Left work, picked up new AR15, went to range, came home, thinking about going back...

This is a discussion on Left work, picked up new AR15, went to range, came home, thinking about going back... within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Finally, after the USPS finally decided to deliver the AR15 I bought from Tubby45 (don't hesitate to do business with this guy ), I got ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Left work, picked up new AR15, went to range, came home, thinking about going back...

Left work, picked up new AR15, went to range, came home, thinking about going back...

Finally, after the USPS finally decided to deliver the AR15 I bought from Tubby45 (don't hesitate to do business with this guy), I got the call from the receiving FFL dealer and the did the only rational thing I could think of: I called the boss and told him I had to leave early. Directly to the dealer, then a quick stop at home for some gear, then off to the range.

Great gun, only put a couple boxes through though. I noticed the rear peep seem rather big, and I was a bit embarrassed at my shooting at 50 yards. I kept managing to put them all around the 5 1/2" Shoot n C. I had been hoping for better groups.

Well, now that I'm home, I noticed that the rear peep actually has two peeps. A big one presumably for quick/combat shots, and a smaller one for more precise work. I guess I won't actually go back today, but I will figure out how to clean her and make some reloads so I can test them when I go back. Good fun.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

2. Remove Ads

Congrats on the new rifle and welcome to the afflicted. BRD shall soon consume you...

You are correct, there are two different apertures.

Everything you wanted to know about sighting that bad boy in:

The Maryland AR15 Shooters Site
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan; by way of St. Mayberry, GA
    I'd just hate to have to return to the range after picking up a new addition for the safe after having to leave work early to aquire said addition for some initial range time. Oh the humanity!

"Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

That's a great site, Matiki. Thanks.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    welcome to the EBR club! now, start stocking ammo before it gets any more expensive.
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

Actually they tell us that the big aperture is for use with a gas mask or low light/night conditions. Most "combat shots" are close range, when I was still on irons the small aperture would be up on the range, but really I was more point shooting than anything.

Congrats though, AR's are cool. Make sure you get some extra mags.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Ahhh, I see.

Collecting ammo, mags, and reloading components are definitely high on the list. Also need to find a good, fast 1-4 scope, a tactical sling, and I'd like to find a good way to store a 20rd mag right on the gun, but not in the way (for shooting prone).

M4's ...... fun to shoot, a joy to own, cheap to shoot and a great insurance policy in your safe should something happen. Congrats on your new family member!
    Last edited by Ridgeline; July 14th, 2008 at 09:11 PM. Reason: <sp>
    "Eternity is Too Long to be Wrong"

Texas CHL Instructor & Holder & Utah CFP Instructor
    NRA Instructor & Life Member
    Member TSRA, USCCA, TCHA
    Christian, Heterosexual, Pro-2A, Pro-Life, Conservative, Common Sense American

Good fast 1-4x scopes - Leupold CQ/T, Aimpoint Comp4, and my personal favorite, the Trijicon ACOG (Which is only 4X), all pricery, but all worth it, as are EOTECH holosights.

As far as slings that really depends on usage, I have a 3 point or a Wolf-clip that attaches to my body armor.

There are magazine pouches that go on the buttstock of the weapon, they are pretty decent if you buy a good one.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Got my Stag 1L last month, finally get to shoot it Tuesday. My brother is bringing his Colt H-bar, and we are going to the farm. Definately won't report group sizes, just going for the noise and smoke.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!
    "There is no such thing as too much ammo. Unless you're swimming!"

Quote Originally Posted by bones View Post
    A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!
    No Doubt!

And LCPL, you weren't kidding about them being pricey, were ya? I'm digging that aimpoint, but geeze. Might have to wait. In the mean time I'm looking at a Millet DMS tactical. I have to figure out how fussy it is about head position for view, eye relief and parallax. Might not suit the purpose if I have to be precise with my cheekweld before I can even see through it.

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    depending on how much you want to spend, you might want to look into Bushnell Trophy sights or Holosights. I have this one, and it suits my purposes just fine.

Bushnell Outdoor Products

My only complaints are it's a little larger than I'd like, and it has to be turned on. But, it's well-made, fast, and holds zero just fine. An Aimpoint or ACOG is definitely preferable, but if you get sticker shock, there are good alternatives out there.
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

Grats on the new evil. I'm sure it is going to be REAL hard to go back to the range soon for some more trigger time!
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

Now the accessorizing begins. With the optics, you will have to decide on flip-up BUIS or always up BUIS. If flip up, do you go same plane for the 2 different apertures or not.

And then the list goes on.

Congrats.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links