Bedroom gun storage

This is a discussion on Bedroom gun storage within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; How do you secure your bedroom shotgun for defense given there is no room for a safe and no closets? What systems do you use? ...

Thread: Bedroom gun storage

Bedroom gun storage

How do you secure your bedroom shotgun for defense given there is no room for a safe and no closets? What systems do you use? Do you unlock it before bed and relock it in the morning?

2. Remove Ads

You don't mention if you have children. This makes a big difference. If no children are around, then leave it loaded and ready to go. If you have company, unload it, lock it and put it away somewhere.

If children are around, you might want to try and keep you bedroom door locked. This keeps the gun ready, but the kids away.

I have also heard of some people mounting theirs behind the headboard, on hooks, if you have one.

Hope that helps,
    Jonathan
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

You may also want to check magnet mounting:

Quick Draw Gun Magnets
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Senior Member Array Joshua M. Smith's Avatar
    My bedroom is also my gun vault.

One side is dirt and mortar and probably cement blocks. The other sides just cannot be busted through.

The door frame and door are both reinforced, and it has a quality lock on it.

It's locked whenever I'm not home, and sometimes when I am.

Josh <><

Under the bed, takes up very little room:

Chuck
    homo homini lupus est

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    the big question is if you have children or not...IMO that changes how you have to store the HD shotgun. w/o you can leave it loaded and ready in a corner or under the bed....then only have to worry about guests, and if they snoop in your bedroom...as many place guest coats on the bed, etc.
    with kids takes much more planning...if very small then maybe not putting one in the chamber might work for a while...but if they are 3-4, then things have to change again...
    there is a device called the piecekeeper...
    www.piecekeeper.com....i think
    or some sort of locked case....without knowing your situation..it is hard to advise.
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

got no kids all grown next to bed fine

How do you secure your bedroom shotgun for defense given there is no room for a safe and no closets? What systems do you use? Do you unlock it before bed and relock it in the morning?
    Well, wouldn't you know it.....I'm currently shotgunless. Darn the luck. Here's what I would do, and yes, I've kept the previous Mossberg 500 and Ithaca 37 next to me at night as well as the 1911 under the pillow. That being said---locks?--to hell with them. Keep the shotty out under the bed, between mattress and springs, or in the corner. Thing is---load and unload as necessary. Keep that baby empty when not at DEFCON 2. Your box of shotshells and choice of SD ammo can be kept under clothes in a dresser drawer, or anywhere. Out of sight, out of reach, out of the places where it could possibly be looked for. Load her up at night or when you get home. Change the location of ammo like you would the password on your computer. Be creative. By the way---I always kept my shotguns mag full but without chambered round, hammer dropped so it was ready to rack. I've always believed in pumps vs autoloaders. I also slept alone for my last 16 years of my first marriage.

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    Ramrod...you didn't sleep alone for those 16 years.....you had the trusty 1911 under your pillow!!!!
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

no kids so "hidden in plain sight". fake cover that can be gotten to.

you might want one of these www.mossberg.com

I have heard in the closet um up above behind the back of the closet if that makes sense? I dunno I saw it on youtube a video that described where this guy hid his HD shotgun.

No safe...or no room for a safe? How many guns? Just a shotgun? I believe I would find, or make a way to hide your weapon when not at home. Up under the bed, behind/under a dresser, or some other non-obvious place.

With no kids, options are pretty easy when home, my concern would be when I leave for work or travel. I have two safes, and it makes for much less worry when gone.
    When home, the safe is open with my coach gun and ammo available just a grab away...I still have my Kimber either on my person or only a few feet away.

Stay armed...at home, too...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Moderator
    My M1 carbine hangs on a pair of bicycle hooks inside my closet above the door.

To see it you have to step in the closet and turn around, but I can easily open the door and reach up and grab it.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Funny you mention that, Me and my buddy are trying to come up with a Lamp mount. We were thinking sometimes the most obvious place is the hardest to find. If your a BG.

I thought about taking an old lamp Putting in a wooding rod in the base that the barrel actual would go over. The Shotgun would double as the lamp post and rig the shade to the stock of the gun,in a fashion that if needed you could grab the grip of the gun pull up, the shade would fall off and you would have your gun.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Links