Concerns with using a rifle for home defense

This is a discussion on Concerns with using a rifle for home defense within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My 9 is my default defense weapon at home. it's either on my side or my night stand. if 16 rounds of HP don't do ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Concerns with using a rifle for home defense

My 9 is my default defense weapon at home. it's either on my side or my night stand. if 16 rounds of HP don't do the trick, i don't know what will, but in the event, my backup is my beloved Kalashnikov - but with an issue...

A round from my AK will not only go through an intruder/evil doer, but will also go through 4-6 walls and everything in between. given the close proximity of the homes out here, i run the risk of my rounds landing on other peoples home in the event that i ever have to use it.

This is the same if i used any other rifle i have aside from my .22.

While it's a chance i will take to defend my home and my wife, it's
    not something i hope i ever have to do.

This is a contentious subject that comes up often here. If you use the search function you will probably find a lot of threads about it.

I'm in the penetration is king school of thought - but I still think most rifle calibers are too much risk to neighbors. A pistol caliber carbine is my top choice, and on my long list of things to buy before the elections.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Like a hi-point? my friend has one. it's not a saturday night special, but i am sure it will work.

VIP Member
    Considering the possibility of over penetration from a rifle I prefer a 12ga shotgun loaded with #4 buck for a back-up to my 1911.

Quote Originally Posted by 762 View Post
    Like a hi-point? my friend has one. it's not a saturday night special, but i am sure it will work.
    Hi-points are ugly IMO but work. CX4 Storm, 9mm AR are good options too.

My preferred HD Longgun is my Shotgun, but I like the idea of a carbine for capacity and careful shots.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

shotgun is another option i am considering. I personally do not like shooting them at all, but for home defense and max effect, i may get one and just keep it in my closet.

Rifle rounds are a bit much in home defense. I personally feel a large pistol caliber sometimes is dangerous, depending on the thickness of your walls. I live in a one story brick house, so with the exception of firing through a window, a pistol caliber is just fine.

Shotguns still rule for home defense.

AMH
    My primary weapon is a SAXD .45acp, back up is a 12 GA loaded with birdshot (this load for HD is a matter of controversy in and of itself, but I use it do to the pesky little rattle snake issue we have here in the SW), and my last resort is my Kalashnikov.

As mentioned already in this thread, a rifle for HD is a hotly debated topic, mostly due to penetration issues.

I personally think that not having a combat rifle available is foolish. 2A is about keeping the government in check; this requires arms similar to what the government uses.

From a HD standpoint, there have been way too many civil unrest situations where I would prefer a rifle over a sidearm. American history is riddled with such situations, i.e.: The Detroit Riot of 1967, The Tulsa, Oklahoma Race Riot of 1921, The Los Angeles riots of 1992, etc.

If you don’t have one already, buy a shotgun. You can get a basic model for about $200.
    88 Security
    Join the NRA!
    The Second Amendment has nothing to do with hunting. It is about keeping the government in check. This requires that the citizenry is well armed and at all times has immediate access to arms.

My AK (Lola) was adopted sooner due to the looming threats post November. In the event that the messiah looses, i want to be ready for riots and unrest.

I will have to check a shotty out sometime.

I have my .45's for basic HD. I also have a 30-30 and my AR-15 for 'reaching out and touching someone'...but not for use inside the home.

For additional HD I keep my double barrel, 12ga coach gun...00buck is my solution for 'groups' of uninvited guests.

Stay armed...make a plan...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

A good shotty for HD trumps a rifle #1 00 buck 2 3/4" has 9 pellets,chances of over penetration with collateral damage very minimal,better chance of hitting the target in a high stress situation,
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by AMH View Post
    As mentioned already in this thread, a rifle for HD is a hotly debated topic, mostly due to penetration issues.

I personally think that not having a combat rifle available is foolish. 2A is about keeping the government in check; this requires arms similar to what the government uses.

From a HD standpoint, there have been way too many civil unrest situations where I would prefer a rifle over a sidearm. American history is riddled with such situations, i.e.: The Detroit Riot of 1967, The Tulsa, Oklahoma Race Riot of 1921, The Los Angeles riots of 1992, etc.
    Ahh yes you speak of riot situations. A rifle would be a bit more acceptable there - I think most here are taking middle of the night type scenarios. Agreed that every home needs a good combat rifle. For overnight protection I prefer something with less potential for collateral damage.

BAC
    Quote Originally Posted by matiki View Post
    This is a contentious subject that comes up often here. If you use the search function you will probably find a lot of threads about it.
    That he would. Anyway, there's a reason 5.56 caliber rifles are becoming more commonly used as indoors weapons. They are much, much less likely (using proper ammo) to over-penetrate than pistol and shotgun ammo.

-B

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    That he would. Anyway, there's a reason 5.56 caliber rifles are becoming more commonly used as indoors weapons. They are much, much less likely (using proper ammo) to over-penetrate than pistol and shotgun ammo.

-B
    This could not be more true, its a matter of physics.

Anyway, I think a PCC is an ideal HD weapon but a 5.56 carbine can fill two roles as well.
    I've been working on finding the right PCC for about a year now, and have come to the conclusion I will have to build my own to get what I want.
    I also feel that no home arsenal is complete without a good handy shotgun, such as a pump or coach gun.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Moderator
    My primary HD weapon is a M1 Carbine. Which I consider to be a pistol caliber carbine.

The reason I went with the M1 Carbine over a shotgun is for the simple reason that my wife likes to shoot the carbine.

As far as penetration is concerned I would rather over penetrate than under penetrate
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links