Mossberg Maverick 88

Mossberg Maverick 88

This is a discussion on Mossberg Maverick 88 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Went out the other day and have realized that after all the hanguns I have purchased over the years I needed a defense shotgun at ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mossberg Maverick 88

Mossberg Maverick 88

Went out the other day and have realized that after all the hanguns I have purchased over the years I needed a defense shotgun at home. Bought the Mossberg Maverick 88 12 ga. with 18 1/2 in. barrel. This is one of the lowest priced shotguns I seen on the market. I realize it sure isn't gonna be accused of being a "pretty gun" but for $179, a pump shotgun I don't think I could go wrong with it. Anyone in here have this shotgun and if you do, how has it been for you?
    "If ever time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin."

Samuel Adams

VIP Member
    A little late to be asking isn't it?
    I havenít heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    A little late to be asking isn't it?
    I don't care it was only $179, just wanted to know anyones opinion on it who has one. Do you?
    "If ever time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin."

Samuel Adams

VIP Member
    Nope. I am a Mossberg fan though.
    I havenít heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

Have it...STILL have not shot it. I have some "mod" parts coming in tomorrow for it, so my wife can shoot it also. She is about 5' & 110 lbs, so her grip is a little off on 12ga shotty's. I will be changing out the stock, to a collapsible one and adding a new front forend, that has weaver rails to take a tac light.

I will probably try to get it all done before noon and go run some bird shot through it & let her get a feel for it. Plan on taking some pics of before and after & her shooting, so I will do my best to get them up...unless it rains tomorrow. AND being that it is Louisiana, and it rains from the ground down here, I can't promise anything.

I have shot the Mossberg 500 & she is a beauty. I was told the Mav88 was almost the same gun with "cheaper" parts. I guess that time will tell...eh?

Quote Originally Posted by CajunChuck View Post
    Have it...STILL have not shot it. I have some "mod" parts coming in tomorrow for it, so my wife can shoot it also. She is about 5' & 110 lbs, so her grip is a little off on 12ga shotty's. I will be changing out the stock, to a collapsible one and adding a new front forend, that has weaver rails to take a tac light.

I will probably try to get it all done before noon and go run some bird shot through it & let her get a feel for it. Plan on taking some pics of before and after & her shooting, so I will do my best to get them up...unless it rains tomorrow. AND being that it is Louisiana, and it rains from the ground down here, I can't promise anything.

I have shot the Mossberg 500 & she is a beauty. I was told the Mav88 was almost the same gun with "cheaper" parts. I guess that time will tell...eh?
    Thats what I heard too, but its a pump shotgun for defense and ocassional shooting, not like I'm going to be pumping thousands of rounds through it. Thats why for only $179 I was willing to take that chance that it will be good. Although I am the same, haven't shot it yet.

Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by TX Husker Fan View Post
    ...I was willing to take that chance that it will be good.
    I am not willing to take that chance when my life, wife and child's life are at risk & that is why I went with a shotty with the Mossberg name. That is ALSO the reason that I will feed the thing some serious shells before I feel comfy dedicating the gun as my wifes HD weapon of choice.

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    My Fiancee purchased one as her HD weapon of choice. I'm a huge Mossberg fan, have not shot it yet, so its not the HD duty shotty just yet. I'm leaving the Saiga for that until the Mossy proves itself.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunChuck View Post
    I am not willing to take that chance when my life, wife and child's life are at risk & that is why I went with a shotty with the Mossberg name. That is ALSO the reason that I will feed the thing some serious shells before I feel comfy dedicating the gun as my wifes HD weapon of choice.
    Well its only me, not a family to protect, plus I have mulitple other firearms. The gun is a pump so thats why I don't worry about it as much as I would if it was an automatic.

Samuel Adams

Thinking about picking one of these up this month, although the Mossberg 500 is about $90 more, might go ahead and get that instead.

Administrator
    For what it is and the price point that its at, they are not all that bad.
    "Just blame Sixto"

They are not bad for the price and I haven't heard anything bad about them IIRC they take 870 aftermarket parts,I would take it to the range and put some 00 buck and some slugs thru it at HD ranges to see how it patterns and where the slugs hit at 10-15-25 yards usually at the range you will shoot in your home they will pretty much be COM.I've seen expensive guns break at shooting events and I've seen cheap guns purr along all day long.They are what they are manufactured mechanical devices the fewer moving parts the less problems you may encounter
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

So far I have shot just about everything through my Mav 88 (the 3" slugs actually hurt) she hasnt missed a beat, seems quite solid to me. I have a 18.5" barrel and spec ops folder and a smile.

We have at least two 88s in the family. They get used for everything: HD, skeet, small game, waterfowl, turkey and deer. Since choke tubes are inexpensive and come in every variety form cylinder through extra-full, these are do-it-all guns. It can save your butt and put food on the table.

For the money, you could never go wrong even if all you used it for was HD. However, in a very uncertain world, the versitility of this gun could make it worth its weight in gold.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

picked up my 88 back a few few years and have
    hunted with many times and never had any issuses.
    paid around $160.00 out of the box. nice shotgun imo.
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links