Concerns with using a rifle for home defense

This is a discussion on Concerns with using a rifle for home defense within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Some light reading: The Box O' Truth - The Box O' Truth...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Concerns with using a rifle for home defense

I am not a Lawyer, LEO, or Special Forces Operator.
    The writings above are not burdened by trivialities such as research, experience or facts. However, it is on the Internet, so it must be true.
    InstructorCommunity, forum for instructors.
    The Threadless Nut, my blog

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    I prefer handgun ,less chance of loss control of the muzzle.I also keep a 12gauge pump shotgun.

There are a number of studies showing that pistol calibers go through walls worse than 5.56, which is why most CQB teams have switched - it gives them longer range outside, but doesn't overpenetrate structures nearly as bad b/c the round fragments even with FMJ ammo much easier than pistol rounds do, lessening the threat of leathality.

Now, the 7.62mm is a different monster all together, I woudln't know what to say about it, although to say that it didnt penetrate most structures that I saw hit with them any worse than 5.56 but I haven't seen quality statistics on it.

Quote Originally Posted by vernonator View Post
    Yup....get a decent frangible round and a 5.56 will not penetrate two sheets of drywall.
    Be sure not to buy ammo that is actually "Frangible" - that stuff is designed for shooting steel plates at close range, and is a horrible choice for HD/SD.

I'm pretty sure vernonator was referring to a standard round, but one that will fragment on impact due to its velocity and construction.

Austin

BAC
    Hornady TAP has been getting consistent rave reviews since it came out, and once my upper comes in will be my default defensive ammo. I don't think I'd trust the lighter grain hollow-points; I haven't seen any hard data, but human skin is pretty tough, and combined with clothing and muscle density might seriously hinder a lighter hollowpoint from getting to the good stuff to actually put a person down. It's hard enough to get solid hits under pressure, so hindering one's self with a poor choice of ammunition doesn't strike me as a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by crzy4guns View Post
    This has got me thinking about getting a Ruger mini 14 carbine for home defense.

That new NRA model with the 16" barrel may just do the trick.
    Why? What does the Mini-14 have over the more common rifle, the AR15? It used to be that they were cheaper beater guns available during a time when ARs only came from a few companies, weren't any kind of cheap, and were subject to more legal ball-and-chains, but that's all changed. Mini's are more expensive, there are more quality ARs out there than ever before, and generally-speaking gun laws are moving in a positive direction. I find it extremely hard to justify a Mini-14 for personal defense when there exists at least a few examples of better rifles, unless you really believe the way a rifle looks will somehow change a jury's opinion.

-B

Quote Originally Posted by 762 View Post
    Depending on the grain, a 7.62x39 is between 2,700-2,900 FPS.

Seems a bit ambitious. Any of the bulk stuff I chronographed clocked between 2300 fps and 2450 from an SKS.

I would prefer a light rifle to a handgun or shotgun. The M1 Carbine is one that makes a lot of sense and does duty here. I also still keep the Winchester Model 1907 .351 on hand.

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    Seems a bit ambitious. Any of the bulk stuff I chronographed clocked between 2300 fps and 2450 from an SKS.

I would prefer a light rifle to a handgun or shotgun. The M1 Carbine is one that makes a lot of sense and does duty here. I also still keep the Winchester Model 1907 .351 on hand.
    perhaps i am off, by a few...hundred feet per second

i am going to check out some shotguns in a few weeks.

I truly wonder what can take 16 rounds of hollow point and still keep aggressing.

then again - my brother was in a firefight in Iraq a few years back and told me his fellow marine pumped 30 rounds of .223 into a terrorist and the guy kept charging. i guess it's possible, esp. if the perp is on something.
    Let's Roll - Todd Beamer

MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

Its more mental than physical - at least as long as the threat is concerned. You can "kill" someone with a shot to the heart, but if it doesn't hit the spinal cord they will still have a good 30 seconds of fight left in them, if not more. You can only do your best - then start hoping the guy is scared of getting shot, in which case the reaction to a miss will likely be just as good as a hit - fall down and pass out.

Austin

I think a kid is more likely to soil himself if confronted with a gun then an adult. correct me if i am wrong.
    Let's Roll - Todd Beamer

MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

I just bought a 9mm Beretta CX4 Storm for home defense. It's light, 5 lbs, short, 30" and uses the same 9mm ammo my pistol uses. It's also very accurate and very easy to shoot.
    Warning: Driver only carries $20 worth of ammunition.

I prefer a shotgun over a rifle. In home defense, even in a riot situation, you are usually working short range (I live in a densely populated area, maybe 50ft to the next house). Also with a shotgun you have a wider range of ammunition (bird shot, buck shot, even non-lethal rounds like OC). I would only prefer a rifle over a shotgun for distances further then maybe 150ft. At least for me, that is highly unlikely.
    I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. (Thomas Jefferson)

BAC
    Quote Originally Posted by 762 View Post
    I truly wonder what can take 16 rounds of hollow point and still keep aggressing.

then again - my brother was in a firefight in Iraq a few years back and told me his fellow marine pumped 30 rounds of .223 into a terrorist and the guy kept charging. i guess it's possible, esp. if the perp is on something.
    That's a lot of assumed hits.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulJ View Post
    I prefer a shotgun over a rifle. In home defense, even in a riot situation, you are usually working short range (I live in a densely populated area, maybe 50ft to the next house). Also with a shotgun you have a wider range of ammunition (bird shot, buck shot, even non-lethal rounds like OC). I would only prefer a rifle over a shotgun for distances further then maybe 150ft. At least for me, that is highly unlikely.
    A growing number of SWAT and similar special response teams seem to be disagree. I might be inclined to value the opinion of he who's foot kicks down the door in the face of life-threatening danger on a more regular basis than I do.

-B

the only logical course of action is to buy both a hd shottie and a ar. Then you can grab whichever best suits your mood at the time you are woken in the middle of the night.
    -mac
    "In those days, there was a lot more respect for other people and it showed in peoples values.... Today the word value means nothing more than something you get on the $1 menu at McDonald's." -BARK'N

i ran through the process with my wife and the AK (if she ever needs it when i am not here). she is petite and had a hard time racking the bolt back....i need to get a shotty in the house...something easier for her to use.
    Let's Roll - Todd Beamer

MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    This could not be more true, its a matter of physics.

Anyway, I think a PCC is an ideal HD weapon but a 5.56 carbine can fill two roles as well.
    I've been working on finding the right PCC for about a year now, and have come to the conclusion I will have to build my own to get what I want.
    Okay, help out an ignorant brother here.

What is a PCC?
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links