Need help identifying an AR-15 variant

This is a discussion on Need help identifying an AR-15 variant within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Sometime within the last few months, I read a magazine article on an AR-15 which had an interesting feature. It had its iron sights offset ...

Thread: Need help identifying an AR-15 variant

Senior Member Array Sergeant Mac's Avatar

Need help identifying an AR-15 variant

Sometime within the last few months, I read a magazine article on an AR-15 which had an interesting feature.

It had its iron sights offset at about a 30-45 degree angle to the right of the receiver, leaving the top plane completely open for optics. For long-range shots, you could use a scope mounted on the flat top, close to the bore axis. For CQB, you just cant the gun a little and use the iron sights.

Does anybody know who makes this?

2. Remove Ads

Sabre Defence XR15A3 Competition Extreme
    I read the write up on it in the April/May issue of On Target.
    I checked and that issue is not yet available on the internet--maybe next month--but check in anyway, register, and get in on the giveaway.
    On Target Magazine
    Sabre Defence :: Firearms :: XR15 Rifles, .50 cal barrels, AR15 upper and lower receivers

Competition Extreme
    Specifications

Sabre A3 Upper and Matched Lower CNC Machined from 7075-T6 Forgings, CTR Stock, Tubular Free-Float Handguards, Ergo Grip, Match Trigger, 45 Degree Flip Up Sights
    Barrel Assembly

Fluted Mid-Weight Mid Length, Fitted with M4 Feed Ramps, 410 Stainless Fluted
    Last edited by Ram Rod; July 17th, 2008 at 04:29 PM.

That's a different take. The 3 gunners and hotshots have been using flat tops with BUIS and an off-set micro sight, ala JPoint. I'd have to ponder on off-set irons.... switching over to a holo sight doesn't require alignment, irons do. Maybe I'm just not that whippy, but initially I'm not too wild about the concept.

Edit: Don't like it. The iron front is bulk hanging out to hang up, even folded. An off-set JPoint is at the rear of the HG. You might crush it, falling on your rifle, but you won't snag the whole works shoving your muzzle through an aperture.

Thanks, Ram Rod! Come to think of it, that's probably where I saw it, too.

It's just a shame that Sabre is so PROUD of their rifle. I notice that the upper has the very same MSRP as the whole rifle.....

I liked the basic concept, though I'd want a longer sight radius. For whatever reason, I had thought that the rear sight was at the rear of the receiver.

Now I'm wondering if I could just get a pin-on front sight assembly, a flat-top gas block, and an off-set flip-up rear sight.....

Quote Originally Posted by Sergeant Mac View Post
    Thanks, Ram Rod! Come to think of it, that's probably where I saw it, too.

It's just a shame that Sabre is so PROUD of their rifle. I notice that the upper has the very same MSRP as the whole rifle.....

I liked the basic concept, though I'd want a longer sight radius. For whatever reason, I had thought that the rear sight was at the rear of the receiver.

Now I'm wondering if I could just get a pin-on front sight assembly, a flat-top gas block, and an off-set flip-up rear sight.....
    I hadn't really thought of it but DPMS makes a 6 rail forearm and their mangonel sights seem low profile... I wonder if you could make that work for much less $$$.

ETA:

SHOT Show 2005 - Day 1
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Not sure, but i have these on my 3 gun rifle: JP Rifles They are called the "JP Short-Range Tactical Sight" and the concept is the same, the sight is more similar to a pistol sight though. I like these more than the other ones because these are a little quicker to get on target with at the distances that I am going to be using them for. I have them at about 40 degrees off the right side of my handguard so that all I have to do is roll the rifle a little to get those closer shots. You can see it towards the barrel end in the attached pic.

Hope this helps!
    Attached Images
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at...

With an aluminum free float handguard--all you'd need to do is drill and mount a rail in the right place and put your flip up sights on there. I used to have a GG&G mount for my M-3 tac light mounted at 45 on the left side of my M4 carbine plastic handguards. I'm sure you could find a more cost effective way of doing this than buying that upper.

VIP Member

This is a picatiny offset 45 degrees that might do the trick. There are longer versions available
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

You might want to take a look at the Viking Tactics free float tubes. They are pretty much exactly what you're describing - and if you don't want to spend $2k on the upper, you could always do even better and get yourself the Noveske/Viking Tactics upper - check it out at Noveske Rifleworks, LLC. Precision Battle Weapons. NoveskeRifleworks.com - click on the Products link and then go down to the bottom and click Viking Tactics.

Austin

JP Rifles makes the Viking handguard, FYI.

I have one on my AR-10, and love the handgurad.
    Aaron

If you don't protect your self, who will?

If you have to rotate the rifle to use the BUIS then the ejection port will be facing straight up, or close to it, unless I am misunderstanding how this works? Not sure I like the idea of rotating the rifle in order to use the BUIS.

nch
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Quote Originally Posted by NCHornet View Post
    If you have to rotate the rifle to use the BUIS then the ejection port will be facing straight up, or close to it, unless I am misunderstanding how this works? Not sure I like the idea of rotating the rifle in order to use the BUIS.

nch
    It's for speed.

Scenario 1:

Optics with BUIS
    Long range shots transition to short range shots, you need to detach the optics or you slow down a lot.

Scenario 2:

Optics with offset BUIS
    Long range shots transition to short range shots you only twist the rifle without losing your grip or position.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

What's wrong with the ejection port facing up? The brass isn't going to fall back into the gun. These things are marketed towards people that want a variable power scope for medium and long range shots, but still want the ability to shoot fast at short range.

Austin

Quote Originally Posted by aus71383 View Post
    What's wrong with the ejection port facing up? The brass isn't going to fall back into the gun.
    Even if it DID, by the time it got back there, the bolt carrier would be in its way.

Links