MSAR

This is a discussion on MSAR within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Anybody have an stg 556 and can give a good reason to own one besides just the AUG cool factor. I mean what does this ...

Thread: MSAR

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality

MSAR

Anybody have an stg 556 and can give a good reason to own one besides just the AUG cool factor. I mean what does this do that one of my M4orgery's won't.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    if it is your thing...then get it...but I like the modular or changibility of the M4 and the ability to get different parts easily.
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

Quote Originally Posted by snowdoctor View Post
    if it is your thing...then get it...but I like the modular or changibility of the M4 and the ability to get different parts easily.
    +1 It is kind of like 1911's and glock's, if something breaks, you can get parts just about anywhere.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

BAC
    Some folks like bull-pups... some folks like the quick-detatch/reattach barrel... some just plain want it.

I wouldn't turn one down if offered, but I'm not rushing out to buy one, myself.

-B

Rob,

The only reason I've entertained picking one up is the bullpup design seems to lend itself to a compact package without the need to delve into NFA/SBR territory.

MSAR's STG556 is a sexy little carbine, but I'm not sure if the feature-to-dollar ratio is where I like it.

B.

Quote Originally Posted by snowdoctor View Post

No I know that part (the modular) I've got 2.75 AR's now I'm just looking at going man it looks neat, I don't have a bulpulp EVILish looking gun. Therefore, I'm actually trying to get an unbiased opinion about it before I make a deciscion about the next EBR, Assault Rifle or scare the liberals gun, or in the MSAR's case Evil green or brown, Rifle. Just looking for another part of the arsenal. I guess and looking for reasons why I should get this vs. wait for the SCAR Light or Masada(ACR) which now is Q1 2009 for the civilian model.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Quote Originally Posted by arawn View Post
    Rob,

The only reason I've entertained picking one up is the bullpup design seems to lend itself to a compact package without the need to delve into NFA/SBR territory.

MSAR's STG556 is a sexy little carbine, but I'm not sure if the feature-to-dollar ratio is where I like it.

B.
    SEE thats what is really grabbing my attention, it doesn't look like a goofy civilian model (even the M4orgerys make me go (well it still had to be compliant) since it has the 16 inch barrel. The MSAR has the evil SBR look already and thats what another friend just said to me again.

The $ is the real deal breaker however, I'm trying to find some undeniable reason why I should have this, based on something besides want. Reason: I generally want something for 1 month get it and then say I don't want this any more(loosing money). The guns that I keep are guns that actually have served me with some type of purpose.

Now that one can find them at sub-$1500 prices given a little hunting, I do feel they warrant consideration. My wife really liked the handling qualities of it when she fondled one at a fun show.

B.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob99VMI04 View Post
    , I'm trying to find some undeniable reason why I should have this, based on something besides want.
    There isn't one. I have a friend with an AUG. If you have about $3K for the MSAR, spare parts and mags, go for it. Otherwise, it's an overly expensive toy. I like the AUG. Actually, I love the AUG, but without support, it simply isn't worth it.

Couple that with Tony's (Marfione) spotty CS history, and I would be a bit leery of buying one, unless it was, as stated, a full package with rebuild kit. In all honesty, he's royally screwed the non-LE MT owners. I wouldn't plan on better as an MSAR owner. YMMV, IMHO, etc., etc..

It's nice for a bullpup.
    Under the sword lifted high, there is Hell, making you tremble. But go ahead, and you have the land of Bliss.

~ Miyamoto Musashi

There's an MSAR on the shelf at my local gun shop. It's such a cool looking gun. $2,000 is a lot of money though.
    That's right, this sweet baby was made in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Retails for about a hundred and nine, ninety five. It's got a walnut stock, cobalt blue steel, and a hair trigger. That's right. Shop smart. Shop S-Mart. You got that?

http://www.nevadashooters.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rob72 View Post
    There isn't one. I have a friend with an AUG. If you have about $3K for the MSAR, spare parts and mags, go for it. Otherwise, it's an overly expensive toy. I like the AUG. Actually, I love the AUG, but without support, it simply isn't worth it.

Couple that with Tony's (Marfione) spotty CS history, and I would be a bit leery of buying one, unless it was, as stated, a full package with rebuild kit. In all honesty, he's royally screwed the non-LE MT owners. I wouldn't plan on better as an MSAR owner. YMMV, IMHO, etc., etc..
    Thanks Rob as usual you've helped in my decision. Just curious I know MSAR is Microtech, but for some reason I thought MSAR changed ownership.

I hope this isn't too off-topic, but, for around the same money, an LWRC carbine would make a hell of a purchase.
    Under the sword lifted high, there is Hell, making you tremble. But go ahead, and you have the land of Bliss.

~ Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by Seraph View Post
    I hope this isn't too off-topic, but, for around the same money, an LWRC carbine would make a hell of a purchase.
    Yeah Agreed LWRC used to test their stuff at our shop I got to shoot the Infantry Automactic Rifle IAR ( the closed bolt semi, switch to full auto Open both piston gun) the day before it went to the show (Future Weapons) and their stuff is awesome. One of their guy is shooting nothing but wolf ammo through it, and after 3,000 rounds without cleaning it looked clean. One guy said he could hook us up I asked about one of their guns he said no problem. I can have it to you in about 4-6 months. I had them diamond etch one my Glock 35 Slide and they do an awesome job on engraving as well.

Links