Total "newb" wondering if Moss 590's good for my first purchase? A few more newb Q's.

This is a discussion on Total "newb" wondering if Moss 590's good for my first purchase? A few more newb Q's. within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by sniper58 Welcome to the Forum!! I agree with the input so far. I'd add one more comment to the list. If you ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Total "newb" wondering if Moss 590's good for my first purchase? A few more newb Q's.

Quote Originally Posted by sniper58 View Post
    Welcome to the Forum!!

I agree with the input so far. I'd add one more comment to the list. If you are serious about (legally) hunting, you won't be able to use the one in your pic. You are capped at 5-shots for everything except waterfowl. Birds allow only 3-shot capacity in your shotgun.
    That probably varies from state to state. Other than waterfowl, there are no magazine capacity limits in Mississippi. I can take my AR with a 30 round mag. and hunt with it. Waterfowl is only three rounds though. One chambered and two in the mag. Must be plugged.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array flagflyfish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sgtD View Post
    Yeah, I know some tommy tactical types who hunt birds with riot guns. Heat sheilds, pistol grip stocks, ghost ring sights and all. I ahve to laugh, but anyway you can just plug the chamber with a dowel to make it legal.
    I've not seen that, but I would have to laugh too. My 1100 (vent rib,29"bbl) doubles as a backup HD shotgun, but when I'm headed to the field I simply put the plug back in.
    "These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier
    and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the
    service of his country; but he that stands it now, deserves the
    love and thanks of man and woman."

-- Thomas Paine (The American Crisis, No. 1, 19 December 1776)

Quote Originally Posted by sgtD View Post
    Yeah, I know some tommy tactical types who hunt birds with riot guns. Heat sheilds, pistol grip stocks, ghost ring sights and all. I ahve to laugh, but anyway you can just plug the chamber with a dowel to make it legal.
    Again, an excellent reason to buy a longer barrel and the shorter mag tube. Mossys are screwed in, not soldered, ala Remington.

I've shot skeet with an 18" 1300 (only shotty I had.) Funny, yeah, but you sure as poop wouldn't want to be on the other end after my afternoon of perfecting popping clays out of the thrower, with no hang-time.

My Mossberg, 54169, came with a wood stock, and plastic hand grip, I have no plans to use it. It also came with a dowel in it, because I don't hunt, I removed it.

VIP Member
    good deal on a great HD/SD shotgun
    I would dedicate this to defense and pick up a 500 model for hunting
    you can get a combo of field (28" vent rib ported barrel for hunting) and an 18" for defense, or the 28" and a slug barrel for deer hunting
    or you can just get the 500 with 28" dedicated for hunting
    FWIW....I've had my Mossy 500 18.5" barrel (7+1 in the chamber) since 1998 and have blasted bird/buck shot and slugs through it with no problems or issues
    I've tried the 3" magnum 12 pellet buck shot (some my dad had, don't know why).....don't do it, don't waste your money or your shoulder, just stick with 2.75" 00/slugs
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Quote Originally Posted by Rob72 View Post
    Again, an excellent reason to buy a longer barrel and the shorter mag tube. Mossys are screwed in, not soldered, ala Remington.

I've shot skeet with an 18" 1300 (only shotty I had.) Funny, yeah, but you sure as poop wouldn't want to be on the other end after my afternoon of perfecting popping clays out of the thrower, with no hang-time.
    I have a good friend who shoots sporting clays courses with an old pump Winchester riot gun, with a hammer on it. Sometimes he wins the tourneys and he is always at the top somewhere. It's his cowboy action gun I think. Nothing wrong with that.

I was referring to a time when I worked as a bird hunting guide and a bunch of commandos came out one day with those guns, they were in fatigues and everything. I though that they might have suspected a "Pheasant uprising" that they were trying to put down or something.

I also went deer hunting with a guy who had a Benelli riot gun with some type of tritium holosight type deal on it. He got a few strange looks around camp too. Hunters are gun snobs too you know.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Administrator
    LOL, I've shot sporting clays and skeet with a riot gun before, just for the fun of it. I found out that its pretty good training to learn how your defensive shotgun swings etc., there is a lot of value in doing that.
    However, if I showed up to the bean field with a riot gun, I don't think my dog would even get out of the truck. He's very proper and gets embarrassed easily.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Member Array Gun Loving Liveral's Avatar
    I have a blued Mossberg 590 by my bed all the time. A very good gun, especially for the price. If you do go with the Mariner model remember that 'corrosion resistant" is not the same as "corission proof". You will still need to put a VERY thin coat of oil or protective coating on all the metal a couple of times a year even if it is not fired. I think you would like that gun for self-defense. I also agree with all the comments that 2.75" shells in 00 buckshot are adequate for anything in North America except maybe bear or moose!
    In Oklahoma, even we liberals like guns!

Does anybody know where I can purchase a Mossberg 590 A1 online? I'm in Texas and have been looking for it everywhere, but all the gun stores tell me there is no such thing as a 590 with a 18.5 inch barrel. They also told me that they think it comes with a bayonet lug and those are illegal for civilians. I've never heard of this, is this true?

Can someone help please?

Thanks,

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    Gunbroker has several of the guns, though I haven't seen one that had an 18.5 inch barrel either.

Some have the bayonett lugs and some don't. Personally if legal in your state, I would view such a thing as a better to have and not need feature.
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

I have two Mossy 590 Mariners. I bought them about 10 years ago for bear protection in Alaska, and now they serve for HD. Great guns. Perfect length -- you won't notice the extra 1.5", but you will gain another shell in the mag and a bit more velocity.

I've hunted with my 590 once -- loading a single shell at a time for ptarmagin when it was the only shotgun I had on a hunting trip. I don't recommend it!

As far as the MarineCoat, it seems indestructable. I literally had my guns bouncing around in the bottom of a drift boat for a week and they never showed any effect. I have never had to put any oil on the finish to prevent corrosion -- and they virtually look new 10+ years later.

As others have said, you're going to do your shoulder serious damage with 100 rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by gunlock View Post
    Does anybody know where I can purchase a Mossberg 590 A1 online? I'm in Texas and have been looking for it everywhere, but all the gun stores tell me there is no such thing as a 590 with a 18.5 inch barrel. They also told me that they think it comes with a bayonet lug and those are illegal for civilians. I've never heard of this, is this true?

Can someone help please?

Thanks,
    Mossberg made several special runs of the 590A1 with the 18.5"bbl which has screwin chokes, with the ghostring sights. Here's mine.

[IMG][/IMG]

BAC
    Quote Originally Posted by Skygod View Post
    If you shoot 100 OO Buck shells in 15 minutes then get back to me.
    See, now that y'all said it, I'm going to have to try it. Thanks a lot guys.

-B

Just a note I believe the "CB" in the model description refers to the type of choke the shotgun has in this case it is the Cylinder Bore.

I have a 590a1 I used for work, (it was a father day gift) I gave back my AR when the Federal Flight control wad came out.
    "Arms in the hands of individual citizens may be used at individual discretion..in private self defense." John Adams

I don't find anything in this years Mossberg catalog with an improved choke. I'm still sort of on the edge about the Rem 870 or Mossy 590.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links