Total "newb" wondering if Moss 590's good for my first purchase? A few more newb Q's.

This is a discussion on Total "newb" wondering if Moss 590's good for my first purchase? A few more newb Q's. within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This one: http://www.impactguns.com/store/medi...moss_46273.jpg Mossberg 590 Mariner, 12Ga, 9 Shot, CB Package, Synthetic, 20 Inch Price: $439.99 I like the "Mariner" because it says it has ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Total "newb" wondering if Moss 590's good for my first purchase? A few more newb Q's.

Total "newb" wondering if Moss 590's good for my first purchase? A few more newb Q's.

This one: http://www.impactguns.com/store/medi...moss_46273.jpg

Mossberg 590 Mariner, 12Ga, 9 Shot, CB Package, Synthetic, 20 Inch

Price: $439.99

I like the "Mariner" because it says it has a corrosion-resistant finish on it.

Is there anything I should be wary about? I don't know much differences in shotguns, personally.

Try not to laugh at my questions?

What do they mean by "CB package" ?

What is the difference with the 2 3/4" shell, 3" shell and 3 1/2" shell stuff? Can the gun I linked above handle all of these sizes? I'd like to shoot the most powerful shells, if I can, and other different kinds and powered loads, at the same time.

I was reading something about the Mossberg 590a1 being heavier than the others for more "combat durability," and heard there're Moss models (590a1 only?) that can take constant shooting abuse with the heat and all? Which ones?

Will the regular 590 (linked above) stand up to at least 50 to 100 shells within 15 minutes, for example? I don't think I'll be in a situation (defense or hunting) where I'd have to worry much about this, but I still like being prepared for the unknown. I am just like that, I guess. ;)

Anyone else own the exact (or close) model linked above? How do you like it?

What is recoil like? I'm not too recoil-shy... but just curious I guess.

How much do the other barrels cost for a conversion? Like the 26" and 28" barrels?

And I read it can be converted to .50, as well? Or would that be another model...?

I live in the middle of the woods, and I do plan on hunting with it, as well.

I was reading about the different densities of shotgun slugs, and I am most likely going to buy the soft expanding lead shells for home defense against human criminals; I'll get the hardest slugs I can buy for bear protection in the woods.

Anyone know a store (online) that has a wide selection to buy these?

I was looking at some "unique" shells to purchase (online) here DeltaForce.com, as well. I saw some armor piercing shells, but wondering how effective they'd be against a criminal with a BP vest on?

I know, crazy (or at least unusual) question, but curiosity gets the best of me. I like being prepared for rare occasions. ;)

Thanks to anyone that can answer any or all of my questions!

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    1. The shotgun in the pic will take any abuse you can dish out it is very good.

2. I think the pistol grip is the "cb package" but I'm not sure. CQB means "close quarters battle" but CB is unknown to me.

3. The above shotgun will feed 2 3/4 and 3 inch shells. 3 1/2 inch shells are for duck hunting (mostly) so its not an issue. Besides the recoil of a 3 inch 00 buck load is pretty heavy. I would not want to shoot a 3.5 inch buckshot load it would be downright painful!

4. Yest the gun would handle 50 to 100 rounds in 15 minutes. But your shoulder won't.

In response to all your other questions. This is not a hunting shotgun. They do not make interchangable barrels for this model. It is a very good tactical shotgun, but if you want a hunting gun buy the regular 500 and then get an 18.5 inch barrel for home defense. A new 500 can be had at wally world for about 225 bucks. Extra barrel 90 bucks.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    3. The above shotgun will feed 2 3/4 and 3 inch shells. 3 1/2 inch shells are for duck hunting (mostly) so its not an issue. Besides the recoil of a 3 inch 00 buck load is pretty heavy. I would not want to shoot a 3.5 inch buckshot load it would be downright painful!

+1 on too painful. I have 3 1/2" turkey loads that are just abusive to my shoulder. For home defense, I would stick with a good 2 3/4" buckshot. That is more than enough to get the job done.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Welcome to the forum! I think that's a decent price on the Mariner. I'd also suggest going for the 500 model new, and finding a used barrel and chopping it down to just over legal or 18 1/2". That's what I did a few years back. I found that extra barrel at a pawn shop and paid like $45 for it. I had a full length pistol grip stock on mine from Black Warrior and I had mine finely tuned enough I could cycle the action just by holding the stock in my shooting hand and thrusting it forward and back. I wish I'd never sold my Ithaca 37 though. Good luck on it all.

Welcome...

from Central Florida!

ret

Shottie's are great HD weapons...but a shorter barrel will move around (inside the home)corners a lot easier.
    I only have a double barrel coach gun, and I only keep 2.75 00buck in it...it's all one needs for HD...OMO!

