Bushmaster 9mm carbine: Convert to .223?

This is a discussion on Bushmaster 9mm carbine: Convert to .223? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So I've really got the bug for a 9mm carbine. I thought I wanted a keltec sub2000, but can't find one in 9mm. Now I'm ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bushmaster 9mm carbine: Convert to .223?

Bushmaster 9mm carbine: Convert to .223?

So I've really got the bug for a 9mm carbine. I thought I wanted a keltec sub2000, but can't find one in 9mm. Now I'm seriously considering a bushmaster 9mm AR, but it'll cost me 3x as much. It appears to be a regular lower with a magwell insert, but I don't really know enough to tell for sure. What would I need to do and how much extra would it cost for the pieces to have it convertible to .223, so I can have both?
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

2. Remove Ads

I would check at AR15.com,You may need to change buffers and springs and maybe the hammer,I don't own a 9mm upper so never had to figure it out
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Ex Member Array TacticalCompact's Avatar
    Buffers and springs? I'd just get another upper half.

You can find great deals on .223 uppers if you just look. I payed about $300 for one but that was a while back.

I wouldn't even think about trying to confert the upper receiver even if it was possible.. you're talking barrels, and stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by TacticalCompact View Post

You can find great deals on .223 uppers if you just look. I payed about $300 for one but that was a while back.

I wouldn't even think about trying to confert the upper receiver even if it was possible.. you're talking barrels, and stuff.

The parts dukalmighty was talking about are in the lower. A new upper is a must.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Bwahahahaha! That bug will eat you alive. If you get the .223 carbine complete, figure $900-1000, maybe. A 9mm upper (complete) will be $400-600,if you really shop & scrounge, plus magwell adaptor.

The only real-life pic I could find shows a carbon-fiber lower, which I would assume means a 9mm only magwell(on the Carbon 15 9mm carbine). Ordering direct from BM, you can get the standard AR lower and both uppers, but you'll have to get the magwell block. You may be able to do it for $1800...

I wouldn't be too keen on the BM dedicated 9mm lower, as it takes Promags. Promags kill reliability like syphillis causes rot.

I would just get one of each. That way when the SHTF, you would have two to fight off evil with.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Quote Originally Posted by TacticalCompact View Post
    yeah... the buffer and buffer spring reside in the LOWER half of an AR15. And yes, you need to swap both. Along with a seperate hammer (also in the lower half)

So you'd need 2 seperate :

buffers
    buffer springs
    hammers
    complete upper halves.

and a magazine-well insert for when you're shooting 9's.

IIRC: Stag makes a 9mm carbine that is very reasonably priced. It's not a Saber, or Novesky, but STAG is nothing to be ashamed of, either.

Heisenberg may have slept here

Thanks for the input so far. I'm actually looking at gun that is already a 9mm AR, with the hopes of being able to convert it in the future to .223. Still I imagine a new upper, buffer and springs, hammer should do the trick then? Does anyone know if the magwell in the bushmaster 9mm ar carbine is a removable insert so I can chamber .223 later?
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!

FYI : You can machine the 9mm bolt to let it work with a standard AR hammer.

Never been too keen on a 9mm Luger AR15 platform.

If it where and NFA style weapon for CQB operations their not bad on 3 round burst or controlled bursts in full auto. But, if a department has them, they probably have an MP5 varient that is a much better alternative to the AR platform in 9mm Luger.
    Perhaps your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

Quote Originally Posted by Cupcake View Post
    Thanks for the input so far. I'm actually looking at gun that is already a 9mm AR, with the hopes of being able to convert it in the future to .223. Still I imagine a new upper, buffer and springs, hammer should do the trick then? Does anyone know if the magwell in the bushmaster 9mm ar carbine is a removable insert so I can chamber .223 later?
    CC, that will be a special order from BM- you'll order the standard AR (.223) lower with a Carbon-15 9mm upper,and the magwell block.

Hmmm...looking over it, their new site pretty much sucks. They may or may not offer the 9mm/.223 modularity. I could not find the 9mm magwell blocks, or a seperate 9mm upper. With the acquisition of the C-15 assembly line, they may have DCd the traditional 9mm kits. You'll have to call to see what they can do for you, or mix-n-match.

think of it this way...

Imagine the cost of having two complete uppers, one full lower for 9mm, and a buffer/spring and hammer for 223. After all that money, you're almost just a lower receiver (about a hundred bucks) away from having two complete weapons...

Add the time and effort in... and unless you're REALLY strapped for cash and REALLY need to fire both rounds... It doesn't seem worth it.

Sure, you'd still need a few other small parts, but the point still holds.

Heisenberg may have slept here

FYI Update: Made it to the range today to try my first reloads. While there I got to fondle the Bushmaster Carbon 15 9mm. The magwell is not removable. The lower is purpose-built for the 9. So I guess I just have to get a .223 lower, and a .223 upper to convert it to .223.

Well that sounds like you would be getting a complete 9mm rifle and a complete 223? That's not necessarily a bad idea :-)

You could get a 223 rifle and drop a 9mm top end on it, but yeah you'd still need a magwell adapter.

I should have my 9mm upper by the end of the year. I can't wait!!

Yeah, but can't afford them both at the moment. For the limited uses that a 9mm carbine has, I was really hoping to get into one for about 1/2 the price. I'm still hesitating at dropping $900 on one, but I think I'm gonna have to do it or...or...or I'm gonna be really whiny whenever I remember that I don't have it!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links