AR 15 questions

This is a discussion on AR 15 questions within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Am i a nut for seeing a good reason to have a gun chambered in standard mil spec cal.? Nope. But I'd be sure it's ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AR 15 questions

Am i a nut for seeing a good reason to have a gun chambered in standard mil spec cal.?
    Nope. But I'd be sure it's chambered for 5.56 rather than .223.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Nope. But I'd be sure it's chambered for 5.56 rather than .223.
    +1

"Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

ok so the whole 5.56 vs .223

What i have gathered is that

A 5.56 chambered gun can shoot .223

A .223 chambered gun CAN NOT shoot 5.56

i believe its because the mil spec 5.56 is higher pressure? is this backwards? i understand it it best to shoot the chambered round but i also know sometimes 5.56 can be cost prohibitive and hard to find to boot.

Lead Moderator
    5.56 is higher pressure. 5.56 chambered barrel will shoot .223 rem just fine.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

With everything said in this thread, I'm still eye balling a gas piston operations system. The LWRC looks just fine, but the price tag has me wondering if I really need it.
    Perhaps your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

Quote Originally Posted by Skygod View Post
    With everything said in this thread, I'm still eye balling a gas piston operations system. The LWRC looks just fine, but the price tag has me wondering if I really need it.
    I kinda have the opinion that if it's not broke don't fix it. Might be a little more reliable, but not that much? Although, please don't let me talk you out of buying a rifle by any means. :p

You should help out the state economy and try out some Doublestar.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

Quote Originally Posted by SammyIamToday View Post
    I kinda have the opinion that if it's not broke don't fix it. Might be a little more reliable, but not that much? Although, please don't let me talk you out of buying a rifle by any means. :p

You should help out the state economy and try out some Doublestar.
    LOL !!

Yeah, those LWRC's are pretty darned expensive, and it's just the upper I'm looking at not a complete rifle.

I'm sold on the operation of a gas piston and op rod system vs a direct impingement. However, with that in mind, I don't foresee myself spending any time in riverrhine or salt water or anymore sandstorms. In my opinion the gas piston operating rod system is more reliable in austere conditions than a direct impingement system. Many would say that weapon poor weapon maintenance is the culprit behind the M4's failures and I would agree with that statement.

I believe the gas piston operation is what the AR15 should have been in the first place. AK's are gas piston operating and no one would argue the reliability of that weapon system. Heat transfer and carbon fouling being directly into the bolt face and reciever does have it pitfalls and I agree that a properly lubricated weapon will run smoothly for thousands of rounds. I suppose I'm just sold on the idea that a gas piston system that release gases at the sight block instead of into the bolt face and reciever is kinda of like a "No brainer"

With that said, I don't have too many problems my current inventory of AR's, unless I created them myself.

I think a Double Star will work just fine for my needs at this stage in my life. Not like I don't already own a few AR's but I'm always in the market for more firearms.

BATFE=Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives............................can't have too many of each.

J&T advertises that they use mil-spec parts. DS seems to be too new to show up on the M4/AR15 charts that are floating around though, so I don't know the validity of that claim. I figured going with a LMT BCG and using the DS stuff should be pretty darn close.

Although mil-spec isn't always a good thing. Worth finding out at the least. And the DS guys seem to be real nice (they come to the gun shows in Lexington and set up a booth).

I'd say gas piston is better as well, but impingement seems to work fine if you clean. And it definitely seems to create a more accurate weapon. My DSPM SASS shoots better than a lot of bolt guns and has 19 rounds of .308 on tap. So, depending upon your needs, it can be a bonus. Six one way and half a dozen the other I guess.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

Many times owners for more expensive rifles, like LaRue etc...., like to put down anything that costs 1/3 what they paid, although I haven't read that in this thread. But DS gets beat up on sometimes from those wanting to feel better about maxing out their CC on a single rifle. DS makes a fine rifle and it will suit your needs just fine. Check out CMMG they had some bargain bin rifles that were going for $575 and were selling like hot cakes.

NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

thats for all the good info, i'm going to Buds today to pick up the Les Baer.
    Sig P250 9mm
    Ed Brown 1911 Kobra 45ACP
    Ruger Mark III 22
    Browning Silver 12ga
    Browning BAR 30-06

Quote Originally Posted by mig7410 View Post
    thats for all the good info, i'm going to Buds today to pick up the Les Baer.
    Good choice, although it's rare that many people go the Les Baer or Wilson Combat route when considering an AR15.

I inherited a Les Baer Thunder Ranch Special AR15 about two years ago and it is hands down the best built AR15 that I have ever owned and or fired.

I made some minor mods to it after I recieved it.

I tore off the A2 stock and installed the LMT reciever extension (6 position) and put a Vltor EMOD stock on it.

I also did the usual optics and mounts. Aimpoint M3 with LaRue Cantilever mount, Aimpoint 3x magnifier with LaRue Tactical pivot mount and a Troy rear flip up BUIS. I also replaced the grip with a Magpul MIAD grip the enhanced trigger guard.

I have a Harris SL BI-POD mounted on a LaRue Tactical BI-POD mount that is also a throw lever.

The light is a Surefire G2LED mounted with LaRue tactical offset mount.

It's one hell of a good rifle and as promised will hold 1/2 MOA all day long off the bench. Great barrel, stainless 416 with Bench rest cut rifling and 1/8 twist.

The front sight gas block is his own propietary flip up spring loaded front sight with a Triji Tritium front sight post.

It's my beauty queen.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links