AR foregrips.

AR foregrips.

This is a discussion on AR foregrips. within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; What is the deal with AR foregrips? I ordered something to fit on to the stock foregrip of my M&P 15A and it seems to ...

Thread: AR foregrips.

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar

AR foregrips.

What is the deal with AR foregrips? I ordered something to fit on to the stock foregrip of my M&P 15A and it seems to be made for a "smaller" grip. I've seen both the small and large on various M&P's and various other AR's. Which one would be standard? What are they called? Sorta confused and bummed that I can't put on the attachment that I wanted.
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

Lead Moderator
    Some of the specs are a bit off from actual rail size. What Vert grip are you trying to install?
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I got a vertical grip with the spring out bipod (I forget the name). Not the real expensive one though and I did get it on sale. I don't need it for battle so spending half the money of what the "best" is good for me (for now;). I WAS going to mount it to the foregrip using bolt-on rail attachment, but the rail is plastic, so I don't even think that it would work good for range use. But the rail won't fit onto the foregrip because it was made for the small grip, not the one I have.

Since that didn't work, I was going to mount the vertical grip to the bayonet lug mount that I have my light on, but it won't fit on that mount because it is a weaver and the foregrip must be a picatinny mount.

So, I'm guessing that the only way I can get the vertical grip on my AR is to buy a rail system. That is a lot of money for a college student working retail considering how much I've already put into this rifle. It's the black rifle disease I tell you, LOL.

If you have to get a rail system to make it work, i suggest looking into the Yankee Hill Light Weight Free Floating 4 rail. Very nicely made and SOLID. Plus its Free Floating so that bipod or grip want affect your shots like it possibly could on a non free floating rail system or bolted to the barrel.

Plus they are about Half the price of some of the other rail systems and do not lack quality IMO

Lead Moderator
    Perhaps a short bolt on rail that is a Picatinny (1913) is the cheapest option. Usually you can find them for sale $14 or less.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I was looking at Yankee hill, and have a couple of their attachments for my red dot. I'm not understanding the pro's of having a free floating rail versus not. Do you have to remove the front sight?

Yes the front site would have to be removed to install it.

Benifits off the top of my head would be
    Advanced cooling. The solid plastic hand guards hold heat.
    When using Vert Foregrips or Bipods. Torque and stress put on the rails will not be transferred to the barrel like solid mounted rails.
    You could literally torque the barrel enough with a solid mount and a VFG or bipod that you could actually move the relation between the barrel and your optics/sights. And at distance could result in inches or even feet off target.

But what rocky said should work too. Theres no right or wrong way of doing anything on your AR. Its all preferance and how you want to build it up!

Lead Moderator
    I had the FF Yankee Hill rail. The only problem I noticed was the locking collar would not really hold the rail tight enough. I did not have a front sight to remove either.
    the 2 pc YHM rails were nice too. Some play, but not much. The UTG brand 2 pc rails seem just as solid & come with srews to lock the pcs. together, but cost less if $$$ is an issue.

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Well, I guess I'll give this a try until I really start some serious modding. The results of this little project should work for what I intend to use the AR for for now.
    https://www.mapartsinc.com/productsDetail.asp?id=1100

I want to keep my front sight, so I guess eventually I'll replace the stock handguard with a rail system.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernZ71 View Post
    If you have to get a rail system to make it work, i suggest looking into the Yankee Hill Light Weight Free Floating 4 rail. Very nicely made and SOLID. Plus its Free Floating so that bipod or grip want affect your shots like it possibly could on a non free floating rail system or bolted to the barrel.

Plus they are about Half the price of some of the other rail systems and do not lack quality IMO

+1 on a free float rail. If you have to pay extra it is well worth the money!

Purchase the Daniel Defense "Omega" rail system. No need to take off the front sight block, easy just with a couple of tools. Screw driver and hex wrench supplied with the rail system.

About the same cost as the YHM and a better free floating system if you ask me.

You can find the Daniel Defense "Omega" rail system here: Bravo Company USA, Inc. AR-15, M16, M4 Tactical Gear, Parts, Accessories.

Takes all of about ten minutes to install and is a Mil Spec hard coat rail system.

Take your pic of vertical foregrips. Knights, LaRue Tactical, Tango Down, etc.

Personally I'd go with the LaRue Tactical. In this day and age, there's not much out there that beats LaRue Tactical.

LaRue Tactical
    Perhaps your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

Is this vertical foregrip/bipod designed to clamp on to the plastic stock handguards? If so, it is likely intended to be used on the rifle length handguards - in which case I would guess you are SOL. That said, you probably don't need a vertical foregrip and a bipod anyhow. If you buy the cheapest vertical foregrip/bipod you can find, it won't work, and then you buy the cheapest rail system you can find to make it work, pretty soon you will have spent a lot of money on cheap parts that you didn't need. Just a thought. Of course, you probably know that you don't need those things, and you just want them - in which case, have fun!

Austin

Links