Ed Brown Rifle

This is a discussion on Ed Brown Rifle within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Anyone out there that can give me any feedback on a Brown Marine Sniper in .308?...

Thread: Ed Brown Rifle

Ed Brown Rifle

Anyone out there that can give me any feedback on a Brown Marine Sniper in .308?
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

2. Remove Ads

V8
    No offense but don't you think $3000.00 is kinda high for a rifle? I mean you could spend half that much on a Tikka T3 Tactical that is just as accurate. Or for half of the price of the Tactical you could get a T3 Varmint. Even the Sako TRG is cheaper than the Ed Brown.

Beretta

Beretta

Beretta

Savage 10FP Law Enforcement...

$500 rifle that is VERY good out of the box. Use the extra money on a scope and ammo.

Senior Member Array Knuckledrager's Avatar
    I have personal experience with sniper rifles. You generally get what you pay for. If the weapon is for real world use, ask your self if you would want someone taking a shot passed the head of someone you loved with less than the best. There is a performance based reason that the Remington 700 is the most widely used action in the bolt type sniper (police) rifles. It is not the most expensive but it is one of the most consistent. Most of the expense of the EB is the parts. He uses the highest quality parts around and then hand fits them. The list should be available on his web site. His rifles maintain their performance for many rounds because of this. Rifles made of lower cost parts may be able to be tuned to the needed accuracy. They just don't maintain that level of performance for very long. (A coworker had his 110P literally come apart during training) For genuine sniper/counter-sniper work; buy the best quality, maintain it, monitor it and replace/repair as needed. Just my .02. You generally get what you pay for. Buy the EB rifle with confidence that it will perform to the highest level for many years.
    "The liberty of the individual is no gift of civilization. It was greatest before there was any civilization." Sigmund Freud

Quote Originally Posted by jahwarrior1423 View Post
    Savage 10FP Law Enforcement...

$500 rifle that is VERY good out of the box. Use the extra money on a scope and ammo.
    Seems like a lot of bang for the bucks. What kind of group can I expect?
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    M.C.R.G.O.

Quote Originally Posted by Supertac45 View Post
    Seems like a lot of bang for the bucks. What kind of group can I expect?
    You should get 3/4 MOA with the right factory ammo.

Some basic "hints" on the Savage: check your torque (rifle to stock and barrel nut) from the factory. I have not owned Savage, but have worked on them. In general, I will disassemble and clean the rifle. Torque (with LT Blue) the connection points. The cheapest/ best mount system is the Burris PosiLign. Obviously, you can spend far more, lap the rings and have a bomb-proof mount. Depends on your use and $$.

Most of us will never need precision in excess of 200 yards, and the Savage, properly fed and maintained, will certainly do for you. For the money(in comparison to the Brown), you could have spare glass and Badger mounts and an upgraded stock. Honestly, 80% of the civilians buying Brown, Robar, etc. probably don't shoot enough or far enough to legitimately appreciate the expenditure.

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    Buy what you want and shoot it proudly....
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

Quote Originally Posted by snowdoctor View Post
    Buy what you want and shoot it proudly....

I usually do. It's still nice to hear what other's think since I don't know everything.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    M.C.R.G.O.

VIP Member
    What are you going to use it for?
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Target or whatever I need it for mostly in excess of 200 meters and out to whatever. I don't like to go for something that isn't the best. I earn my money and I honestly like nice things.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    M.C.R.G.O.

V8
    I think that the Savage 10FP is a fine rifle. It shoots good, the trigger is light and Savage guns are well respected in the gun community. All that being said, you owe it to your self to at least look at a few Tikka T3's. Tikka guarantees all their guns to shoot sub 1 inch groups. Can the Savage do that? Most likely it will but the Tikka is just smoother, is finished off nicer, it has a better trigger, (yes even better than the acu-whatever trigger) and over all is just a nicer gun.

I have both a Savage in .308 and a Tikka T3 in 7 mag. The Tikka is hands down my choice. Besides, the base model T3 can be found for less than $500.00.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Supertac45 View Post
    Target or whatever I need it for mostly in excess of 200 meters and out to whatever. I don't like to go for something that isn't the best. I earn my money and I honestly like nice things.
    Sounds to me like you already know what you want. Go buy your rifle and be happy. Take a look at HS precision though. They make great stuff and are about half the price. The FBI hrt teams just went to the HS precision rifle.
    Last edited by atctimmy; June 29th, 2008 at 10:08 AM. Reason: add content.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Thanks for the info on the HS Rifle. It's one I hadn't thought of. This is not turning out to be an easy decision.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    M.C.R.G.O.

Links