Defensive Carry banner

The DC HD Shotgun thread!

187K views 344 replies 178 participants last post by  JH1961 
#1 ·
OK guys 90% of us would grab our shotgun if you could grab only one on the way out.
It's the king of home defense, So show us what scattergun you trust!

I am working on some things this week for mine, what have you one done to yours?

This just replaced my 870 express.

See less See more
#2 ·
Nice gun, CD!

Not much I plan to do for this. Maybe a light on the pump and one of those nifty Knoxx SpecOps Recoil Reducing stocks. But I love it the way it is.

#4 · (Edited)

Mossberg 835, slugster 24" smoothbore barrel chambered to 3.5, TrueGlo fiber front sight, B-Square mount & Tasco Red Dot.

#6 ·
OK, those are some good looking rigs and it leads me to my question of what would be a good first shotgun?

I own many hunting rifles and 1 pistol (for now) and am looking for a good shotgun that won't aggravate the Wife on cost but I can gradually modify to "make my own".

#7 ·
Paco said:
I own many hunting rifles and 1 pistol (for now) and am looking for a good shotgun that won't aggravate the Wife on cost but I can gradually modify to "make my own."
12GA Mossberg Maverick 88, 18.5" BBL. Can be had between 150 & 200 USD new in box.

#13 ·
The Benelli M2 is right next to my bed. The Winchester Mod 97 stays in my office on the other side of the house. What you see in the picture is pretty much the barrel lengths, the edge of the photo just cuts off the end by a little.

Attachments

#14 ·
Nice gun cuda66, great price. Now that I've acquired an evil black hi cap 12 gauge and gotten that out of my system, I have a strong desire for a classic 870 Magnum with the walnut fore end and stock. There's something very cool about wood on a blued scatter gun IMO. Anyone know where to find one at a reasonable price??

#17 ·
bmcgilvray, I've never seen a shottie that looks like yours. How interesting the receiver is, and the finish on the barrel. Circa what years where they made?

#22 ·
Yes, it is a Browning design. A lot of older model Brownings, Remingtons and Sears branded guns look the same way as they share the same design. I'm sure there are other brands too, those are just what I thought of off the top of my head.

And yes, there is something cool about a classic walnut and blue shotgun. :danceban:I'll post some of mine in a day or two.

#18 ·
I believe those are actually designed around the old BAR's. My father and late grandfather both had deer rifles that looked just like that, and one of my friends has a shottie that resembles that quite well.

#20 ·
My camera pic's are always too big...:confused::confused:

But my HD shottie is a 'reworked' Stoeger Coach Gun...in 12ga...

It's a keeper...:image035:

#23 ·
Winchester 1300 Defender, nothin' fancy, just reliable:hand10:
How come my pic won't come up???

Attachments

Reactions: Pyzik
#24 ·
The Remington Model 11 is another of John M. Browning's creations, a design licensed in the US to be manufactured by Remington as the Model 11, by Savage as the Model 720, and from Belgium as the Browning Auto 5. Same design but, while sometimes barrels may be interchanged, I'm thinking small parts are not of standardized dimensions. I obtained this Model 11 with standard blued finish from its original owner who purchased it new in 1931 with a modified barrel and a spare full choke barrel. After the shotgun came into my possession I picked up the ugly home blued short barrel from my brother-in-law.

It probably isn't the best choice for serious usage due to the fact that it's been obsolete for over 50 years but the design is clever, sound, and dependable, it's heavily built, and surprisingly, parts are commonly available and relatively inexpensive. I've kept my eye out for spare parts but have never needed any as I keep it very clean and properly lubricated at all times. This one's shared duck and dove hunting chores over the past 15 years I've owned it with my favorite Winchester Model 12. Despite its age I'm happy to rely on it to feed and function reliably.

The Remington Model 11 with its original modified choke barrel installed and featuring a red Jostam butt pad installed by its original owner along with my brother-in-law's Savage Model 720. Ducks were taken by my B-I-L, nephew, and me on the last weekend of duck season 2007.

Reactions: wizard7mm08 and OD*
#28 ·
Mossberg 500 with a slugster barrel, pistol grip and tac light.

Light has both a red LED and a group of 5 white (bright) LEDs. I know you're supposed to use the red for something, but I don't know what.

Attachments

#83 ·
I know you're supposed to use the red for something, but I don't know what.
Red light will not impair your night visions. It is what you want to use if you are wanting to use a light than turn it off and still see in the dark without the delay as your eyes adjust

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.