AR 15 questions

AR 15 questions

This is a discussion on AR 15 questions within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Anyone have experience with double star AR platforms? i'm not looking for the super accurate don't think im crazy to expect 1moa at 100 am ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AR 15 questions

AR 15 questions

Anyone have experience with double star AR platforms? i'm not looking for the super accurate don't think im crazy to expect 1moa at 100 am i? but i do want a solid gun, I am a noob to the ar platform but they seem to be as plug and play as 10/22 for upgrades and such. am i off my rocker?

no personal experience, but most things I read about them seem good
    heres an article from guns and ammo that has only positive things to say about the rifles

DoubleStar Tactical Rifles

not to mention they wont break the bank
    Heres one for only $700 from aimsurplus

AIM Double Star S-15 .223/5.56 M4 Rifle Double Star S-15 .223/5.56 M4 Rifle
    GUN CONTROL IS USING BOTH HANDS

I believe its a shoulder thing that goes up - Carolyn McCarthy (D)

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says go away in every language.
    -Clint Smith

I've been one to believe that "you get what you pay for" especially when the question refers to most firearms.

Upgrades are nice, but if your weapon can't hold a decent MOA at 100 meters then an Aimpoint or EOtech and any other fancy optics aren't going to improve that particular negative attribute of the weapon.

You can find RRA's and Bushmasters for a couple of hundred dollars more and feel fairly confident in those manufacturers rifles.

You may wind up swapping out the bolt and carrier if the gas key isn't staked properly, even though a good smith can stake it for you. And even the Mil-Spec extension kit if it's not also staked at the castle nut. Fairly common traits of lesser known and inexpensive rifles on the AR15 market. You spend another $350-$400 for just those two clean up of the components, not to mention if you want to swap out the stock to an LMT SOPMOD or VLTOR EMOD stock. That's another $165-$200.

I'd take a close look at the feed ramps also. Are they M4 feed ramps and how wide and smooth do they look upon inspection of the chamber and feed ramps ?

Make sure the FSB is an "F" marked Mil-Spec block also. It probably is but a savvy AR15 enthusiast will look for it first thing along with the other concerns that I've mentioned.

What you read in gun rags is not reliable. I've yet to see them down and out any firearm that they feature in their magazines. Afterall, they need their adervtising dollars to keep printing and sustain supscribership.
    Perhaps your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

i'll admit it i am a total newb to the ar 15 platform

What exactlty is the mil spec extension kit?
    Can one check to verify staking of the gas key And castle nut?
    If so where would one look?

Are the M4 feed ramps the better style to have?

What is an FSB?

Best question yet anyone have a link to an armorers break down or an AR platforms for dummies type sight?

The gas key will be staked if you look at the bolts it should have two v's that press the metal from the bolt carrier into the bolt to keep it from turning,the castle nut is on the stock and if you look there is spot that should have it staked .FSB =Front Sight Base,M4 feedramps tend to feed more reliable.I will try to find some pics showing staking
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

staked gas key,not a very good job but gives youan ideathe indents should be into the bolts a little heavier the
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"

Castle nut staked on a collapsible stock

Lead Moderator
    Start by reading on AR15.COM. Most seem to find the Double star brand stuff good enough for plinking and general use. You can spend more , but in all reality unless you are looking for a serious use AR almost any of the mid priced AR's will work just fine.
    Mil extension and m4 ramps are not a must. If you wish to shoot NATO mil ammo make sure you get a 5.56 mm chambered gun as opposed to a .223 Rem or Wylde chamber(most AR's are 5.56mm chambered).
    FSB = Front sight Base - 2 types are commonly manufactured one marked with and "F"
    You can always stake the bolts yourself with a punch and hammer if need be .
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I've come across many kudos for the Doublestar lowers on other forums. Some say it's comparable or better than Stag's lowers. What they use or recommend for uppers I don't know as I don't pay too much attention since I'm a simple rifle buyer when it comes to the AR-15 rifle and not a builder. I have no personal experience with them.

