I Know, I Know -- but I didn't have one and...(photos)

This is a discussion on I Know, I Know -- but I didn't have one and...(photos) within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Cool, my buddy owns a original he got a few years ago. The cheap stamped steel sight works just fine for distance shooting. We were ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I Know, I Know -- but I didn't have one and...(photos)

Lead Moderator
    Cool, my buddy owns a original he got a few years ago. The cheap stamped steel sight works just fine for distance shooting. We were hitting a old ACP target at 300 yrds by using the ladder sight.
    virtually no recoil felt , but it sure is heavy.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    Exellent.

A few years ago I shot one that a Doctor had, it was full auto. He had loaded up several sticks with ammo, the bullets were reloads and he had used Bullseye powder as he was also an avid reloader.

We took turns firing at a B27 silhouette at 25 yards. It was awesome.

After firing a full mag, it was so smoky that you couldnt see the target. For smokless powder, it sure put out a bunch of smoke. It was fun though, making a bunch of holes in the target. I wish I could say that they were a tight little group, but they were holes in that target from one end to the other.

The single fire mode wasnt near as fun, but it was accurate enough if once you figured out the trigger. You just help a bit low and the the trigger was stought enough that it literally lifted the gun up. I think it was around 12 pounds or so.

Nice gun, Im sure you'll have a blast with it. Congrats !
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by flagflyfish View Post
    Nice!! Is the buttstock removable on that one?
    No. It would have been kind of handy to have the removable buttstock, but there is $400.00 difference in price for that single option. There was just no way for me to justify that much for so little.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    Nice. I would like to have one of these for the coolness factor.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

Way cool! No doggin ya here! I think that looks sweet!

And the finish on that walnut looks smooth as silk! Very pretty!

-Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

My ship just came in and I am on the hunt.

I am looking for the M1 variant of this... but its time has come!

Quote Originally Posted by cphilip View Post
    My ship just came in and I am on the hunt.

I am looking for the M1 variant of this... but its time has come!

Here Ya Go. Shows they have two in stock.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Just ordered one from Blain at Atlantic Firearms. He had one in stock and he has my FFL info already (so it was easy) and he gave me a decent price. Not a terrific price but decent. I just missed one I had been watching that went for $900! And it was just down the Road in Athens Ga too. But it sold out from under me.

I paid Blain $974 for one just now.

Those two are from $1136 to $1184 ... and they show 3 different sources now instead of two. Those are local places when you do a search. all of them requiring sales tax paid too. So not finding a deal close enough in price locally.

I could have paid about $150 less if I wanted to accept the "Light model" which is an Aluminum receiver version of it. But I decided I wanted Steel.

The one I wanted was the Steel reciever military spec one from about 1942 which became the standard. It does not take drums. It takes the 30 rounders. It also has the horizontal front grip not the Vertical. And no brake. Also in line with what the military finally wanted and went to in 1942. They decided the drums were too heavy and they rattled too much and the fore grip was too prone to breaking so they wanted that all changed for the Military specification one. Plus some of that stuff also cut costs. Good ole unka sam!

This would be the one:

But this one is fitting for my Military theme collection out of all of the variants. Most represents the majority of them used in WWII and there after. Earlier in the war they used what they could get.

The real problem now is that Magazines are $70 each! Ouch!

Quote Originally Posted by cphilip View Post
    ............I paid Blain $974 for one just now.

Those two are from $1136 to $1184 ... and they show 3 different sources now instead of two. Those are local places when you do a search. all of them requiring sales tax paid too. So not finding a deal close enough in price locally.

I could have paid about $150 less if I wanted to accept the "Light model" which is an Aluminum receiver version of it. But I decided I wanted Steel..............................

