SKS vs. SKS Paratrooper

SKS vs. SKS Paratrooper

This is a discussion on SKS vs. SKS Paratrooper within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hello all, as much as I hate to beat the dead horse, I've got to bring it up again. I'm 1,000 mi from any relatives, ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: SKS vs. SKS Paratrooper

SKS vs. SKS Paratrooper

Hello all,

as much as I hate to beat the dead horse, I've got to bring it up again. I'm 1,000 mi from any relatives, my shotty, or my Marlin 336 (out of state college), and if TSHTF my trusty XD could only do so much. I need a real survival tool, and due to my severely limited budget I have about one option, a bare-bones SKS.

I've only recently been intrigued by the paratrooper models due to CQB advantages. The 16.5 inch barrel is about as far as I'm willing to go with tacticooling it out, as it seems the SKS runs best out of the box.

To anyone who has shot the paratrooper, how does it relate to its big brother? Can it still shoot minute of plate around 150-200 yds? Does the round fired from the para model lose a considerable amount of energy at distance in comparison with a full-sized SKS? What do you think the pros and cons are in a SHTF scenario for each? Which would you choose?

I know this comes up all the time, and I've read tons of threads, but I can only afford one rifle, and I need to make sure it's the right one. My life may depend on it, possibly in the not-so-distant future.

Thanks.
    Half measures availed us nothing...

trust me, they both suck equally, save some more cash and get yourself a ak 47 or a ruger mini ranch 14.
    EDC's Colt Defender 45 acp and S&W 442 .38
    Springfield XD 45 acp
    Ruger SR9
    Ruger Super RedHawk .44 mag
    mossberg 590 12 gauge tactical
    bushmaster AR15-M4

An AK is not a bad idea, but the SKS is more accurate and cheaper. As far as a Mini-14, poor accuracy, a thin barrel that heats up real fast, and expensive mags, would make it take a back seat to an SKS in my book. I own both and prefer the SKS. The mini does have a better trigger, but not worth the extra expense due to other drawbacks mentioned.

I have two paratrooper models and they are plenty accurate and durable. Mine are Norincos, so I don't know about others but have read and heard good things about the Yugos and Russian models as well.

I have never chronographed a round from a full length barrel or a pratrooper length barrrel so I don't have any info as to loss of velocity. However, velocity loss is usually not that great in rifles like the M4 or the Carbine lever actions with 16" barrels as opposed to 20" barrels. Someone on here should be able to give you a more techinical answer than I can. I know there are several SKS fans on this forum.

I recommend the "bare bones SKS" to anyone who is looking for a budget SHTF rifle. I have two paratroopers, my Dad and Father-in-law each have a full length rifle . They are good rifles in my experience with good out-of-the-box practical accuracy.

Leave it stock and load about 200 rounds in stripper clips and your probably good to go for anything short of a full scale zombie uprising.

JMO YMMV
    Last edited by sgtD; July 15th, 2008 at 12:41 PM.
    mano3 likes this.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar
    I dunno man. I know it's tough saving scrill in college (trust me I've been at it for 3 years going on 4 now) but a solid AK is much better, but a 12ga is also great. IF you are truley worried about SHTF I'd go 12ga. Have you seen what a slug will do? And they are as accurate as an SKS from 100 yds.
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

I think I remember Paratroop versions being more expensive.

That being said, there are a number of viable options for you depending on your budget. Ak's aren't much more than sks's, and shotguns like the Maverick 88 or Mossberg 500 are pretty reasonable too.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

"I recommend the "bare bones SKS"

Good recommendation! My view as well.

I like the cartridge better than I do either the SKS or the AK. I have an SKS and it's decently accurate out to 100 yards, has a wretched trigger, but is very reliable.

