Which AR-15 is best

This is a discussion on Which AR-15 is best within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Looking to pickup a AR-15, maybe a Wilson Combat or a Les Baer, are they worth the extra $$ or should I just get a ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which AR-15 is best

Which AR-15 is best

Looking to pickup a AR-15, maybe a Wilson Combat or a Les Baer, are they worth the extra $$ or should I just get a Colt or Bushy, S&W or one of the many others?
    Sig P250 9mm
    Ed Brown 1911 Kobra 45ACP
    Ruger Mark III 22
    Browning Silver 12ga
    Browning BAR 30-06

2. Remove Ads

What do you want to do with it. I'm new to ARs, but if it's for HD, you just need reliable. Any of them will be plenty accurate, and from my pre-purchase reading, Smith, RRA, Bushy, and most others are perfectly reliable, just do your part with training and maintenence. Unless you have bottomless pockets, I'd get anything affordable name (brand except Olympic), and then buy lots of ammo and range time and become very familiar with operating and maintaining your new friend.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Noveske/COLT/LMT

Check out Stag as far as an AR Stag Arms
    I am not trying to start a fight here, when I purchased one it felt just like the M4 I carried in Iraq, I have since had soldiers tell me the same and a guy who has a RRA, tell me if feels some much better than his AR; I called Stagarms and they said they made or still make parts for the military. The weapon is cheaper and comes standard with a chrome lined barrel, the others guys want you to shell out $40.00 extra for one , check them out.
    You do not think the 9mm is effective? Then let me shoot at you.

JT
    In before "the chart"!

Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    I've got some slapped together parts AR's and a DPMS. The AR that I want as my baby mall ninja cool looking never need the capabilities but still awesome to have. Is a Piston driven LWRC. But if you don't want to spend 2k and you still want an awesome gun Bushy, Stag, RRA, Double Star, Smith and Wesson, Olympic, DPMS all those will do just fine. With the price of ammo the gun will definitly outlive you!
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

The OP is asking for the best AR and you recommend a DPMS...lol

Quote Originally Posted by JLeon View Post

Quote Originally Posted by mig7410 View Post
    Looking to pickup a AR-15, maybe a Wilson Combat or a Les Baer, are they worth the extra $$ or should I just get a Colt or Bushy, S&W or one of the many others?
    I think it depends on what you want it for. Have you checked out AR15.COM yet?
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

matiki: You should quote the thread tiltle while you are at it.

Once again depends on what you want it for. Home defense has its own set of requirements, competition shooting another. General requirements in my book for an AR are a 5.56 chamber, and chrome lined, aside from that it's really completely customizable to do what I want it to.

I'm happy with my Bushmaster, if I was going to buy another AR I'd probably go with RRA.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

BAC
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    Once again depends on what you want it for.
    Repeated for emphasis.

Home defense has its own set of requirements, competition shooting another. General requirements in my book for an AR are a 5.56 chamber, and chrome lined...
    Add to these proper carrier key staking, proper buffers, and correct front sight posts.

-B

Quote Originally Posted by mig7410 View Post
    For me the way you ask, with out doubt, Les Bear.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by JLeon View Post
    As opposed to some of those other guns that are Built to Milspec.

MILSPEC=BUILT BY LOWEST BIDDER.

IMHO there is nothing wrong with the gun. Your average shooter is never going to get enough rounds through a gun in his/her life to notice any difference. MY dream AR is a LWRC piston driven. But for HD shoot little sit behind bed waiting for the Zombie APOC nothing wrong with the DPMS.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

BAC
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob99VMI04 View Post
    As opposed to some of those other guns that are Built to Milspec.

MILSPEC=BUILT BY LOWEST BIDDER.
    No. Milspec = built to specified standards. When you buy from a company that follows or does is damnest to follow the TDP, you know what you're getting. Yes, the TDP is a set of minimum standards that must be met, but its standards are for fighting rifles. The TDP is determined before the bidding ever starts.

Rollmarks aren't the only thing that differentiates a DPMS from a Colt, LMT, and Noveske (honestly, I'd also rate ADS, CD Defense, and Sabre Defense quite highly as well).

-B

Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    No. Milspec = built to specified standards. When you buy from a company that follows or does is damnest to follow the TDP, you know what you're getting. Yes, the TDP is a set of minimum standards that must be met, but its standards are for fighting rifles. The TDP is determined before the bidding ever starts.

Rollmarks aren't the only thing that differentiates a DPMS from a Colt, LMT, and Noveske (honestly, I'd also rate ADS, CD Defense, and Sabre Defense quite highly as well).

-B
    I agree with you to an extent however I think we can agree on one thing Military contracts depend a lot on price. Because it comes down to overall cost of all the units to out fit the military lets face it 226 vs. 92F/s I love both and own both however if I was king I would have picked the 226 over the 92. Don't get me wrong my 92 has NEVER failed, nor has my 226 however, physical ergonomic for smaller hands support the 226 over the 92.. I'm not saying nothing but if you base if off of LE what the majority carries I'm going to guess and say more departments are Carrying SIGs vs. Berettas for X reason. Also, having a gun that uses direct gas impingement may not be the best rifle. I'm not arguing caliber because I believe whole heartily in the 5.56 however piston driven for you average ground pounder maybe less forgiving. If I had piles of money and easily could buy a Sabre, Wilson, LWRC, HK, or Noveske I would. However, for your every day joe that may not see the extent of combat as your average Navy Seal or SPEC OPs cost will always go to the lowest bidder to out fit the masses. Make me king/president for a day and I would out fit every body with what SOCOM demanded have everybody shooting GLOCKs and the best piston driven gun out there that had all the perks. But for those of us on a budget and still want to be effective (who don't use it to the extent a full blown operator will) Nothing wrong with a DPMS or a bargin bin rifle.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links