Just bought my first shottie!

This is a discussion on Just bought my first shottie! within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Just bought my first shotgun. I have owned some .410 rifles, but I have never bought a long gun (all been willed to me). I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Just bought my first shotgun. I have owned some .410 rifles, but I have never bought a long gun (all been willed to me).

I got a Maverick 88, figured that would be a good starter for me, plus at $180 it wasn't too bad.

Now on to modifications, first up a new pistol grip or collapsible stock. Then on to change the slide to one with a flashlight attachment, who knows what else I'll do.

I have many ideas from the tactical shotgun thread to mull over.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Senior Moderator
    In my opinion all you need is a side saddle shell holder and maybe a light.

Other than that leave it alone
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    In my opinion all you need is a side saddle shell holder and maybe a light.

Other than that leave it alone
    Yep if ya wanta shorten it up slide the stock under your armpit for longer aiming sliding it out and mounting to your shoulder is fast,For me a pistol grip on the slide would be beneficial due to paralysis of right hand i could grip a pistol grip to rack the slide easier
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I have seen a forend on eBay with a tri weaver rail, and it comes with the pistol grip. I think I'll start there and save a little for a real nice light that has almost bright as the sun light and a strobe.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco

Sweet. Sounds like a good start! Should be a nice house gun.

Wht
    “They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security” Benjamin Franklin
    I'm not pro gun, I'm pro rights. What are you?

NRA
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The first thing I change is the bead. The ones that come standard are terrible.

Which of these do you want if you have to use your shotgun? Probably not the second one from the right, which is a factory bead.
    Attached Images

Agreed, this bead looks like I got a BB balanced on the end.

-Paco

Administrator
    I prefer the standard bead.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by Paco View Post
    Agreed, this bead looks like I got a BB balanced on the end.
    Mossbergs have a 5-40 thread and they are the only ones who use it. Your easiest fix is to put a TruGlo Fat Bead on it. That's the one to the far right in the photo. You can get it at Bass Pro Shops or other big retailers. The next option is to put a Marbles Tritium Sight on it. Brownells carries it in 5-40.

Most of your other options will require drilling and tapping the barrel to 6-48. It's not that hard but most of us screwed it up the first time we did it.

Quote Originally Posted by Paco View Post
    I have seen a forend on eBay with a tri weaver rail, and it comes with the pistol grip. I think I'll start there and save a little for a real nice light that has almost bright as the sun light and a strobe.
    I just went through all of this! BEWARE! Do you have any pictures of the forend? Take some if you can before you buy off eBay.

I got a kit that was advertised as a Maverick 88 tactical upgrade. Well, the stock fit. The forend did not, due to the fact that I had picked up the Mav88 from Academy (not Wal-mart) which contains a solid one piece synthetic forend attached to the dual action slidebars and not the action slide tube assembly (like the walmart one & standard on the Mossberg500). I don't know if this is a special made one for wally world or what?!

The tube assembly on my Maverick can be changed out with the proper parts and the shotty made to accept the forend aftermarket parts, same as the M500, but by the time the money had been spent, it would have been easier and about the same price to just buy a Mossberg 500. Meh! Now I know.
    Ca C'est Bon!

Well, crap. I just bought mine from Academy today.

-Paco

Does it look like this?

[IMG][/IMG]
    Ca C'est Bon!

Yes it does.

-Paco

Well, you are going to run into some problems getting a forend aftermarket(AM) product to fit. The reason is the slidebars are molded into the plastic itself, it almost looks like you can punch it out, but I have not attempted this...yet.

Instead of the synthetic AM stock fitting over the tube slide (like you will find on a Mossy) with the screw on the top, we do not have that on this model.

Action Slide Tube Assemblies For Mossberg 500 Series | e-GunParts.com
    This is the tube assembly that you would need to replace to fit most aftermarket parts. NOW, I am sure that there has to be some forend kit, being that the M88 is so popular/affordable...but I have not been able to find one on the internet as of yet. I didn't start calling manufactures, because the guy who sold me the "M88" upgrade parts said that he was going to take care of my forend issue. He received the forend/pistol grip/sling ring today so I will be looking to get the replacement, that is supposed to fit, sometime soon. We shall see...
    Ca C'est Bon!

I was this close to getting the Mossy 500 (imagine me holding up my thumb and index finger with approx. 1/4" in between).

But for $100 more I just couldn't do it, not right now.

I'll make the forend the last mod then, and give myself time to find a proper AM product.

Thanks for the heads up!

-Paco

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links