The Mil-Spec extension kit is the tube that the retractible stock resides on. It houses the buffer and action spring. If your AR15 is sporting an A2 style stock (fixed) then it's easy to purchase a Mil-Spec extension kit and replace the fixed stock with the retractible. Some people like to use the term "telescopic" when referring to a retractible stock.

You can find both 5 position and 6 positions Mil-Spec extension kits. The kit will come with the extension (tube) and the plate and castle nut, buffer and action spring. You'll find that these pieces are relatively easy to install, if you have a stock wrench, which can be purchased at Brownells for about $8

The staking of the castle nut is clearly seen in the above picture provided.

Here's the extension kit: Stock Hardware Mounting Kit (Mil-Spec)

Interestingly when I purchased the last extension kit from Bravo, as linked above, it came packaged in an LMT marked bag. This link say's "BCM" but underneath say's "LMT" I guess you'll get what's ever in stock, assuming you have to change out from a fixed stock.

If you purchase a rifle with a retractable stock then it's already got the Mil-Spec extension.

Having a doublestar upper built right now (20" heavy barrel). Got a doublestar lower (carbine) and a LMT BCG to go in it. Should have it together in another week or so (waiting on the free float handguards to come in before they ship).

I should have an accuracy report for you soon after that if you're going to wait. They are made in Winchester, KY which is not far from here and I can't seem to find anyone that will say anything negative about them. Seems like a lot of people around here are buying them and everyone I've talked to love them. They also have grade a customer service.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

Quote Originally Posted by SammyIamToday View Post
    Having a doublestar upper built right now (20" heavy barrel). Got a doublestar lower (carbine) and a LMT BCG to go in it. Should have it together in another week or so (waiting on the free float handguards to come in before they ship).

I should have an accuracy report for you soon after that if you're going to wait. They are made in Winchester, KY which is not far from here and I can't seem to find anyone that will say anything negative about them. Seems like a lot of people around here are buying them and everyone I've talked to love them. They also have grade a customer service.
    Who's rail system are you using ???

Quote Originally Posted by Skygod View Post
    Who's rail system are you using ???
    Going with an aluminum free float tube. Didn't want a rail for this particular one. Although looked pretty hard at the PRI carbon fiber ones.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

As for Double Star rifles.

Since I'm also a Kentuckian, there are a few AR15 armorers around this area that are pretty impressed with their rifles, given the price point. I haven't personally ever looked one over nor fired one to develope any opinion yea or nay for the particular brand.

Here's some thoughts.

1. It's inexpensive enough to use as a decent trunk gun or plinking rifle.

2. Assuming it's all Mil-Spec'd then it should hold 2 MOA and chamber 5.56 and .223 Rem comfortably. You'll most likely wind up fireing more .223 Rem than military designated loads anyway. I've not had any NATO ammunition for quite a while with recent increases in prices.

3. It's flat topped. You can mount a rear flip up iron sight and then decide which type of optic and mounts you want. I personally like the Aimpoint M3 and M4 and I don't run any optics on anything but LaRue Tactical mounts. LaRue Tactical

4. If the bolt and carrier look as if their staked properly along with the staking of the castle nut and has a decent looking feed ramps, then it's not a bad bargain in my book.

I'm curious now to actually lay my hands on one to see the fit and finish and the internals as well all other manufacturing concerns.

Hope we helped ya out some.

As mentioned. M4Carbine.net and AR15.COM are great places to hang out and read alot.

Also, try to get ahold of an armorers book. Study the parts and where they belong and read even more about the parts and operation that don't understand.

Cheers

Thanks for all the input

all the infor is very halpful and thankyou, i am looking for a basic truck/closet gun that handles high cap 30 rnds and is decently accurate. if i need accuracy i have that in many different bolt guns but have just wanted to ad an ar to the stable for awhile now. Am i a nut for seeing a good reason to have a gun chambered in standard mil spec cal.?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links