Pump or semi-auto shotgun?

This is a discussion on Pump or semi-auto shotgun? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hi: New guy here. I am thinking about buying a home defense shotgun. I do not currently have a shotgun. What are the pros and ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Pump or semi-auto shotgun?

Pump or semi-auto shotgun?

Hi: New guy here. I am thinking about buying a home defense shotgun. I do not currently have a shotgun. What are the pros and cons of a pump v. the Saiga semi auto?

What are the basic, bare necessities for a home defense shotgun (low level sights or a light or laser, sling?) and what load should I buy?

Do I need 12 gauge or is 20 enough stopping power for home defense?

Thanks,

Sloth
    Aut Disce Aut Discede

"The pacifist is as surely a traitor to his country and to humanity as is the most brutal wrongdoer." Theodore Roosevelt

2. Remove Ads

You'll get alot of opinions here but I still keep a Benelli M1 Super 90 autoloader stuffed with Federal "low recoil" OO buck, 2-3/4" shells.

I have equipped with the Surefire replacement foreend and a Surfire laser. It also has a BHI cheep pad with the 5 shot shell holder on the opp side with a BHI 3pt sling.

I use the laser due to a poor eye condition in the dominate eye that left me 20/80 in that eye, right hand shooter, bad right eye. The laser allows me the luxury of a "point and shoot" employment in close quarters.

I've got plenty of pump guns also, but I prefer my specific set up.

My .02
    Perhaps your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

In my opinion, I would go with a 12G pump, like the Remington 870's or Mossbergs. They are reliable, and that first "kerchunk" of loading a round might be enough to scare someone away.

The semis are good... I have a Rem 1100, but they require pampering and diligent cleaning if you shoot with them a lot. There's a piston assembly, and gas blow-back holes that tend to get crudded up if you don't clean it regularly. Also, they are more expensive to start with.

So, for home defense, IMHO, keep the pump accessible, use 0-0 quality shells, and practice at the range, if possible, to get the feel of the gun.

Good luck, stay safe!
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Skygod View Post
    You'll get alot of opinions here but I still keep a Benelli M1 Super 90 autoloader stuffed with Federal "low recoil" OO buck, 2-3/4" shells.
    Same here except I use FED #1 Buck in the chamber and tube, keep Hornady TAP OO on the buttstock, and use an Insight M3X for a light.

I've never had a single malfunction with either of the Benelli's I own. I have short shucked 870s, a BPS and a MOD 12 at one point or another.

Chuck
    homo homini lupus est

Administrator
    I'd buy the pump... its all about utility and versatility.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Member Array Knuckledrager's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I'd buy the pump... its all about utility and versatility.
    And reliability!
    "The liberty of the individual is no gift of civilization. It was greatest before there was any civilization." Sigmund Freud

Senior Member Array f8lranger4x4's Avatar
    Pump I feel their more reliable.

My primary HD shotgun is a Benelli M1 Super 90 Tactical. It's backed up by a Benelli Nova H2O and a Winchester Defender. While I'm partial to the semis, you can buy at least 2, maybe 3, good pump guns for the price of a tactical semi-auto. The current Benelli offering, the M4 Tactical, has a MSRP of just over 1600.00. Not saying there aren't other good semi-auto choices, just using the Benelli as an example. The MSRP for the Benelli SuperNova Tactical is 485.00. Three for one with some change for ammo. And not to say that a pump can't break down, but for the most part they are ultra reliable. In short, if I only have one HD shotgun, it would be a pump.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Quote Originally Posted by f8lranger4x4 View Post
    Pump I feel their more reliable.
    Agreed - with one provision: Learn to NOT short-cycle it! I've never experienced this phenomenon, but there is frequent enough discussion of it to warrant mention. Apparently this is the PumpGun equivilent of "limp-wristing" a handgun. I tend to hold the stock (very) firmly against my shoulder with the left hand, while relaxing the right hand for better/faster trigger response. This causes me to reflexively pull the slide all the way to stop when released by the trigger/disconnect, upon firing.
    OTOH I've never bothered playing with a pistol-gripped (no stock) shotty, so I have no recommendations for handling them.

Stay safe,

Chuck Brick.
    Why do I use 230 gr. for my .45acp?
    Because I can't find a source of 250 gr!
    http://chucksrantings.blogspot.com/

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    There's nothing more intimidating than the sound of the raking of a pump shot gun.Pumps are also more reliable and just as fast as a semi when operated by an experienced operator.

Pump, No 4 buck for close and 00 for 10 yards and out.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

VIP Member
    Buy quality and either will be reliable. That said, pumps are much less expensive. You can use the money you save for practice ammo.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Senior Moderator
    Semi autos may not function with all loads, ecpecially light ones.
    Pumps will function with whatever you put though it.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar
    Welcome aboard!

It really doesn't matter which you get. Personally after researching this very topic myself I'd rather get a pump 12ga based on the fact that they are much less expensive and stupid simple to fix. The most important thing is that you practice with your firearm. Imagine playing your frist baseball game but you didn't make it to any of the practices and you are supposed to pitch. You'll probably suck. Well if someone breaks into your house you want to make sure you can preform when it counts, so even going out once with your new gun will make you infinity better, IMHO, than if you hadn't.
    Also after litterally making sure your gun is empty several times and no one is home practice moving through your house. Notice where the cover and concealment is (notice there is a difference) and notice how difficult it is to move that barrel through doorways and down halls.

Be prepared,

SDG
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

I'd go with the pump myself (remington 870 or Mossberg 500), 20 gauge would probably get the job done, although I prefer 12. Try and get a barrel under 20" if you want this to be a dedicated home defense weapon (minimum legal length you can usually find to buy is 18.5"). And some good ammo.

You don't need to tacti-cool it out, but if you are so inclined the best things to add are a weapon mounted light and a side saddle to hold extra shells.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links