Mossberg 500 or 590

Mossberg 500 or 590

This is a discussion on Mossberg 500 or 590 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have had a Mossberg 500 around for about a year now. It has been my go to for a home defense gun. I was ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mossberg 500 or 590

Mossberg 500 or 590

I have had a Mossberg 500 around for about a year now. It has been my go to for a home defense gun. I was only able to get about 50 rounds through it before they closed our local shot gun range. I was surfing around Budsgunshop.com today and I saw a sweet Mossberg 590Mossberg 50663 590 12 20 CB 9SH CB GSRNG for Sale at Buds Gun Shop.
    And I got to thinking about selling my 500 for the 590. Here is my train of thought:
    *The 590 I saw has sights on it instead of just a gold bead.
    *The 590 has a 9 shot capacity over the 6 shot capacity of the 500.

I don't really care for the bayonet lug. And for an extra 1 1/2" in barrel length I get another 3 shots before I have to reload.

So, am I just going gun crazy or do you think it would be a good move to sell my 500 and get a 590?

Wht

ETA: After doing some reading it looks like the Surefire forend I have for my 500(623FA ) will not fit a 590 without removing the bayonet lug. I am not sure how removing the lug would effect the shotgun. But it would have to be modified to use my Surefire forend.
    “They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security” Benjamin Franklin
    I'm not pro gun, I'm pro rights. What are you?

NRA
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I bought a 500 'special purpose tactical' for my wife, I wanted the adjustable length of pull and reduced weight. For myself, the 590 would have been the ideal.

Removing the Bayo lug on your 590 shouldn't hurt anything, I think there's a picture of a 590 over in the DC HD Shotgun picture thread where he mounted some sort of light holder where the bayo lug was.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Administrator
    I'd much rather have the 590, but not for the reasons you listed. The 590 is much heavier built, making a much more robust gun.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    You can get the ghost ring sights from mossberg for $64. IMO it is not worth buying a new shotgun unless you just want a new one (which is always a good idea). If you do get a new one go bury your old one with about 100 rds of 00buck. Me thinks you may need it in the not too distant future.
    A word of warning; if you can afford to do more Bear does not recommend giving your wife two pieces of bubble gum for her birthday.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    You can get the ghost ring sights from mossberg for $64. IMO it is not worth buying a new shotgun unless you just want a new one (which is always a good idea). If you do get a new one go bury your old one with about 100 rds of 00buck. Me thinks you may need it in the not too distant future.
    Where can I get these sights you speak of?

Wht
    “They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security” Benjamin Franklin

NRA
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

VIP Member
    Go to Mossbergs web site and order them.

O.F. Mossberg & Sons, Inc. - Firearms, Shotguns, Rifles, Accessories, and Precision Machining

Looks like the price went up about five bucks since last I looked. Look under accesories.
    A word of warning; if you can afford to do more Bear does not recommend giving your wife two pieces of bubble gum for her birthday.

They are both good, but I agree with what SIXTO said 100%, as would anyone familiar with Mossys.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

A few facts to help with your decision,

Model 500 vs. Model 590 vs. Model 590A1

Mossberg 590, with 20 inch barrel. The primary difference between the Model 500 and Model 590 is in magazine tube design. The Model 500 magazines are closed at the muzzle end, and the barrel is held in place by bolting into a threaded hole at the end of the magazine tube. Model 590 magazines are open at the end, and the barrels fit around the magazine tube and are held on by a nut at the end. The Model 500 magazine facilitates easy barrel changes, as the barrel bolt serves no function other than holding the barrel in place. The Model 590 magazine facilitates easy cleaning and parts replacement, as removing the nut allows removal of the magazine spring and follower.

Parkerized Mossberg 590A1 with M7 Bayonet, upper picatinny rail, and modified standard 590 Heat shield. The Model 590A1 is a Model 590 with an aluminum trigger guard and safety, and a heavier barrel, intended for military use under the most extreme conditions. The 590A1 is generally sold through military and law enforcement channels, though in most jurisdictions the 18.5" and 20" models may be legally purchased by private persons. 590A1s with 14" barrels are Title II firearms, and may be purchased by private persons in NFA-legal states.

The riot gun versions of the Model 500 (Persuader and Mariner) are available with an 18.5" or 20" (47cm or 51cm) barrel depending on magazine capacity. The 590 is only available with a 20" barrel and flush-fit magazine tube. The 590A1 is available with a 14" (35.5cm), 18.5", or 20" barrel. One model sold as Model 590 (catalog item 51663) is technically a 590A1, as it uses the heavy barrel and military trigger group, but unlike models designated 590A1 it is sold on the civilian market.

Unlike Model 500 and 590 shotguns (with the exception of ghost-ring sight 590 models), Model 590A1 shotguns cannot be easily fitted with the factory heat shield, due to the heavy barrel. A heat shield and bayonet lug are required for military 3443G Type I riot shotguns, and some 590A1s are so equipped, but it is not clear if the 590A1 heat shields have ever been offered for sale outside of the military market.
    With the comparisons above, I wouldn't hardly say that the aluminum safety tang and the aluminum trigger guard make for a more robust shotgun considering the receivers are exactly the same. Yes, the barrel is a heavier walled barrel and the 590 has an extended mag tube that can hold 3 more shells, but many owners have found that the heavier barrel and extra weight of the extended mag tube and extra shells makes the shotgun very front-end heavy. Many went back to the 500 because of the front-end heavy feeling.

You might want to hold one to see how it feels for yourself. And yes, you can buy ghost ring sights for your 500 directly from Mossberg.
    Welcome to Tennessee, the patron state of shootin' stuff.--SHOOTER

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I'd much rather have the 590, but not for the reasons you listed. The 590 is much heavier built, making a much more robust gun.
    +1
    That said; if you're not putting a lot of rounds down range, the 500 is fine.
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    +1

I opted for the 590. I felt it was a nice middle ground of all the models.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by rhinokrk View Post
    +1
    That said; if you're not putting a lot of rounds down range, the 500 is fine.
    This is so true, for most a 500 is fine. If you are going to take a shotgun course or compete in 3 gun matches then get the 590
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

I think as of right now I am going to stick with my 500. But I do want to get a 590 as well some day. I don't even have a place to shoot my shotguns right now so getting some rounds through a new one would be difficult. I may try to find a good gunsmith locally that can silver solder a front sight base on my 500 barrel for me so i can run ghost sights. Or I could just get the rail for the rear and run some kind of red dot. But, perhaps I am just looking for somewhere to spend money. Haha. I just can't get enough guns and gun stuff!! Thanks for all the replies!

Wht

NRA
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I recently bought a 590. I did alot of research first and thought I was buying a 590A1, but that's another story.

The only difference between a 590 and 590A1 is that the A1 has a heavy barrel, metal trigger guard and metal safety. The bayo lug and ghost ring sight aren't exclusive to the A1. Aside from the metal parts and heavier barrel, the 590 is the same gun. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I haven't read anything anywhere that showed that the 590 was heavier built than a 500.

Keep your 500, and get a different barrel for it; I have a 20" with rifle sights on mine.

Now is a GREAT time to look for used shotgun barrels; they tend to go up 20-30% in the fall when hunting season rolls around.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by pete156 View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I haven't read anything anywhere that showed that the 590 was heavier built than a 500.
    Forget about reading, go look at the two side by side, and take 'em apart if you can... its obvious.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links