New "Defensive" Rifle (photos)

This is a discussion on New "Defensive" Rifle (photos) within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; O.K., not sure what I could defend against, but I decided I wanted one of these to keep in the truck for snakes and such ...

Thread: New "Defensive" Rifle (photos)

New "Defensive" Rifle (photos)

O.K., not sure what I could defend against, but I decided I wanted one of these to keep in the truck for snakes and such when out at the ranch. I've heard some stories of feed/ejection problems, but from reading the forums geared to this rifle, seems like the problem isn't too severe and not terribly difficult to remedy either with different ammo or by polishing the firing pin. Haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, but will try soon. First photos are of it in the stowed configuration and then an end shot of the stock showing receiver, barrel, and spare mag in their stowed positions. Whole thing only weighs 2 1/2 pounds.

Hoss

Henry U.S. Survival 22

Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

2. Remove Ads

Pretty sweet. I was looking at one of those for awhile. Let us know how it does.
    Benjamin Franklin once said, "he that would supplant a little liberty for a little safety deserves neither".

Senior Member Array Natureboypkr's Avatar
    That's a cool rifle, i remember seeing a commercial for that company on OutdoorTV
    Mixed Martial Arts Record= 2-0.......Kyokushin Karate Record=5-0

USMC.....helping enemies of America die for their countries since 1775

Quote Originally Posted by cvhoss View Post
    O.K., not sure what I could defend against, but I decided I wanted one of these to keep in the truck for snakes and such when out at the ranch.

You must have some REALLY big snakes in your part of the country!!

I've thought those Henry Survival Rifles were pretty cool...
    Here in FL, when my wife picks up pine needles for basket making, I picked up some snake shot for my S&W 637...I also have snake shot for my NAA Mini .22LR, but I feel the Snubby is a lot more shot for serious 'rattlers'.

Stay armed...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Lead Moderator
    Cool, don't drop it anywhere, you might lose it.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

BAC
    Neat little rifle. I've been hunting for a survival-type rifle for a while now, but I haven't heard much good on the durability of the little Henry rifles; seems like you have to be a little careful with 'em. But that they're waterproof when folded up is really cool. Handled the Springfield M6 not long ago, but the trigger mechanism is too weird for me (it's a squeeze lever, more or less, like that on an H&K P7). Let us know how it works for you!

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I've thought those Henry Survival Rifles were pretty cool...
    Here in FL, when my wife picks up pine needles for basket making, I picked up some snake shot for my S&W 637...I also have snake shot for my NAA Mini .22LR, but I feel the Snubby is a lot more shot for serious 'rattlers'.

Stay armed...stay safe!
    This native Floridian's more concerned with that other breed of snake. You know, the one that chases you.

-B

I used to have an old Charter Arms AR-7 that is the same thing as your rifle. It would occasionally balk with .22lr hollow points, but ran fine with solids.

You may want to stick with factory magazines as I never could get any of the after market ones to work properly.

Not that I was out looking to kill snakes, but it does a fine job in that department too if your out fishing and you run into Mr. no shoulders.

Nowadays, I use an NAA mini .22 magnum loaded with CCI birdshot for snake protection if I am out somewhere fishing or camping.

Congratulations on your new rifle and I am sure you will enjoy having that little nimrod around for plinking and emergencies. Perfect truck gun IMHO.
    God bless our troops!

I see no reason to justify getting a new gun
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by crzy4guns View Post
    I used to have an old Charter Arms AR-7 that is the same thing as your rifle. It would occasionally balk with .22lr hollow points, but ran fine with solids.
    I can see the HPs being a bit of a problem. The feed ramp (what little there is) is actually built inside of the magazine. There's no ramp into the barrel.

You may want to stick with factory magazines as I never could get any of the after market ones to work properly.
    That seems to be a common complaint on the boards dedicated to this little rifle. There are some 15 round after-market mags available, but doesn't seem like anyone can get them to run.

Not that I was out looking to kill snakes, but it does a fine job in that department too if your out fishing and you run into Mr. no shoulders.

Nowadays, I use an NAA mini .22 magnum loaded with CCI birdshot for snake protection if I am out somewhere fishing or camping.
    Though I've yet to see one on my property, there is a known population of timber rattlers just over a mile from me. I'm not a big fan of snakes in any configuration, but a rattler is something I really don't want to get close enough to use bird shot on and a full size shotgun is a little difficult to keep in the truck at all times. Normally if I'm going to be doing something else with my hands (fishing, cooking, etc.), I'll strap on my S&W Model 19 with 357 shotshells and it's pretty effective out to 10-12 feet, but I would prefer to not get that close to a rattler if I have a choice. Add in that last time I was out there, I saw a couple of snapping turtles poking there heads up out of the water and I didn't stock over a thousand bucks worth of fish in there for them to eat, I may have to try and scare them away.

Congratulations on your new rifle and I am sure you will enjoy having that little nimrod around for plinking and emergencies. Perfect truck gun IMHO.
    The idea of having something that could fit under the seat of the truck, was relatively impervious to damage (in it's stored position) and that was cheap enough I wouldn't care about nicks and scratches was the main reason for wanting something like this.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

I've had my "black"AR7 for several years now it is pretty accurate out to 25 yards and I'm sure with practice could take game out to 100 yards pretty easy,mine takes a licking and keeps on ticking it has 2 7 round mags and if you backpack or camp is a great gun,very light weight and it floats.I got mine for $70.00 in a pawn shop about 3 years ago
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Let us know how she shoots. Interesting rifle.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    I had one for a while. If there's any chance water could condense inside, be sure you leave the butt cap off now and then so it can evaporate; mine collected water even with the butt cap sealed with electrical tape.

I prefer my Sub-9 for that sort of thing, though. I was able to get the tac light made specifically for it before Kel-Tec stopped offering them. I also got a butt extension to protect the muzzle and front sight and a dust cover. Good little gun.

Links