9mm Carbon Rifles?

This is a discussion on 9mm Carbon Rifles? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Forgive my ignorance on this topic as I admittitly haven't researched the topic for very long at all. What is the point of 9mm carbon ...

Thread: 9mm Carbon Rifles?

Question 9mm Carbon Rifles?

Forgive my ignorance on this topic as I admittitly haven't researched the topic for very long at all. What is the point of 9mm carbon rifles (Say, a 9mm M4 for instance). Is it simply bullet cost? Ease of buying ammo in bulk rather than having two types of ammo?

They seem to be popular, so I'm sure they have their purpose; but what do they do, that the .223 or .308 can't? Every report I've seen favors rifle rounds to that of a handgun round. There is certainly a damage difference...
    Beretta 92FS

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Tros View Post
    Forgive my ignorance on this topic as I admittitly haven't researched the topic for very long at all. What is the point of 9mm carbon rifles (Say, a 9mm M4 for instance). Is it simply bullet cost? Ease of buying ammo in bulk rather than having two types of ammo?

They seem to be popular, so I'm sure they have their purpose; but what do they do, that the .223 or .308 can't? Every report I've seen favors rifle rounds to that of a handgun round. There is certainly a damage difference...
    Suppressor works better?
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Cost to shoot, managability, interchangability of ammo, and sometimes mags with your pistols. I also want one just because I don't have one yet.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

It's a matter of personal option or choice. Nothing more. Some people looked at their shooting needs and situations and decided that a pistol caliber carbine better suits their needs so they go with that. Pistol caliber carbines have limited accuracy range, in most cases, but they also do shoot heavier/bigger diameter bullets for more close range effectiveness. An Olympic Arms K40-GL shoots a .40 S&W pistol cartridge that weighs in at over 150 grains while a .223 Olympic Arms M-4 type carbine shoots a 55 grain bullet. For some personal defense scenarios or bodyguard work, the heavier and bigger diameter bullet is the personal preference of the shooter. Nothing more or less than just a different mindset or way of thinking about guns and ammo.
    Imagine that you're an enemy soldier and you are surrounded by U.S. Army paratroopers on one side and American marines on the other side... Talk about a hopeless situation... That has got to be legal grounds for suicide!

Yeah... That's what I was figuring. Thanks.

*Thinks a .45 acp M4 would be interesting* :)
    Beretta 92FS

Well I think that Olympic Arms does or at least did sell .45 caliber AR-15 style carbine.

Quote Originally Posted by born2die View Post
    Well I think that Olympic Arms does or at least did sell .45 caliber AR-15 style carbine.
    The K-45

Olympic Arms, Inc. - K45 - Pistol Cal 45 ACP
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

If I had extra toy money, I'd run out and get something like that. It'd certainly be an interesting rifle to shoot. Ah well, I'll just continue to save up for a .308 rifle :)
    Beretta 92FS

We use 9mm carbines at the Rogers Shooting School because they don't tear up the steel targets at close range. Even frangible 5.56mm ammo will tear up steel at 7yards.

You can see the proximity of the targets in the later parts of this video.

I don't have any video of the Carbine program yet but the principle is the same.

We have 10 Olympic 9mm carbines and 2 of the Bushmaster Carbon Fiber 9mms.
    Some drink at the fountain of Knowledge, others just gargle.

Administrator
    Yep, that's what I would do. Continue to save for a .308 rifle.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HeadHunter View Post
    We use 9mm carbines at the Rogers Shooting School because they don't tear up the steel targets at close range. Even frangible 5.56mm ammo will tear up steel at 7yards.
    There might be other situations in which 'less is more' when comparing ~350 ft.-lbs. muzzle energy of a 9 mm to +1200 ft.-lbs. of a 5.56 mm.

I just picked up my NIB Ruger PC9GR off of layaway on Sunday. I have fired about 100 rounds through it so far and I can say its kind of a nasty little feller. Its short and loud and blows stuff up pretty well @ 50 yards. So far me likey, cant wait to get her out for a longer session. Oh yeah, and she is all black ('cept for the trigger)

Quote Originally Posted by HeadHunter View Post

You can see the proximity of the targets in the later parts of this video.

I don't have any video of the Carbine program yet but the principle is the same.

We have 10 Olympic 9mm carbines and 2 of the Bushmaster Carbon Fiber 9mms.
    How is the reliability of the OLY's? Any major issues? I just purchased one a few weeks ago. It functions great until it get about 300 rounds thru it. FTE's. I clean it and it runs for another 250 -300 rounds. Only have about 1000 thru it but I like it. It's cheaper to shoot the my other 5.56 rifles (and more fun up close)
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

Links