Senior Moderator
    I would suggest just the bare bones SKS and lots of stripper clips and ammo
    Aceoky and CLASS3NH like this.
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    I don't know what the #2 poster is going on about but I'm in agreement with a lot of others. An SKS is a great budget SHTF rifle. If you bring it home and clean out all the cosmoline, you might even be able to get away with never cleaning it again (if you don't care). Really. They will work forever. I love mine and sold off a lot of my other pieces before I could ever get rid of that. As far as which to choose??? Its really up to you. Their buttstocks really aren't THAT long to begin with and my main concern would be barrel length if you are thinking of clearing houses. Stick to a bare-bones if you are sold on the idea of using one.

I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that because you are in college, you live in apartments. Be advised that a 7.62x39 at close range may go right through your target (if it hits). This is important because you are responsible for every round leaving that barrel. A shotgun is much less likely to over-penetrate and head into someone else's apartment. I'm in college myself and have a Mossberg 500A Tac Cruiser specifically due to this.
    mano3 likes this.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    Count me in the "I like my SKS" category! I've had a Yugo for a few years and it shoots! Yes, the trigger is one of the worst I've ever felt. However, the gun goes bang every time and has held up under some really nasty conditions (Florida sand and Colorado snow). I did put on a Tapco collapsable stock after all the cosmoline was taken off. Yugo's and Norinco's have good reputations.

Stripper clips aren't that expensive - I'd get about 20 of them (10 rounds each) along with lots of ammo. The cheapest I've found ammo (in stock) is sportsmansguide.com. Good luck to you! (OH, BTW - personally, I'd avoid putting on a scope - keep the original sights).
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

When I left America a SKS 59/66 was going for $129. If that is still the case...then just buy three?
    I am sworn to protect the Constitution of the U.S.A. from all threats both foreign and domestic.

The SKS Paratrooper is the same as the regular SKS but with a cut down barrel and bayonet, the paratrooper is a Norinco, it is the only SKS like this. They where made this way by the importers as another sales gimmick, They where not a Chinese issue rifle, They are very good CQC rifles and are fun to shoot and will take a beating. Do not use after market mags! they perform the best as they are. Learn to use stripper clips.
    Over all I like the Norinco's the best, Russians are great to but they are pricey, The Yugos are a good rifle, but the Yugo 59/66 has an achilles heel in the gas valve, they can and will go bad at some point, where as you don't need to worry about gas valves with the other country SKS's. If your on a limited funds your best bet would be a regular Chinese SKS or a Mosin Nagant M44 or M38.
    Chinese SKS's are now going in the $185.00 to $250.00 range, M44's about $75.00 to $125.00.
    Have fun, here is a forum that deals only with SKS rifles, they know there stuff.
    "Planning to draw and chamber a round after TSHTF is like planning to fasten your seatbelt after you see the other guy run a stopsign..."

Professional hand engraver.
    To see full picture of knife in Avatar click here

Sponsor
    Ivan4x4,

Your opinion on the sks' must come from some bad experience with one or your expectations were too high.

I've got several Chinese sks' in standard configuration. 10 rds on strippers loaded 1K at a time and ready for use. I use one exclusively as a training rifle. This rifle will fire 3K in several sessions and still be running strong when I decide to clean it up some.

It's never failed to fire or eject in any way. Utterly reliable and can whack an 18" square gong at 300 all day long. Thats fairly representative of a humans chest area.

Start messing with the original design, run the risk of less reliability. I don't like the Yugo for the same reason already mentioned by another due to the grenade launcher valve o ring deteriorating and causing it be a one shot rifle.

An sks is a great bad times get out of town or defend the homestead rifle. The cartridge has enough power to kill reliably and is accurate enough to 300 yds when you are up to it.

Brownie
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Well then, looks like it'll have to be a Norinco then. I'll just get whichever model falls into my lap next month when the funds are available.
    Half measures availed us nothing...

Norinco would be an excellent choice. Or a Russian Tula or Izzy another excellent choice. Any of those three are the best choices of all the SKS manufacturers.

Bare bones sks. Stripper clips. Do NOT get duped into changing the magazine to a high-cap or removable magazine - the reliability becomes hit or miss.

If you decide to use a scope I suggest a scout-style pistol long relief scope so it doesn't interfere with anything and isn't permanent.

My Yugo SKS chews through ammunition like a sewing machine. Never a problem.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links