Suppresed carbine for a home defense gun

This is a discussion on Suppresed carbine for a home defense gun within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by atctimmy I just read here on DC somewhere that a prosecutor stated that a 10mm was overly powerful and unneccesarily deadly. They ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Suppresed carbine for a home defense gun

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    I just read here on DC somewhere that a prosecutor stated that a 10mm was overly powerful and unneccesarily deadly. They found the good guy guilty.
    I'm assuming you're referring to the Harold Fish case, from Arizona, in which a man was attacked first by dogs and then the dogs' owner on a trail while out for a walk. He claimed self-defense and shot the attacker using a 10mm pistol, which the prosecution made the most of. Though, I'd argue that he was convicted on other grounds than merely 10mm calibration, though it certainly didn't help that fairly-quickly-dead seemed worse than simply-effectively-dead. Dumb, but there it is.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Shizzlemah View Post
    Yeah something tells me a machine gun may not fly so well.

I'd be ticked if a $2000 gun was impounded. A $20,000 gun ? Oh that would be the end of me!
    Many years ago I recall an incident Mas Ayoob wrote about regarding a gunshop owner who defended himself with a legally owned machine gun. I believe it was in Florida, and he lived next door to his shop. It was a late night B&E into the shop and the confrontation took place outside between his residence and the business.

In that case, since it was a legally owned class III weapon, no action was taken once it was ruled justifiable. He did not lose his weapon.

I can not tell you whether the good guy killed the guy, wounded the guy or even hit him, for that matter. I simply can't remember all the details, but I do remember reading the case as it was being written regarding the use of a legally owned class III weapon for lawful self defense by a civilian. I also remember that the intruder did fire rounds at the shop owner.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    Many years ago I recall an incident Mas Ayoob wrote about regarding a gunshop owner who defended himself with a legally owned machine gun. I believe it was in Florida, and he lived next door to his shop. It was a late night B&E into the shop and the confrontation took place outside between his residence and the business.

In that case, since it was a legally owned class III weapon, no action was taken once it was ruled justifiable. He did not lose his weapon.

I can not tell you whether the good guy killed the guy, wounded the guy or even hit him, for that matter. I simply can't remember all the details, but I do remember reading the case as it was being written regarding the use of a legally owned class III weapon for lawful self defense by a civilian. I also remember that the intruder did fire rounds at the shop owner.
    IT was a HK employee who did it. He used a Ruger AAC 556 at the Chantilly HK import plant back in 1985. He had run from this guy for about 50 miles back in the 80's when there was no common cell phones. I would highly recommend against use of a gun with a can on it for SD for the following reasons:

Most people in a SD adrenaline encounter experience a chemical reaction which makes it that you probably won't even hear a real gun going off, therefor ea suppressor is not necessary.

Second I know you and I know that a AR-15 with a can on it is no more effective than an AR-15 without a Can on it. But will the jury see it that way. Remember the old saying its better to be judged by 12 of your peers than carried by six. That saying is kind of wrong since the 12 is not YOUR PEERS. I.e Your PEERS are smart enough to get out of jury duty. I.E. 12 peers are the people who are to dumb to get out of jury duty and probably extremely anti gun. YOUR EVIL ZOMBIE/SQUIRREL DEANIMATOR will be held up in front of 12 IDIOTS with the EVIL Aluminum tube on the end "THINK OF THE CHILDREN" and shown to your 12 idiot PEERS that you are a wanna be Physcho killer. Now if I was on the jury I would be thinking NO he was just trying to protect his hearing for the long term. I would also motion to physically exam the evidence to see how you mounted it and what type of can you had, and how it was constructed simple cause I think it would be cool. No difference between using a can and not for a rational person. However, your not going to have me on the jury.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Senior Moderator
    On the other hand...

you could argue to the lawyer that you didnt want to damage the perps hearing...

so you shot him with a suppressed weapon.

That could prove that you really did care about his well being.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Skygod View Post
    .223/5.56 suppressor are not really all that quite. More like a loud .22Lr pistol. Surefires suppressors are probably the most quite that I have owned. SWR being the next most quite on the market. Can't speak for AAC suppressors as I've not heard them up close and personal. Knights .223 QD's are pretty loud and I can pick up a muzzle flash with NODs on at night.

