at all and the kids would have to work at it to figure out the release, burglers would end up destroying the shotgun anyway, and I can have it out in ready in a fraction of a second.
    Can you post a pic. please?
    A word of warning; if you can afford to do more Bear does not recommend giving your wife two pieces of bubble gum for her birthday.

V-Line Long Gun Vault with simplex 5 button lock under my bed. Same combination as the V-Line pistol vault in my nightstand.

Chuck
    homo homini lupus est

Gunvault makes something that is fast and secure.
    LONG GUN VAULT GUNVAULT SHOTGUN GV 3000C - eBay (item 120269914265 end time Jun-12-08 18:40:53 PDT)
    (This is not my auction and is only meant to show the product that I'm referring to.)
    Bleeding-heart reporter: Do you feel that violence begets violence?
    Jeff Cooper: It is my earnest endeavor to see that it does. I would like very much to ensure - and in some cases I have - that any man who offers violence to his fellow citizen begets a whole lot more than he can enjoy."

I was going to suggest the V-Line box, but Chuck R. beat me to it.

Another option is the Life Jacket:

Life Jacket Portable Shotgun, Pistol, Rifle Gun Locks Allen's Law Enforcement Safety Products

which would be cheaper and possibly allow more mounting options, but at the cost of what will probably be slower access in times of stress.

Sponsored Links