AK Muzzle Brake Removal: HELP! - Page 2

AK Muzzle Brake Removal: HELP!

This is a discussion on AK Muzzle Brake Removal: HELP! within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; It took a lot of effert to remove my WASR-10 stock muzzle break. CAI (drunk monkeys) messed up the threads, so when i took it ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    It took a lot of effert to remove my WASR-10 stock muzzle break. CAI (drunk monkeys) messed up the threads, so when i took it off, it needed to be rethreaded in order to get my new muzzle break on. If its a WASR, you need to turn it clockwise to get it off (think opposite of a typical screw) while at the same time holding the top pin down. Its a PITA.

VIP Member
    I had to turn the brake to the left to remove it. I know, I know, it is a romanian and it is supposed to go the other way but it did not.

I got the brake from Centerfire Systems. Maybe it is not a Romanian WASR after all even though what says in the receiver. Or they got their barrels from somebody else.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Use a pitch gauge then- I'm betting they used a non-threaded blank in your case, and went 1/2x28. The nice thing is you have a few more options with the AR style brakes/FHs. The Phantom is still the best bang for the buck.

VIP Member
    Rob, I have a buddy (your namesake BTW) who knows all things AR. Following your advice I already emailed him for his advice.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Good deal. FWIW, you can make the AK detent notches on an AR FH using a Dremel flat-end carbide burr. I'm partial to that over the crush washers.

VIP Member
    This is a very ticked off individual talking. Following the recommendations of some that "know" I went ahead and bought an specific adapter for a JTAC47 I managed to get at gunbroker for a fairly good price. As I stated before, I have no idea of what the thread measures are and I got hosed big time.

Here is the problem. The Outside diameter of the threaded part of the barrel is too darn small for inside diameters of the JTAC or the AK 74 brakes!

Here are a couple of pics

So I have a 2 mm difference in diameter and I cannot seem to find an adapter anywhere for this issue. About the only thing I can do is cut the threaded part of the barrel and throw new LH threads and pin & weld the new brake or I ran afoul of NFA because I'll be under 16" by an 1/8.

If anybody has a suggestion I am wide open
    Randy Cain.

Senior Moderator
    I doubt that you will find an adapter, for a 2MM difference there isn't enough meat there to make it worth wile.

Since you are under 16" what you need to do is to weld whatever you put on there and make it a permanent attachment to keep from running afoul of the law. Lots of makers ether tig-weld or silver braze the brakes on for this reason.

You're barrel is already too small for the brake that you have.
    I don't know what kind-of talent you have or if you have the tools to do it, but you could sleeve the brake itself. You could drill out the existing threads, press fit a bushing in there, tig weld the end of it and thread it for the proper threads.

Not a big deal if you have the stuff.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    I see what you mean and it is a viable solution if I can find somebody with the equipment. I am not that good anyways!

Still a mystery.... Where can you find a slanted brake that small in radius? And who came up with the idea of a non-spec brake and why?
    Randy Cain.

Senior Moderator
    You've got a 12MM thread...which is awfully close to a 1/2". Have you checked it with a Micrometer or a Dial Caliper?

If its a parts gun or the barrel was used with a US manufactured barrel, it'll be a 1/2-28 thread. If its an original configuration, it'll be a 14 MM.

The fact that you had to screw it to left to get it off leads me to beleive that its probably a standard US 1/2 -28 Extra fine thread. If that is the case, then there are a host of muzzle brakes out there that will fit it, as the AR's are the same thread.

Your best bet would be to forget about messing with the other brake and buy one that fits.But first, be sure of your thread size.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

Senior Moderator
    A solution to figureing out the threads if you dont have the proper stuff.

See if the slant brake that you took off fits an AR. If it does, you have a standard US thread, if not, you have metric.

If it dont, take a scale or a steel ruler and count the number of threads that you have in a half inch. If its the US thread pattern you should have 14 threads that you can count in one half inch.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

VIP Member
    Hot, I'll check your advice probably day after tomorrow and let you know. Keeping an eye on Fay and gotta go to work early.
    Randy Cain.

VIP Member
    Mystery Solved! although not the way I wanted it.
    First my thanks to HotGuns and everybody else who tried to help for your answers and patience dealing with me and this issue

In a sudden fit of half witted brilliance I contacted Century Arms about the issue and got the following response:

Some WASR rifles had a smaller than normal muzzle diameter and were fitted with a US made copy flash hider using a .5 x 20 RH thread. We still have this part available for replacement, but I am afraid that some work will be needed to fit another type of muzzle break. To my knowledge, there is no factory part that uses this thread pattern.
    So I am ordering a brake from them (and they better not try to gouge me) and save my JTac for the new AK I want to build.
    Randy Cain.

Some WASR rifles had a smaller than normal muzzle diameter and were fitted with a US made copy flash hider using a .5 x 20 RH thread. We still have this part available for replacement, but I am afraid that some work will be needed to fit another type of muzzle break. To my knowledge, there is no factory part that uses this thread pattern.
    Translation: "Vern done broke our die last December, & all Ace Hardware had in wus the 1/2"x20".

Glad you found an anwser.

Senior Moderator
    Translation: "Vern done broke our die last December, & all Ace Hardware had in wus the 1/2"x20".
    That is very possible.

Since it a half inch dia. thread anyway, there was no reason that they could'nt use 28 TPI which fits everything made for an AR.

Go figure.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

VIP Member
    I know this thread keeps coming back like a bad zombie (Which is a dangerous thing to say in a room full of shooters ), but this time I have good news.

Brian Smithwick of Dinzagarms.com was generous enough to read my emails and he will be building an adapter for my WASR. He's been gracious responding and giving me options. I decided to go with the adapter because I am not that good with semi-precision work, but if you are willing and able to do some extra work on your AK of any brand, Brain even rents tools.
    Also, if you have Saiga shotties, you must check his site. He's got all kinds of accessories and tools to trick your Russian Sweeper.
    Randy Cain.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links