Home Defense + Long Range?

This is a discussion on Home Defense + Long Range? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have been into handguns for quite some time but am very limited in knowledge when it comes to rifles or shotguns. That being said, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I have been into handguns for quite some time but am very limited in knowledge when it comes to rifles or shotguns.

That being said, I am looking for an all around good SHTF firearm. Im not sure whats good but im looking to spend under $600 if at all possible. I want something thats good for both home defense and somewhat long range (just in case).

Could someone throw some suggestions out there?

Ive been looking at the Remington 700 and the Mossberg Mariner 590, but each of those only serves 1 of the purposes im looking for.

Is there such a rifle/shotgun that safely meets both of my requirements?

Administrator
    I'd buy a shotgun first, they give you the most options versatility, then a carbine after that. A good 12ga can give you about 100yds of reach with the correct ammo, that should be enough for just about anyone.
    "Just blame Sixto"

KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) Works for a basic home defense long gun.

My choices would be as follows:

870 Remington with 20" rifle sighted smooth bore slug gun. This weapon is viable from close range to 80yds or so with common foster slugs and buckshot. A very comanding weapon. (See Joe Horn and or James Walton of Texas, use of shotguns on thieves)

A Marlin or Winchester 30-30 is an excellent choice within your price range. The effectiveness of the 30-30 hunting rounds is without doubt and ammo is available any place in North America.

These are very simple yet effective weapons, if costs is a primary concern, many quality used examples are available.

As far as a specialty long range gun for self defense shooting goes, any quality bolt action deer rifle would work. But this hardly ever comes into play.

My parsonal choice for this would be an M-1 Garand loaded with the Black tipped amor piercing rounds or M2 Ball. Civilian Marksmanship Program has Service grade rifles for 595 or correct grades at 950.
    The military ammo is very penetrative, but if the situation requires target engagement at long range I would want to shoot through whatever he is hiding behind or riding in.
    The main reason for the Garand would be because I like shooting them and I would have fun with the rifle.

Get good with any weapons you choose.

+1 on SIXTO's advice, Shotgun first.

Afterwards, an investment in a carbine would be the way to go.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

I would recommend either a shottie OR something in the AR platform (M4 style carbine). I live on an acerage and use a Rock River Arms carbine as my ready rifle. It can reach out to the ends of my property (4 acres) with ease and has less chance of overpenetration (with frangible ammo) than a shottie or handgun.

It also servers as a varmit rifle - lots of coyotes in these parts :)

Another vote for a shotgun first, then carbine.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Quote Originally Posted by matiki View Post
    Another vote for a shotgun first, then carbine.
    Ditto!
    One man with a gun can control 100 without one.
    Vladimir Lenin

A shotgun is a good first choice, but that only gives you range out to about 100 yards, you can get a Rem 870, or Mossberg 500 new for easily under $350 if you look around.

As far as long range your best bet might be surplus bolt actions, like the German 8mm Mauser's going around right now, they are tackdrivers, with proven effectiveness at long range. Other than that a Savage bolt action or something similar.

As far as the above suggestion of a .30-30, it's not going to give you knock down power at much further range than a shotgun, I love .30-30's and it's a great rifle, but 250 yards is really stretching the round.

About the only weapon I can see that meets your requirements is a M-4, which you will need to expand your price range slightly for.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Again, get the shotgun first. My wife likes autos, I prefer my over/under. Other guys like pumps. Whatever floats your boat.

As for long range rifles, I'm getting a Savage Arms in 338 Win Mag. If you're gonna reach out and touch something, this will make sure it doesn't get back up.

Savage Arms makes highly accurate rifles for those of us on a budget. I love the other one I have.

Others I am considering in 338 Win Mag:
    - Browning Stalker (More expensive, but includes BOSS option)
    - Weatherby Vanguard SUB-MOA (More Expensive, and no left hand models, a down side for me)

Prepare to spend a chunk of change on a good scope, otherwise you're wasting your money on a long range rifle.

AMH
    IF you don’t have any long guns and have a $600 budget then consider this:

Buy a Mossberg Maverick and an SKS. You will have a few bucks left over for ammo.
    Join the NRA!
    The Second Amendment has nothing to do with hunting. It is about keeping the government in check. This requires that the citizenry is well armed and at all times has immediate access to arms.

BAC
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    As far as long range your best bet might be surplus bolt actions, like the German 8mm Mauser's going around right now, they are tackdrivers, with proven effectiveness at long range. Other than that a Savage bolt action or something similar.
    Normally I defend the Mauser rifles, because I love mine and it's been a wonderful rifle to own and shoot, but I recommend against it for the reason that inexpensive 8mm ammo is nonexistent these days. It was extremely popular some few years ago, because surplus 8mm ammo was everywhere, but now it's just about all dried up. It's marginally better price-wise than the good ol' Swiss K-31. For an inexpensive mil-surp rifle, the Mosin Nagant would probably be the better option.

Anything in 30-30 or 7.62x39 is going to suffer at those ranges, so I would tend to agree with buckeyeLCPL that an M4-type rifle might be your best bet.

Shotty first though. Too versatile to pass up (and slug guns can still do some reaching out and touching, especially with the newer sabot rounds).

-B

Looks like I'll be going with a shottie.

On the other hand. How much would a decent M-4 run?

BAC
    Forcythe87, check your inbox.

-B

How do you define somewhat long range?
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

+1 on the 12Ga... Either a Mossberg 500 or Rem 870. Both great guns!
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links