Stay armed...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

You're getting a good one there. The 20" barrel means you're getting 8 rounds in the tube, IIRC. It will take whatever you put through it.

Regarding "specialty ammo": I wouldn't, it's pretty much a waste of time. A Remington Copper Solid will put anyone wearing a vest on their rear. It might penetrate, even if it doesn't, odds are good you'll kill them with cardiogenic shock COM, or a temporary/permanent paralyzation with a COM in the back. Obviously, these are aimed, not overly mobile shots. If you're being mobile, the fan of 00 is nice if you are dissuading someone from doing whatever you don't want them doing and may use lethal force for. Basically, 00 and slugs are a good stock-it-deep diet.

I would suspect that "hi-cap" shotties may come under the gun, so to speak, in the near future. I would pick up the 6 round mag tube for $30 from Brownells, and an extra firing pin, and parts 11, 12, 16 &17 without question. An extra trigger group and the shorter barrel when you can. Most folks are worried about their black rifles. truth is, it will be a whole lot easier to restrict shotties with >6 round capacity and one-hand opening folding knives (as GB has done) first. Just food for thought.
    Brownells - World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories and Gunsmithing Tools

Edit to add: "Most powerful" is a bit misleading with 12g. 3"-3 1/2" Magnums are really unnecessary. You pick up 2 or so more pellets, and a tad of range for substantially more kick on you. FWIW, I shoot 100+ rounds of trap & skeet loads for play, and another 25 of 00 and slugs in a session, so I'm not shy about the thumper. I like the KickEeze brand recoil pads, also available from Brownells. Having tried most of the others, KickEeze made the most difference for me. have fun!

I recently purchased a Mossberg 500 pump combo, it came with a 28 inch barrel and an 18 1/2 incher, also a pistol grip kit. $300. You'll want the longer barrel for hunting, the short one for HD.
    I don't hunt, but will use the long barrel at the skeet/trap range.
    I use only target shells, which will work(?) for HD too.

Another package offered is the 28" barrel for birds and waterfowl, along with a rifled slug barrel for big game. I have one of these set ups and I don't know how you could get one gun to cover more hunting situations than that one will. And to topp it all off, the rifled barrel is only 24", so it's still compact enough for HD work.

JMO, but I'd throw the pistol grip in the trash. A shoulder fired weapon should be fired from the shoulder if you intend to hit your target under stress. A shotgun is not like a handgun that can be held at arms length and aimed, so what you end up with is an Iraqi style, from the hip-spray and pray. You could get good at it I guess, but again IMO, pistol grips on shotguns are not that great. Besides, your hand will scream in pain if you fire a slug or buckshot with a pistol grip on.

One thing to watch for when buying a new Mossy. It may not be an issue with the 590, but some of the 500s have hollow plastic stocks that are absolute crap, not because of durability, but because the lack of weight in the rear throws off the balance of the whole gun. Stay away from those if at all possible.

If you do get a good deal on one with a hollow stock and decide to buy it, you can fill the stock with weight and foam as a last resort. I did one using a ziplock bag full of pennies until the weight was right and then filled it with great stuff foam. It turned out fine and now the gun will always be worth something:-). But why do it if you can avoid it before purchase?

Good Luck.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Welcome to the forum from sunny AZ.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

If you shoot 100 OO Buck shells in 15 minutes then get back to me. I have a good orthopedic surgeon I can refer you too. :D
    Perhaps your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    Welcome to the Forum!!

I agree with the input so far. I'd add one more comment to the list. If you are serious about (legally) hunting, you won't be able to use the one in your pic. You are capped at 5-shots for everything except waterfowl. Birds allow only 3-shot capacity in your shotgun.
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

The Mossberg will work just fine. 2 3/4 inch 00 buck will do the job, I'd go with the high brass Remington shells for a little more power.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Skygod View Post
    If you shoot 100 OO Buck shells in 15 minutes then get back to me. I have a good orthopedic surgeon I can refer you too. :D
    +100.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Senior Member Array flagflyfish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sniper58 View Post
    Welcome to the Forum!!

I agree with the input so far. I'd add one more comment to the list. If you are serious about (legally) hunting, you won't be able to use the one in your pic. You are capped at 5-shots for everything except waterfowl. Birds allow only 3-shot capacity in your shotgun.
    Just cut a dowel for a mag plug.
    "These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier
    and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the
    service of his country; but he that stands it now, deserves the
    love and thanks of man and woman."

-- Thomas Paine (The American Crisis, No. 1, 19 December 1776)

Quote Originally Posted by flagflyfish View Post
    Just cut a dowel for a mag plug.
    Yeah, I know some tommy tactical types who hunt birds with riot guns. Heat sheilds, pistol grip stocks, ghost ring sights and all. I ahve to laugh, but anyway you can just plug the chamber with a dowel to make it legal.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links