The real problem now is that Magazines are $70 each! Ouch!
    Here are a couple of alternatives for the magazines:

Sportsman's Guide

CDNN

The ones at Sportsman's Guide are listed as used military and the ones at CDNN are listed as GI Mag - New. As I understand it, all you have to do is elongate the mag catch hole upward a little to make them work with the semi-auto guns. I ordered one of the ones from Sportsman's Guide to play with and have received it but haven't had time to work with it yet. It doesn't appear that it's going to be terribly difficult. If it works out O.K., I'll probably order several of the ones from CDNN. The only reason I didn't order from them to begin with is that they have a one rate shipping cost (1 to 1000 items) of $$14.99. This made ordering just one very expensive but would not be bad if ordering several.

Congratulations on getting the one you wanted. I'd say you got a decent price. The best I could do from Davidson's through one of my local dealers on that gun would be $982.00 but would then still have sales tax which at about $77.00 would be much more than the shipping charges incurred having it shipped from an out of state dealer.

Don't blame you for wanting the steel receiver. Though I haven't been able to find any specific negative comments about the aluminum receivers, I have seen several ads on the auction/gun sights that are adamant about the one being sold having a steel receiver. Made me think there must be some negative to the aluminum receivers. Sure wouldn't have minded the 4# difference in weight though (compared to the weight of my model).

My shooting buddy bought one just like mine at the same time I did. While I haven't had a chance to get to the range with mine, he has with his. In the first 10 rounds (without disassembling the gun and cleaning it before shooting, which I have properly chastised him for) he had 50% failures to feed. He then brought it over to my house and we disassembled, cleaned and lubricated it and in his next outing, he fired over 200 rounds of various ammunition with only one failure to feed. It sounds like they may need a little "breaking in" to function correctly and they definitely need cleaned and lubed. Both his and mine were very dry from the factory.

Have fun.

Hoss

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Ironically, I just ordered four of the Sportsmans guide ones. I had a coupon for $10 off that almost covered the shipping. They also had a WWII repro sling I wanted so it worked out.

Heck, even the verbiage at the AO site (tommygun.com or something like that) sort of indicates theirs are "Military surplus" and will have to be altered too. And all that for $70 instead of SG's $18 so I figured I was just as well off saving the money and getting the cheap ones and making them work. One to screw up on and then perfect the alteration and then three to fill a pouch (plus the one comes with the gun, which will hopefully be my pattern to alter from).

Good info CV. I did toy with the idea of going with the Aluminum receiver but finaly backed out and mostly so as to be more "correct" (which might be a bit foolish since its not exactly correct anyway since it is Semi Auto). I couldn't find much negative about them either. I certainly could have enjoyed the weight savings I bet. The thing is that the M1 variant is a tad lighter anyway. But then again it has a couple of down sides that being no drum capability. Which, apparently, according to my research was, in fact, the same limitation the final 1942 military specification had as well. Something about the stock fixation or some such thing I do not quite understand eliminates that. But, the thing was I was committed to an example that fit the collection so the M1 was it.

I have the same firearm without the drum. I use in in pistol acliber carbine matches against AR's. It functions and holds it's own. The open sights do not stand a chance against the red dots but my gun functions and may coverted AR's do not. I found the the U cut in the charging handle is outsatnding for flash sight pictures. It's quicker and just as accurate as the notch part of the rear sight mechanism. I havoe over 5000 rounds thru the gun. only 2 miss feeds due to an old surplus mag. I learned how to adjust the lips and file the hole. Everything functions.
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

About a year ago a guy showed up at the range after a class I took, with one of those....he let me shoot about 10 rounds through it - NICE gun. Congrats!

I want one now.. :)

That thing is sweet.

Hello Al Capone.
    If our defense be the real object of having those arms, in whose hands can they be trusted with more propriety, or equal safety to us, as in our own hands? - Patrick Henry

I dont mean to sound selfish, but stop what you're doing and focus on me. - Janitor

Here are some historical reading for you if your interested

A brief history of Auto-Ordnance Corp.

The Price of Freedom: U.S. Thompson M1 Submachine Gun

and this one has a lot of good reading over on the left hand site index

The Unofficial Tommy Gun Page

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links