Getting my rifles this year--stupid questions

This is a discussion on Getting my rifles this year--stupid questions within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This is the year to get the AR15 and AK ive always wanted. So ive been shopping around gun store/gunbroker.com etc. Is it bad to ...

Thread: Getting my rifles this year--stupid questions

Getting my rifles this year--stupid questions

This is the year to get the AR15 and AK ive always wanted. So ive been shopping around gun store/gunbroker.com etc.

Is it bad to want to get these through private sale as opposed to a gun store? Is it paranoid to think that if they do end up confiscating or tax stamping these kinds of rifles, that the paper trail is the first way they'd come looking?

2. Remove Ads

In IL? I don't think that's a stupid question at all. I'm paranoid. I would probably buy from a private seller, and make arangements to meet at the shooting range. That way you get to check function and make sure you like it.

As far as the gun ban/tax stamp, who knows? It would be such an ignorant law to pass because so many people would completely ignore it. Hopefully, we never see a ban again, but I doubt that will happen.

If you're a betting man, the Heller decision could effect prices significantly. If they rule it is not an individual right, prices will go up over night. If they rule that there should be no restrictions, prices could drop significantly.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by Kerbouchard View Post
    In IL? I don't think that's a stupid question at all. I'm paranoid. I would probably buy from a private seller, and make arangements to meet at the shooting range. That way you get to check function and make sure you like it.

As far as the gun ban/tax stamp, who knows? It would be such an ignorant law to pass because so many people would completely ignore it. Hopefully, we never see a ban again, but I doubt that will happen.

If you're a betting man, the Heller decision could effect prices significantly. If they rule it is not an individual right, prices will go up over night. If they rule that there should be no restrictions, prices could drop significantly.
    ...and I believe that we are going to find out in just a night or two...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

is there a way to ask a seller about a private sale without sounding like a criminal?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeGoob View Post
    is there a way to ask a seller about a private sale without sounding like a criminal?
    Just go to a gun show and look for someone walking around with one. Or check the for sale sections in gun forums and ask for a Face to face meeting.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

If you know what to look for, then your in much better position to make that decision.

For instance, is the gas key staked properly ? What kind of malfunctions has the previous owner experienced ? Is the castle nut staked properly ? If not then why not ? Barrel wear and is the barrel chrome lined and what twist rate ? What type of chamber ? 5.56? Wylde? Match ? etc .

There's a whole laundry list of things to look for, but I'd recommend hanging out over at M4Carbine.net for a while to read and learn all you can about the AR15 line of rifles.

There's some knowledgable people over there, to include industry professionals and manufacturer reps that share alot of brain power on a daily basis.
    Perhaps your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    private sale is a good option....but you can build an AR for much cheaper than you can buy...and it isn't too hard....just an idea.
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

Is it bad to want to get these through private sale as opposed to a gun store?
    If your state allows undocumented private sales, it's certainly the only way to acquire a gun without paperwork.

Is it paranoid to think that if they do end up confiscating or tax stamping these kinds of rifles, that the paper trail is the first way they'd come looking?
    It's most certainly one of the avenues they'll use to come looking. Paranoid? Nope. It's simple recognition of reality. Some will think that such folks are paranoid for being concerned, in the least way, about "authorities" who are ostensibly out there to protect you, but I'd argue that they haven't thought through the problem and are wholly unaware of history. Paranoid? I think not. But, what of it? If it ends up keeping your guns off the radar and that's what you want, that's all that matters.

Sure, just indicate that you prefer private FTF transactions. Lots of folks do. The mere fact that criminal do hardly makes you one. If pressed, simply state that you're a CHL (if you are) and prefer to keep things off the radar, given recent history. If that freaks the seller, so be it. There are plenty out there.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Thanks for the tips guys. I just got my first defensive rifle (in the AK pic thread)

now for an AR :)

Links