Standard or Heavy barrel

Standard or Heavy barrel

This is a discussion on Standard or Heavy barrel within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm looking to buy an AR Kit when I get back from this damn HOT desert. Ok, I like the del-ton M4 rifle kit, Del-Ton, ...

Thread: Standard or Heavy barrel

Standard or Heavy barrel

I'm looking to buy an AR Kit when I get back from this damn HOT desert. Ok, I like the del-ton M4 rifle kit, Del-Ton, Inc. AR-15 16" M4 Rifle Kit, but I see the J&T CAR kit with HBAR, J&T 16" CAR Kit. My question is, will I see that big of a difference between the barrels? What would estimated accuracy differences be? I plan on either getting just a standard carry handle, or maybe a BUIS rear sight and an aimpoint.

Just get the best barrel you can reasonable afford, don't worry too much about profile. Quality of materials, workmanship, rate of twist & bullet weight, muzzle crowning, etc. affect accuracy. A poorly made bull barrel is not going to be better than a well made pencil barrel unless you're using it to pry open doors.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    What are you going to use the AR for ? . For carry and light shooting the "pencil " barrel is fine , for varmint level or as a mini sniper you will want a heavy barrel . In short and IMHO if you carry it more than you shoot it , and dont do mag dumps then get a light profile . If you are prone to long sessions at longer ranges then get the heavyset profile you can stand to " horse around " . My RR wears what i would call a medium weight 16" with a target crown . It serves well for everything to prarie dogs " tho admittedly not as well as a varmet/target upper to a defensive rifle ( and i will argue the utility of a flash suppressor lol . ) Point is that by going with a " full profile " or medium weight barrel i have a carbine that performs well in about any instance that the caliber is suitable to . A pencil profile would shave pounds and if i carried it on my back more i would want that . A full bull barrel would increase the round count before it began " stringing " and if i shot mags and mags from the bench more i would want that . As it stands it is light enough to carry what i carry it , and short enough to work well inside a vehicle while maintaining enough accuracy to shoot a 10 round string tighter than i can shoot at about any range with minimal cool time over and over .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Senior Moderator
    Go heavy.

The thin barrel is easy to bend. The difference in carry weight isnt enough to matter.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Senior Member Array Knuckledrager's Avatar
    "The liberty of the individual is no gift of civilization. It was greatest before there was any civilization." Sigmund Freud

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Go heavy.

The thin barrel is easy to bend. The difference in carry weight isn't enough to matter.
    Ditto! The barrel heats up pretty quick even with 20 rounds in a minute. I give my HBAR a good thirty minutes to cool before putting it in the case to head home from the range and I only do 1-200 rounds in a session. Otherwise, it has a tendency to melt the foam or fabric of the case and smell like nothing nice. If you can afford to-go with the HBAR, then do-you won't regret it. Theoretically, it should hold true on target longer than the basic profile barrels. (you might have a basic understanding how the rifle operates to realize this and the effects of heat and expansion). Per the .223 or 5.56 cartridge, an AR-15 heavy barrel is nothing compared to a heavy barrel in a larger caliber like the .308. With that being said, a "bull barrel" or Varmint profile, is different than a "heavy barrel" pertaining to the AR-15.

Heavy for sure, the weight isn't that diff, and once hot bending and warping could be a prob with the standard. Just my .02.
    "Eternity is Too Long to be Wrong"

Texas CHL Instructor & Holder & Utah CFP Instructor
    NRA Instructor & Life Member
    Member TSRA, USCCA, TCHA
    Christian, Heterosexual, Pro-2A, Pro-Life, Conservative, Common Sense American

I was thinking about going down that route. I guess it will be J&T next month. Thanks again

Hbar. I just ordered one from J&T too. The handguards were out of stock for about a week, but mine went into production yesterday. Their foreman Dennis is an amazing guy to work with. Made me even more glad that I purchased for them. And it helps KY. :)
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

I will go against the grain here - don't get an HBAR if you can help it. It will make your gun front heavy and it won't point right. If you only ever plan on shooting from the bench, it won't matter, get an HBAR because they are usually cheaper (less machining). If you want to carry the gun and shoot it from different positions, you will wish you had gotten a lighter profile barrel. Even a medium/gov't contour barrel would be better than a HBAR, but I would suggest a lightweight profile. It won't bend - its forged steel. Unless you are using your barrel as a lever to get your rear differential off a big rock or something....
    Just my two cents

Austin

Sponsored Links