The DC HD Shotgun thread!

This is a discussion on The DC HD Shotgun thread! within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The only two I have pics of at work. My Benelli with CCW shell carrier and side saddle: I keep Federal low recoil flite-control buckshot ...

Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
Like Tree69Likes

Thread: The DC HD Shotgun thread!

Mine

The only two I have pics of at work. My Benelli with CCW shell carrier and side saddle: I keep Federal low recoil flite-control buckshot in it, that and Breneke low recoil slugs in the carriers.

Wife prefers this. Yes, it's a .410, but she'll shoot it. Better than a 12 she won't practice with. Got S&B buckshot in it, a box of buckshot and Breneke slugs next to it.

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    A 410 will do the trick just fine, just keep the pattern tight.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Here's my lowly S-12, after Seraph's sparkling version! What kind of side folder is that? Some kind of custom AK to AR? If AR based does the shock tube help a lot with the heavier recoil of an S-12 over a 223/556 round?

fail_187 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy-SS View Post
    The buttstock adds extra length, which would (I think) cause some restriction in the tight confines of a hallway or other closed area. The Japanese Samurai used to carry two swords (long and short) just for this reason. So it would seem natural that in a closed-in HD situation, one would want a shorter weapon????

Someone please explain the seeming preference for buttstock in HD shottie.

thanks

-

A few of reasons...

1) Aiming. It's darn near impossible to aim a shotgun at waist level, and it's not easy to aim a pistol-grip shotgun at eye level (and not recommended at ALL by manufacturers, IIRC--seems it's a good way to get a good smack in the face)...and anyone who says that you don't need to aim a shotgun is...well...grossly misinformed.

2) Recoil control. Much easier to get that barrel down for follow-up shots if necessary.

3) Follow up shots (b). If a pump, it's much faster to cycle the action from the shoulder than it is at the waist. For semi-autos, it's not unusual to get a misfeed since you don't have a stable platform (shoulder) to soak up that recoil (kinda like limp-wristing a pistol).

Personally, short of specialized applications (ie, breaching), I don't see the point of pistol-gripped shotguns. Own one if you like; I won't.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Quote Originally Posted by Seraph View Post
    The dimension that matters, when turning corners indoors, is the distance between the firing hand and the muzzle. ... buttstock won't add any effective length at all, hence no downside.....

Yes, I can understand what you're saying, as the stock would be directly under your forearm, and even with a pistol grip, your forearm is still there...........

Thanks

And thanks Cuda66

-
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

I'm currently perusing the thought of buying A Mossberg 930 semi auto with a 18 1/2 barrel and a 28" barrel package,I think a package can be had for under 600.00 and you can swap from HD to hunting with a barrel change,also safety position makes it great for leftys to access the safety quick
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Here's mine. Another Mossberg 590.
    I bought it while I was in the US Navy, I think around 1992 or so, because the 590 was what we carried onboard ship when standing roving security patrol.

It has both the regular stock and a pistol grip. I keep the pistol grip on it for easy maneuvering inside the house if the need should arise in the middle of the night.

,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Heres mine the light beam and laser beam was photoshopped in as neither photographed very well.

Mossberg 590A. 20 inch barrel holds eight rounds. Add ons are a three rail pump with Mako T-Grip holding a NovaTac flashlight. The Mako T-Grip has a trigger switch that allows me to operate the flashlight. The NovaTac has four light settings 10 lumens, 40 lumens and 85 lumens plus a strobe. On the side weaver rail is my laserLyte attached that I can switch on / off with my thumb without releasing the T-Grip. The T-Grip holds extra batteries for the laser, flashlight and Aimpoint. Top sight is an Aimpoint Red Dot sight, because of the way it mounts there is a grove I can sight through to the front bead like a ghost ring sight if the Aimpoint goes out. The stock is an adjustable recoil reducing Knoxx SpecOps stock that lets me stay dead on target or acquire the next one as quickly as I can work the pump. No recoil or muzzle rise to speak off.
    To be added is a Advanced Tech heat shield, a fiber optic front sight and a Knoxx pro pack
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Quote Originally Posted by cl00bie View Post
    I know you're supposed to use the red for something, but I don't know what.
    Red light will not impair your night visions. It is what you want to use if you are wanting to use a light than turn it off and still see in the dark without the delay as your eyes adjust
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    Here are some 870 clones my buddy is bringing in

CanadianGunNutz.com

I am debating the mag loader.

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I'm currently perusing the thought of buying A Mossberg 930 semi auto with a 18 1/2 barrel and a 28" barrel package,I think a package can be had for under 600.00 and you can swap from HD to hunting with a barrel change,also safety position makes it great for leftys to access the safety quick
    I bought one on Gunbroker 505.00 shipped to my FFL,will be the wifes hunting/home defense shotty,I will set the 18 1/2" barrel up with a light and winchester reduced recoil 00 buck,as soon as it gets here I will take pictures of pattern at 25 yards and 10 yards to see how well it patterns and put some slugs thru it to see how accurate
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I Got It!

So my primary Home Defense weapon is finally here and ready for BG punishment...

Mossberg 500 Persuader 12-gauge (8-shot pistol grip)

PICS:

the .40 cal is now back-up
    "Life is like a box of chocolate... You never know who you are going to shoot."

my flickr photo page

Sweet. Congrats on the new shottie!

Wht
    “They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security” Benjamin Franklin
    I'm not pro gun, I'm pro rights. What are you?

NRA
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Mossberg Maverick 88,...18.5" barrell. Fiancee got that for herself, cheap and its a GREAT firearm.

My baby is a Saiga .410.

usually my Saiga is locked up,and my XD sits in its hiding spot next to my tactical flashlight,...

OD*
    Take-downs come in handy occasionally.

"The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Links