Store AR Locked and Loaded, or better to dry fire and release firing pin?

This is a discussion on Store AR Locked and Loaded, or better to dry fire and release firing pin? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; That about says it: Do you dry fire before storage?...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

That about says it: Do you dry fire before storage?
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Hunh? You release the hammer, no stress at any point on the FP...

If it's loaded, I would recommend against "dry" frining before storage. I only keep a go-to gun hot, other are not, but are treated as such.

I would never dry fire an AR15. There are other ways my son. With bolt back, pull the charging handle to the rear disengaging the bolt stop, with left hand-press in on bolt stop release while easing the bolt closed with resistance on the charging handle while pulling the trigger to the rear. How do I store mine you ask? Bolt closed with safety engaged---why would I need to drop the hammer? You're not releasing the firing pin anyway---it's not a Glock...no spring loaded firing pin if that's what you're worried about.

I wouldn't dry fire it either. The firing pin is a floating design (no spring tension anywhere) so leave it alone! Like a rimfire, one of the few weapons dryfire is not a good idea with.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Well, I'll be different. I've dry fired M-16's hundreds, if not thousands of times. Didn't really have a choice about it either. Haven't seen it break one yet. Also, ours are stored without being dry fired.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

I guess I've tipped my hand about my ignorance of the workings of my new toy. Yes, that makes sense. The firing pin floats and gets smacked by the hammer. I'll be studying it more.

I hadn't really thought of dry firing as being a possible no-no, because I recall doing it in USAF Basic Training as part of our marksmanship training. That was a very long time ago. If I recall from my last (and only) field strip, there is a shoulder on the firing pin that should keep the tip of the firing pin from being worn down from repeatedly getting smacked in the little hole that it comes through. Just going off my poor memory, though...could be wrong. (BTW Thank you, LimaTunes for the youtube how-to video)

Anyhow, thanks for the replies, I have definately learned from you.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!

With due respect, I don't buy the dry-fire issue either. It was (and I'm guessing still is) part of the basic manual of arms in the Army. We did it with the dime on the barrel to check for flinch and it is part of the function check procedure that is done to verify that everything was reassembled properly. The function check was done each and every time we put it together, and then some.

If this was a problem, they'd be failing all over the place.
    I am not a Lawyer, LEO, or Special Forces Operator.
    The writings above are not burdened by trivialities such as research, experience or facts. However, it is on the Internet, so it must be true.
    InstructorCommunity, forum for instructors.
    The Threadless Nut, my blog

Just to add to the confusion...my home defense AR is stored with a loaded mag in the belly and the bolt locked back. All I have to do is smack the bolt release to load . Is THAT a improper way to store an AR? I can't see it doing anything harmful...but I know about . that much about AR inner workings
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

Another fine question for us uneducated types. Except my 2 carry guns, I store everything with loaded mags, empty chamber, safety off. Not sure if I'd try with the bolt back, but it'd be nice to know if I can. (the muzzle could cover my head while coming out of the safe) (I know, small chance, but can you say slam fire?)

Cupcake, if you are asking about AR's, you can have the bolt back with with the safety on. Won't effect anything I know of, but I'm not a gunsmith.

dunndw, I wouldn't keep an AR with a loaded mag with the bolt back, crap can get in the chamber, and it doesn't take much force on the rifle to release the bolt. Using an empty rifle lock back the bolt, and smack to bottom of the buttstock. I usually keep mine around the house condition 3, but I would recommend that with the bolt forward, wouldn't want something to get in the chamber and block the bolt with it sitting open.

Just my thoughts.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by dunndw View Post
    Is THAT a improper way to store an AR?
    Two obvious problems:
    1) a sizeable foreign object finds its way into the receiver and prevents the bolt from going into battery when you need it to do so, or...
    2) its very easy for the uneducated to accidentally close the bolt. Ready-made recipe for an ND.

Short answer: "ready" means either round in the chamber, full mag & on "safe," or mag in receiver, chamber empty, hammer back & on "safe."

Stay safe.

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    I dry fire everything I own and haven't broken one firing pin yet or any other
    piece yet.

Well we always had to drop them in the Army all the time. Practice involves dry firing even. I store mine with the hammer down, magazine in the well, and naturally the safety off. I don't think it matters either way. I just am never without my sidearm, so if I have to get to it I will have another weapon in hand and firing - I can take the second to work the charging handle and shoot.

It is a great idea to dry fire your AR-15. It will improve your trigger pull and your accuracy. Do it! It won't hurt anything.

If you have the lower and upper receivers separated, don't dry fire it. The hammer will smack against the bolt catch - not good.

How you store it is up to you - just keep in mind, if you dry fire it, the gun will not go to "Safe" - it will be stuck on "Fire" until the hammer gets cocked again.

Austin

What if the door is shut?

I'm learning a bleeding TON on ARs lately..I've been taken by the dark side...I've even got a arfcom bolt face sticker on my SUV now :-)
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links