The DC HD Shotgun thread! - Page 5

The DC HD Shotgun thread!

This is a discussion on The DC HD Shotgun thread! within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; that's the model i have; i added a stock to mine on the advice of others here. it's the breacher model. it's harder to aim ...

Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
Like Tree70Likes

Thread: The DC HD Shotgun thread!

that's the model i have; i added a stock to mine on the advice of others here. it's the breacher model. it's harder to aim with the pistol grip only; the stock makes aiming a whole lot more accurate, and cuts the recoil way down. pistol grips are only cool in the movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy-SS View Post
    This style seems like perfect HD weapon. I don't understand why anyone wants a rear stock when the furthest range you'd probably be shooting is 20 feet?

Exactly what model is this?

thanks
    You never know what you might have to do, and there's no downside to having a stock, unless you're trying to put your shotgun in a suitcase, or hide it under a trench coat. If I have to do any of that, I guess I would just swap the pistol grip back on.

The shotgun in the photo is the Mossberg 500A Cruiser Tactical.
    Under the sword lifted high, there is Hell, making you tremble. But go ahead, and you have the land of Bliss.

~ Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by Seraph View Post
    ... unless you're trying to put your shotgun in a suitcase, or hide it under a trench coat. If I have to do any of that, I guess I would just swap the pistol grip back on...
    Don't forget leather...

Andrews Custom Leather - Firepower Rig

fail_187 and Farmerjohn like this.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Quote Originally Posted by matiki View Post

whoa!

Quote Originally Posted by jahwarrior72 View Post
    whoa!
    No kidding!! I wonder how much that rig weighs fully loaded. Lol.

Wht
    “They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security” Benjamin Franklin
    I'm not pro gun, I'm pro rights. What are you?

NRA
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by wht06rado View Post
    No kidding!! I wonder how much that rig weighs fully loaded. Lol.

Wht
    Man no wonder you guys said "whoa"!
    God bless our troops!

Quote Originally Posted by wht06rado View Post
    I picked up my new Mossberg 590 with ghost sights today. Changed out the forend for a Surefire 623FA.
    Nice choice wht.

Seraph, do you know if there is a youth stock option for the 590 model gun?
    2nd Amendment: because personal violence never makes an appointment.
    Evil resides in the heart of the individual, not in inanimate objects.
    Proud Member of GeorgiaCarry.Org

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jahwarrior72 View Post
    that's the model i have; i added a stock to mine on the advice of others here. it's the breacher model. it's harder to aim with the pistol grip only; the stock makes aiming a whole lot more accurate, and cuts the recoil way down. pistol grips are only cool in the movies.
    In reference to the Mossberg 500A Cruiser Tactical...

Really? I don't have a lot of trouble with mine. Maybe Brownie or FlagFlyFish will chime in and back me up. I have that exact model and shoot skeet with it. From the relaxed position to hitting the clay is usually around half a second - 3/4 second from the throw (either of you, if I'm giving myself too much credit then lemme know - I'd kinda like to get a solid time down). Now I'll never go pro with it and I won't hit with quite the same accuracy as some of the other guys but I'm fast out of the gate and hit with decent regularity on a clay. Regardless, that little bead sight on the end is all you need for a follow-up with a missed first shot. I've even shot skeet using a two-handed pistol style grip on that rig.

Now I can also push 100+ rounds at a time with this thing. I've got meaty mitts and my wrists never complain. The mileage will vary according to the user. Sure the pistol grip is cool but I only know a few guys who can shoot it with the same gusto. Really, to make it completely practical shotgun, I would suggest a pistol-grip or normal buttstock... Again, whatever the end user prefers. As I said in my post, I'm planning to eventually pick up one of those Knoxx Tacticals. I've got about 1200 rounds through mine though and it never complains - even during the hottest sessions.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Administrator
    I'm not a fan of the pistol grip shotguns and think they are a horrible idea for most people, but one can shoot them very accurately with a little practice.
    I agree with SixBravo's post 100%.
    "Just blame Sixto"

The buttstock adds extra length, which would (I think) cause some restriction in the tight confines of a hallway or other closed area. The Japanese Samurai used to carry two swords (long and short) just for this reason. So it would seem natural that in a closed-in HD situation, one would want a shorter weapon????

Someone please explain the seeming preference for buttstock in HD shottie.

thanks

-
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

Tick tock ... tick tock ... tick ...

Am still awaiting arrival of my Remington 870P 12ga SBS. Should be any day now.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Senior Member Array flagflyfish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SixBravo View Post
    In reference to the Mossberg 500A Cruiser Tactical...

Really? I don't have a lot of trouble with mine. Maybe Brownie or FlagFlyFish will chime in and back me up. I have that exact model and shoot skeet with it. From the relaxed position to hitting the clay is usually around half a second - 3/4 second from the throw (either of you, if I'm giving myself too much credit then lemme know - I'd kinda like to get a solid time down). Now I'll never go pro with it and I won't hit with quite the same accuracy as some of the other guys but I'm fast out of the gate and hit with decent regularity on a clay. Regardless, that little bead sight on the end is all you need for a follow-up with a missed first shot. I've even shot skeet using a two-handed pistol style grip on that rig.

Now I can also push 100+ rounds at a time with this thing. I've got meaty mitts and my wrists never complain. The mileage will vary according to the user. Sure the pistol grip is cool but I only know a few guys who can shoot it with the same gusto. Really, to make it completely practical shotgun, I would suggest a pistol-grip or normal buttstock... Again, whatever the end user prefers. As I said in my post, I'm planning to eventually pick up one of those Knoxx Tacticals. I've got about 1200 rounds through mine though and it never complains - even during the hottest sessions.
    I gotta say, Six is pretty good with that little shotgun. I personally don't usually like a pistol grip on a shotgun, as it was designed to be a shoulder fired weapon, but I can see the advantages of it in a CQ situation.
    "These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier
    and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the
    service of his country; but he that stands it now, deserves the
    love and thanks of man and woman."

-- Thomas Paine (The American Crisis, No. 1, 19 December 1776)

Quote Originally Posted by Moga View Post
    Seraph, do you know if there is a youth stock option for the 590 model gun?
    Speedfeed part# 0357 is the black synthetic Youth stock, which comes with a ribbed fore end. This is the one I just put on my 500 a couple of days ago, and the same part# is also for the 590.
    Under the sword lifted high, there is Hell, making you tremble. But go ahead, and you have the land of Bliss.

~ Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy-SS View Post
    The buttstock adds extra length, which would (I think) cause some restriction in the tight confines of a hallway or other closed area... Someone please explain the seeming preference for buttstock in HD shottie.

thanks

-
    The dimension that matters, when turning corners indoors, is the distance between the firing hand and the muzzle. Unless you're holding your shotgun out in front of yourself by the recoil pad, the buttstock won't add any effective length at all, hence no downside, hence general preference.

~ Miyamoto Musashi

Mine

The only two I have pics of at work. My Benelli with CCW shell carrier and side saddle: I keep Federal low recoil flite-control buckshot in it, that and Breneke low recoil slugs in the carriers.

Wife prefers this. Yes, it's a .410, but she'll shoot it. Better than a 12 she won't practice with. Got S&B buckshot in it, a box of buckshot and Breneke slugs next to it.

Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links