Need Help With AK47 Purchase

This is a discussion on Need Help With AK47 Purchase within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am in the process of buying a AK47 in 7.62x39, but I don't really know too much about them. I want to spend $350-550. ...

Thread: Need Help With AK47 Purchase

Need Help With AK47 Purchase

I am in the process of buying a AK47 in 7.62x39, but I don't really know too much about them. I want to spend $350-550. Can you guys tell me what to look for and what to stay away from. I have looked at a few CIA rifles on the web and in person and they seem to be in my price range, are they any good? I don't want a show piece and could care less if it gets dinged or scratched, I just would like a good SHTF rifle that will eat any ammo. Thanks in advance!

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    In your price range, you'll be able to score a Romanian WASR10, maybe a Yugoslavian model, and a couple others. I have a Romanian GP WASR10, and it came with two mags, sling, bayonet, and cleaning kit. So far it has eaten everything I've put through it without any issues. It's not the most accurate of rifles, but it'll get the job done. The fit and finish on it is quite rough, but an AK rifle is not meant to be a show piece. The only things wrong with the WASR10s are mag wobble, and possible canted front sight and gas block. Before you buy,you should go down to your gun dealer, or a gun dealer that sells AK rifles and look at few of them.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Senior Member Array mech1369dlw's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SubNine View Post
    In your price range, you'll be able to score a Romanian WASR10, maybe a Yugoslavian model, and a couple others. I have a Romanian GP WASR10, and it came with two mags, sling, bayonet, and cleaning kit. So far it has eaten everything I've put through it without any issues. It's not the most accurate of rifles, but it'll get the job done. The fit and finish on it is quite rough, but an AK rifle is not meant to be a show piece. The only things wrong with the WASR10s are mag wobble, and possible canted front sight and gas block. Before you buy,you should go down to your gun dealer, or a gun dealer that sells AK rifles and look at few of them.
    What he said. The WASR is the Taurus or Rossi or Hi-Points of the AK-47 family. They are born as low cap rifles and sent on a boat ride. When Century gets them, their workers carve out the magwell to accept hi cap mags, and then install enough U.S. made parts to make them legal in all but the few communist states in our great country. They have no magwell dimples that hold the mags tighter. The wood furniture is no where as good as the high end AK's stuff, but a good refinish makes them acceptable to look at. Some have sights that are canted to one side or the other pretty good.

If you can see one in person, look down the length of the gun and see if the sights are tilted to one side or the other. Take off the top cover and look at the left iside wall to see if there is a little wire or a plate holding the 2 pins in place. The wire usually pops off first time to the range, people think the gun has broken. The plate takes care of the pin problem. If you have straight sights, finish the wood, and put a retainer plate on, most guns just need broken in.

As with the Taurus and Rossi guns, someone will be here soon to tell you that WASR's are junk to be avoided. They know a friend that had a brother that knows someone in Austrailia yada yada yada and all WASR's are junk. Can't get a good gun for anything less than what I paid for mine crap. Take your time and compare. Then you make the choice. Romanian Kalashnikov Rifles
    A person is justified in the use of deadly force, if such person reasonably believes deadly force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to such person or a third person.

As long as you know the WASRs are a bit rough, you won't feel taken. Basically, the mags (try more than one) should fit without too much wobble front-back-right-left; the front sight should be at 90* to the bore.

i bought a yugo underfolder for 500 from an individual that i like alot. go to an ak forum they can tell you everything you want to know.i belong to this one....

The AK Forum :: Index
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.
    ― Thomas Paine

I am buying a used Lancaster for $500, the thing is sharp...What do you all think about the price?

the price sounds good if it shoot good.is it a fixed stock or a folder?they are mostly a romanian kit built on a U.S. receiver.they have a good reputation.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.
    ― Thomas Paine

Fixed stock, blonde wood, has a tapco trigger and the slide locks back on an empty mag.

i have the g2 tapco trigger,it is about 3.5lbs i like it a lot. if you really want professional answers go to the ak forum like i posted before.i mainly know about yugoslavian m70s because thats what i have.if you didn't get one w/your gun you will need the front site adjustment tool by tapco.it is a must have for any ak owner.they cost about 10 dollars + shipping.

― Thomas Paine

Thanks stormbringerr!!!

what happened to the ak forum home page its gone

its right here....this is the one i use anyway.

The AK Forum :: Index

― Thomas Paine

JT
    In the $350-550 range, I would look around gunshows and gunbroker.com for a used MAK-90. MAK-90's are by far one of the best values for the money.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

If it's not too late, check out the AMD-65. It's a Hungarian version. Mine's a CAI build and seems to be pretty well built. With the 20-round mags it is very compact--a nice, small, powerful package. The flash attachment is welded on to make it legal:

Links