I'd probably want a suppressed 9mm Luger with 147 grain loadings.
    I've never used a suppressor. Would not a .45 acp weapon be a more appropriate choice because it is commonly loaded to a subsonic velocity? I think loud noises will damage your hearing, whether you perceive them or don't, due to adrenalin.

As far as 'a jury of your peers' and 'how would a suppressed weapon look in a courtroom', would one be better off choosing to have the judge decide the trial?

5.56 > 12 gauge > 9mm

I would think that being able to put the most effective round on target would be more important than hearing damage - so I wouldn't pick a 9mm AR for HD. Shotguns are great - but you only get so many shots. 5.56 is devastating with proper ammo - but will still be supersonic even if you have an SBR with a suppressor. Its a personal choice though - is your hearing so bad that in a life and death situation you would rather have a 9mm than a 5.56? Not to mention the 9mm will penetrate more walls than 5.56 - is that acceptable where/with whom you live?

Austin

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    My CX-Storm in .40cal with extended barrel is fairly quiet and almost no muzzle flash.

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Quote Originally Posted by stanislaskasava View Post
    I've never used a suppressor. Would not a .45 acp weapon be a more appropriate choice because it is commonly loaded to a subsonic velocity? I think loud noises will damage your hearing, whether you perceive them or don't, due to adrenalin.

As far as 'a jury of your peers' and 'how would a suppressed weapon look in a courtroom', would one be better off choosing to have the judge decide the trial?
    Like I said yours and my perception is differen't than non gun people.
    Regardless of yours or mine opinion on the subject. The gun you use will be held up in court and shown to everybody on the jury. No matter what anybody says, actual law is much different than perception. Perception from the jury beats what actually happens hands down! If you live next to me and use a can on the most devilish looking gun I frankly don't care and thank you for not waking me up in the process; however, for your own self preservation, the only thing your type of gun will be used for is AGAINST you, and cannot be used For you, or to help you!.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

BAC
    Yup. I just read here on DC somewhere that a prosecutor stated that a 10mm was overly powerful and unneccesarily deadly. They found the good guy guilty.
    That was a shady case in a number of ways. If the prosecutor is attacking the firearm and ammo, they're either sealing the deal and you're already screwed on other counts, or they're grasping for straws because they have nothing else.

I haven't heard any case where lawful use of a suppressed weapon for self-defense resulted in a jury turning on the person who used said weapon. I've almost got what I need for a suppressed SBR, and you can bet that'll be my go-to home defense firearm. Whether or not the adrenaline kicks in enough that I can't hear overly well (blood pounding in the ears, etc.), shooting indoors with an unsuppressed AR15 is painful and when taken with the flash could very well stun you as much as it would someone you're shooting at.

-B

VIP Member
    I guess you could just unscrew it before the LEO's arrive. After all you wouldn't wake any neighbors. So you'd have plenty of time.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

VIP Member
    I guess you could just unscrew it before the LEO's arrive. After all you wouldn't wake any neighbors. So you'd have plenty of time.
    That would be a very bad idea since you would be altering the evidence. I really do not see the disadvantages of a suppressed weapon in home defense....that is if your state allows for that. All local laws apply.
    I know several individuals that have ARs with supresors for HD since they do not want to deal with earmuffs if SHTF at three am when a BG breaks in.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Administrator
    I don't think my "shock and awe" plan would be as good if my toys were hushed.
    "Just blame Sixto"

KISS=Keep It Simple Sweetheart,9 00 pellets hitting a BG at the same time will pretty much take the fight right out of him
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    Ruger makes a 9mm and .40 cal Carbine - Kel-Tec also offers same in folding Carbine.
    For God, Family and Country!

Alachua County

The guy in the gunshop in FL used an M16 and a S&W 76. Trying to find the article.... Stupid work computer.

My opinion, use it . I think the pistol caliber carbine is a totally effective HD weapon, and when I get my SBR Uzi done, it will serve that purpose. Think of it this way, you went to the trouble to go through an extensive background check, bought a gun that required more licensing than the average gun owner. Shows you went above and beyond, more experienced with firearms than average Joe, etc.
    Last edited by Superhouse 15; July 5th, 2008 at 07:01 PM. Reason: sp

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links