AK-47 Ammo ?

This is a discussion on AK-47 Ammo ? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm looking at getting a AK47 but was wondering what is quality ammo? I've read that Wolf ammo is not good. I would like to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AK-47 Ammo ?

AK-47 Ammo ?

I'm looking at getting a AK47 but was wondering what is quality ammo? I've read that Wolf ammo is not good. I would like to know everyone's opinion as to which ammo to get.

Thanks!
    NRA Life Member
    VCDL Member

2. Remove Ads

AK 47 will eat anything you throw in it as far as plinking I would buy the cheapest i could find,even with quality ammo the accuracy is ok but not great.I've shot a lot of wolf ammo in my 7.62x39 guns
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

+1 to dukalmighty

Ak's can eat any diet of ammo you feed it

Quality ammo could be defined as self-reloaded ammo or stuff like Norma, Hornady or even Remington and Winchester.
    I am sworn to protect the Constitution of the U.S.A. from all threats both foreign and domestic.

Senior Member Array mech1369dlw's Avatar
    Your AK loves all types of Russian made, Steel cased ammo. It will eat Wolf, snack on Golden Tiger, then have U.S. rolled ammo for desert. The only problem that some AK's have is that sometimes they can't digest Hollow Points. Sometimes the soft or hollow point rounds will hang up on the bullet guide or get hung up right at the rear end of the barrel, just below the chamber. Not all AK's do this, just some. Feed it FMJ and it will shoot all day long.
    A person is justified in the use of deadly force, if such person reasonably believes deadly force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to such person or a third person.

VIP Member
    Feed it russian ammo. It is what they are designed to eat. Purist will always poopoo Wolf ammo.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

bae
    Wolf is fine for the AK. You can't go wrong with Wolf Military Classic.

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    I mainly shoot Wolf and Golden Tiger as its the only bulk ammo available around here, and when you have 6 or 8 thirty round magazines, you go through ammo like crazy at the range. I usually like to keep a minimum of 500 rounds on hand for emergency purposes, but plan to buy more in the very near future.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Administrator
    Normally I wouldnt touch the Wolf and the like with a ten foot pole let alone use it in one of my guns, but the AK is supposed to be like a hog. It'll eat whatever slop you give it.
    Never had an issue with any kind of ammo in my AK, or a reason to purchase a "premium" ammo for it.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Moderator
    The Wolf ammo didnt get a bad rap from the AK, it got a bad rap on the AR-15 because the laquered cases would gunk up the action after it got hot. Having experienced that myself, I dont use Wolf for my AR's, but have had no problems with any AK or SKS for that matter.

With that being said, Wolf ammo is still the best buy for bulk ammo. As long as its being fed to an AK, it'll be OK.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Thanks everyone! I appreciate the input. Sure sounds like Wolf in the AK will be no problem. That is good because ammo is not cheap these days.
    NRA Life Member
    VCDL Member

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    Wolf doesn't use that finish anymore...FYI
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

Senior Moderator
    That's correct, but there is still a bunch of it out there.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Is there any concern with 'corrosive ammo' in AKs? Ive heard some guns need special cleaning after firing some old commie surplus ammo?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeGoob View Post
    Is there any concern with 'corrosive ammo' in AKs? Ive heard some guns need special cleaning after firing some old commie surplus ammo?
    Berdan primers have corrsive salts my friend, salts that eat up non-chrome lined barrels and gas systems. Some people have chemical voodoo methods of cleaning up these salts but I have found that a good cleaning with the kit inside the ak's stock with hoppes #9 and a oiled patch work just fine for my ak.

take care!
    I am sworn to protect the Constitution of the U.S.A. from all threats both foreign and domestic.

I shoot both Wolf and Golden Tiger. Both work fine, but I get better accuracy with the Golden Tiger. Could just be my rifles, but they both agree on this topic.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links