SKS vs. SKS Paratrooper - Page 2

SKS vs. SKS Paratrooper

This is a discussion on SKS vs. SKS Paratrooper within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have both a para and several standard currently . The para is a bit more handy for " indoors " or truck use but ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: SKS vs. SKS Paratrooper

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I have both a para and several standard currently . The para is a bit more handy for " indoors " or truck use but quite a bit more expensive . As far as accuracy goes none of mine are scoped and i honestly cannot tell the difference when it comes to minute of coyote , However out at 200 and a bit more you do have to hold over more with the para than the standard . Accuracy seems about the same for me but the lower velocity or possibly the change in sight ratio due to shorter tube makes for i would gestimate 4 to 6" more apparent bullet drop at about 400 yards ( shooting a 5 gallon bucket ) .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan4x4 View Post
    trust me, they both suck equally, save some more cash and get yourself a ak 47 or a ruger mini ranch 14.
    My SKS that I brought home from Vietnam has functioned flawlessly for 40 years. It does not suck. Trust me. That being said, I still prefer an M1A1 (military M-14) or a Remington 700 over the AK 47 or Ruger Mini 14, if for nother reason than higher velocity and fire power.

If your are inclined to get an SKS, the source of manufacture might be significant. My is Russian made. I have heard less complimentary reviews on SKS's manufactured in other countries, but I also have read a lot of good reviews about them.

I'm not hellbent on getting an SKS, but it seems to be a reliable weapon and it's all I can afford at this point.

I would love nothing more than to own an M1A1 or a decked out Saiga 12C or something like that, but I have to be realistic with my budget, and those guns, even if I saved up for them, would be of no use to me because I wouldn't have any ammo $ left!

I've pretty much ruled out any firearms with less than 10 rd capacity for my go-to zombie weapon because I won't be able to afford another for a long time, and I want my second buy to be a high quality piece. That takes out shotguns, initially. Maybe I can save up for a Mossberg top folder after the SKS, though.

Anyways, thanks all for the input. I'll put it to good use and report back once my XD and I start our family.
    Half measures availed us nothing...

Sponsor
    Don't forget that you can carry 180 rds on strippers in a chinese chest rig with little effort all day long to boot.

Thats 6 30 rd AK mags worth of ammo stored conveniently on you person without the worry of mags and their extra weight, let alone their volume and all that goes with it where storing them with immediate access is concerned.

Brownie
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

"I don't like the Yugo for the same reason already mentioned by another due to the grenade launcher valve o ring deteriorating and causing it be a one shot rifle."

Very interesting tidbit to pick up here, Brownie. Haven't heard of this. My son has a Yugo that's been a real shooter. One hundred yard groups twice as small as my Russian. Has a better trigger too. It always functioned reliably. Suddenly it just went south and now only functions as a single shot. Must have a bad O-ring. I'll have to check this out.

Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr View Post
    Don't forget that you can carry 180 rds on strippers in a chinese chest rig with little effort all day long to boot.

Thats 6 30 rd AK mags worth of ammo stored conveniently on you person without the worry of mags and their extra weight, let alone their volume and all that goes with it where storing them with immediate access is concerned.

Brownie
    or if you have two 75 round drums, one in the gun and one on you then you have 150 rounds!

I am sworn to protect the Constitution of the U.S.A. from all threats both foreign and domestic.

UPDATE:

It seems fate has intervened, as my mother taught me that consequences are non-existant...

I called the local pawn shop to ask about a possible transfer of a Norinco when he mentioned he had a Rusky that I should look at.

Sure enough, he's got a 1954 or '51 Russian (laminated stock, probably refurb'd, year of maunfacture on stock is hard to read), all matching serials as far as I could tell, in absolutely beautiful condition. My dad's SKS is one ugly rifle, but this one was incredible! Must be that dark cherry stock and black hardware.

I can't tell city of manufacture due to a Leupold (sp?) scope someone put on it, but everything else is there... rounded stock, big blade bayonet found on the later Russians, 2 Cyrillic characters beginning the serial #. While we're at it, I counted 4 matching serials on the outside of the rifle: stock, trigger guard, magazine/box, last one just under the bolt on the left side. Is that all of them?

Unfortunately, I won't have the money until Thursday!!! I asked them to please sway everyone from the rifle, that I could absolutely guarantee purchase, but I understand that business is business. I'm calling everyday this week to keep it in their minds. We'll see if it works out.

Thanks for all the help.

What exactly does accuracy have to do with CQB? If you're looking for protection in house, after hours, buy a shotgun. If you want a fun plinker at the range get the SKS.

TyC
    Find a norinco sportster some of them use AK style mags so you don't have to mess with stripper clips. I had one sold it, regretted it, and am looking for another. I'm so mad I sold it. That was one of the best guns I've ever owned. It shot dirty it shot straight and was really easy and comfortable to use.
    "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TyC View Post
    Find a norinco sportster some of them use AK style mags so you don't have to mess with stripper clips. I had one sold it, regretted it, and am looking for another. I'm so mad I sold it. That was one of the best guns I've ever owned. It shot dirty it shot straight and was really easy and comfortable to use.
    I bought one of these (SKS-D, I believe they are called) around 1995 or so when I turned 18. I wish I would have held on to mine as well. However, these are now going for much as some AK's so if you are going to throw down that much money I would go ahead and get the AK instead.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

I have a norinco sportster
    I use Tapco 20 round mags and have had no trouble with them feeding
    Zoe: "Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?

Book: "Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps."

I don't know CJS3, I'd be willing to use a short rifle in the house.
    Aceoky likes this.

ugh...

It was sold right from under while I was waiting for proper documents in the mail.

$199 for a Russian in immaculate shape. Oh well.

I'll keep looking.

I own a std Norinco SKS, a Paratrooper Norinco SKS, and a couple of Yugo SKS's. They all are very reliable, but the Yugo's have a slight advantage in the accuracy dept. IMO, they are the best VALUE in a light semi rifle.

The day will come when you will want a AR or/and a AK, but you will still love your SKS.

GIT-U-1.
    FREEDOM MATTERS!

Quote Originally Posted by PAPACHUCK View Post
    I own a std Norinco SKS, a Paratrooper Norinco SKS, and a couple of Yugo SKS's. They all are very reliable, but the Yugo's have a slight advantage in the accuracy dept. IMO, they are the best VALUE in a light semi rifle.

The day will come when you will want a AR or/and a AK, but you will still love your SKS.

GIT-U-1.
    I don't understand where this mentality comes from... I owned both an SKS and an AK-47. I sold the AK, and kept the SKS, because I prefer it over the AK. People who prefer AK's over SKS's typically do so based on emotional/psychological reasons rather than on logic. SKS's are just as dependable as AK's, if not even more dependable, they are more accurate, and they are lighter and less bulky.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links