Buckshot out of a rifled slug barrel

This is a discussion on Buckshot out of a rifled slug barrel within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've come across a good deal on a Rem. 870 youth 20 ga. with a rifled slug barrel and was wondering how the rifling would ...

Thread: Buckshot out of a rifled slug barrel

Buckshot out of a rifled slug barrel

I've come across a good deal on a Rem. 870 youth 20 ga. with a rifled slug barrel and was wondering how the rifling would affect large birdshot and buckshot at home defense ranges.

Thanks

2. Remove Ads

Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan; by way of St. Mayberry, GA
    It's not th best thing for the barrel, but it'll shoot.

Extra barrels arn't too expensive or too difficult to find. Put in the time and money and get the right barrel(s) for the right application.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Senior Moderator
    A rifled barrel will cause a patern to open up and its speard will become inconstiant, but shot will not harm the barrel.

As said above extra barrels are not that expensive, so you can use shot until you can get another barrel for it.
    Sometimes I wonder who the old man in the mirror is....

Lord, Grant me a good sword and no need to use it.

Administrator
    both posts above are worth echoing, if you go to the hardware store looking for a hammer, but spend you money on a good deal of screw driver you don't need, what have you saved in the big picture? You still will end up buying a that hammer sooner or later.
    "Just blame Sixto"

From my experience with one 870 12 ga. with a rifled barrel and buckshot, I would never use one for a home defense gun. I made a post some time ago about our test with a new 870 a friend bought. Here is the relevant portion:
    At 15 yards on a full size B-27 target with 2 Winchester 00 buckshot loads, only 2 of the 9 pellets hit anywhere on the target on our first try. We repeated this test over and over and never had more than 3 pellets hit the paper and no single pellet ever hit the 9/10 ring.
    Again, this test was done with a full size B-27 target (35" X 45") so if you use a shotgun with a rifled barrel and buckshot for home defense, you better be absolutely sure of what's behind your target as 60-70% of those big pellets are going to miss the target.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Thanks everybody, I'll probably buy it just because its a good deal and pick up a smoothbore barrel later.
    kracker

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kracker View Post
    Thanks everybody, I'll probably buy it just because its a good deal and pick up a smoothbore barrel later.
    kracker
    You can get 870 barrels made by Mossberg, yes I said Mossberg, for about 100 bucks. Check Midway, Natchez, and Cabelas for pricing.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    You can get 870 barrels made by Mossberg, yes I said Mossberg, for about 100 bucks. Check Midway, Natchez, and Cabelas for pricing.
    Thanks, I'll definitely check them out.

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    you can also get a barrel for it made by Hastings...but if it is a great deal, I would agree on getting it and shopping for a barrel...you can always swap the rifled barrel or sell it and re-coop some of your money...
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

Links