SKS help

This is a discussion on SKS help within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hey guys, don't know much about these, but I think it would be a fun gun to own. The guy says it's a Chinese of ...

Thread: SKS help

SKS help

Hey guys, don't know much about these, but I think it would be a fun gun to own. The guy says it's a Chinese of unknown dating. He says it's in good shape, and he just put the folder on it. What are these worth? He's asking $250 obo

What should I be paying attention to when I look at it?

Sean
    XD 9SC | XD 45ACP Service | XD 45ACP Compact |Borealis
    "You may know where you are. God may know where you are. If you don't tell your dispatcher where you are, you'd better be on speaking terms with God!"

2. Remove Ads

B52
    $100 to $150 tops... Save a few more dollars and buy an AK.

yeah, $250 is $50 away from a Romanian AK
    I am sworn to protect the Constitution of the U.S.A. from all threats both foreign and domestic.

VIP Member
    With the folding stock, original pigsticker, and a 30rnd mag, $200 isn't too bad. With the obvious outside rust, however, I would be wary of what is inside. Many of the 15-20 year old SKSs had the corrosive Chinese ammo fired through them.

If you really want it, it is a simple design and there are only a couple of vitals to check. Look for a good bore. Check the gas tube and piston (lever on the right side of the rear sight will allow removing the top tube). Take that back cover off and look at the interior bolt parts. Check for rust, pitting and any other damage.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

If it was a perfect unmolested Norinco (and that is not) it would be worth between 200 and 250 on todays market.

Missing all the normal SKS things. has a aftermarket Magazine (these often are trouble), the original Stock is also missing. And I can tell you that I would suspect it is possible he did not bother to make the conversions completely 922r compliant when he did them... and little hope he still has the numbers matching parts? I would guess not. Never will be found again if so.

Besides... them some ugly feet.

Pass on it. Get a full example of a SKS. For $250 you can get a Nice original Norinco or even a Russian Tula if you look around. I know that the fellow I got my Russian Izzy from offered me a fine example of an unmolested Norinco for $250 shipped about 6 months back. It was mint. So was this Russian. Pay top dollar for a top condition SKS, not some molested junk. I passed on it and I don't know if he is interested in selling it now. He regrets selling me the Izzy.

Besides... them some ugly feet.
    I was gonna say something, but I knew it would only be a matter of time........

Pass on it. Get a full example of a SKS. For $250 you can get a Nice original Norinco or even a Russian Tula if you look around.
    Ditto. Personally, I wouldn't have one that wasn't original (with stock, etc...). I had a Norinco back when, but it went towards my SLR-95.

Thanks guys. I am just in the mood to buy a rifle. Don't know what yet, but will keep looking.
    Sean
    XD 9SC | XD 45ACP Service | XD 45ACP Compact |Borealis
    "You may know where you are. God may know where you are. If you don't tell your dispatcher where you are, you'd better be on speaking terms with God!"

An SKS is a fine choice and a nice compliment to a Russio-Chino set. An AK and an SKS, both in 7.62X39 are a must for that. And not getting any cheaper either.

Links