Request for AR carbine furniture ideas/thoughts

This is a discussion on Request for AR carbine furniture ideas/thoughts within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Sergeant Mac I found a picture of what I have in mind as far as the CQB sighting option: http://longrangeinternational.com/im..._class_047.jpg You want ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Request for AR carbine furniture ideas/thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by Sergeant Mac View Post
    I found a picture of what I have in mind as far as the CQB sighting option:

http://longrangeinternational.com/im..._class_047.jpg
    You want a Long Range optic for CQB applications ?
    Perhaps your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array Sergeant Mac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Skygod View Post
    You want a Long Range optic for CQB applications ?

Nope.

Long Range International offers TRAINING. I merely found that picture on their site, and posted a link to it here, to illustrate my idea.

If you look at the pic, you'll notice a small red dot sight attached to the receiver at about a 45-degree angle. THAT's for CQB sighting.

Nope.

Long Range International offers TRAINING. I merely found that picture on their site, and posted a link to it here, to illustrate my idea.

If you look at the pic, you'll notice a small red dot sight attached to the receiver at about a 45-degree angle. THAT's for CQB sighting.
    I didn't notice it, but it's not the first time it's been done. I actually witnessed a rifle with an ACOG on the reciever and an EOtech on a 45 degree mount up front of the acog. Strangest stuff I've seen, especially when there are so many other alternatives.

After looking at your link I now see what looks like a J-Point or Doctor. That's one way I guess, just not the most optimal in my opinion.

What distances do you actually think you'll ever fire a carbine rifle in an urban semi permissive envirenment ?

I'd think an Aimpoint would be just fine.

I am having this EXACT same dilemma right now! I have a Olympic Arms, Inc. - K3B-M4-A3-TC - M4 Tactical Carbine on layaway at the shop, and will pay it off very soon. I want something that can do distance, but also CQB. Let's keep this going, I would love to get some more ideas!
    EVIL PREVAILS WHEN GOOD MEN FAIL TO ACT.

For optics, have you considered using only the EOTech 557 AR223 for both CQB & long range? It has a built-in bullet drop reticle specifically for the .223 round which has red dots for 0-300 meters, 400 meters, 500 meters, and 600 meters.

You can also mount a magnifier behind it if you need one. (side mounted controls for ease of use if using a magnifier)

It's kind of pricey (MSRP $569) but you have one device that stays mounted and perfectly aligned and allows using the same solid cheek weld whether up close or out to distance. Less gadgets to come loose or otherwise spoil a shot and no extra mounts to buy, not to mention no extra clutter or weight mounted to your receiver. Also more streamlined and less stuff to snag on things when out in the field.

You can view the reticle at the link I provided.

They are durable with a combat proven reputation, parallax free, and the widest field of view of any red dot optic. (very important in the CQB scenario) I am currently saving my pennies for one to use on my AR.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I found a picture of what I have in mind as far as the CQB sighting option:

http://longrangeinternational.com/im..._class_047.jpg

Anyone know which rear stock that is in the photo?
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Looks like a Magpul PRS to me Bark'n, but I can't tell for sure.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Thanks Bro! I'll check it out!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    Anyone know which rear stock that is in the photo?
    Yes, he's correct. It is the Magpul.

Oddly enough I was just sent this by email from Bravo Company usa.com

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Danie...et%20mount.htm

Description:

The Daniel Defense 1 O’clock Offset Rail is optimized for mounting miniature red dot optics in the 1 O’clock (right-hand) or 11 O’clock (left-hand) positions for quick, non-magnified, transitions when employing magnified primary optics on AR-type rifles with MIL-STD-1913 rails. The geometry allows for zero cheek-weld shift during the transition. This facilitates very fast transitions from magnified to non-magnified optics, and back. The 1 O’clock Offset Rail can also be used to mount a variety of lights or other accessories that mount to a MIL-STD-1913 rail. By flipping the part upside-down, one can mount a light in a good position for use with a vertical foregrip.

All Daniel Defense Rails are built to the 1913 Military Specification and are 100% Quality Assurance checked for conformity to the specification.

Features
    Optimized for Miniature Red Dot Optics
    Zero Change in check weld for transitions
    Super Fast Transitons
    Adapatable for other uses
    Light weight
    Materials & Construction
    Precision CNC machined from Aircraft Grade 6061-T6 Aluminum and Military Specification Type III Hard Coat Anodized for a rock hard lasting finish. The 1 O’clock Offset Rail weighs only 1.2 Ounces.

Aircraft Grade 6061-T6 Aluminum
    Military Specification Type III Hard Coat Anodized
    1.2 Ounces!
    Made in the USA!
    Last edited by Skygod; August 5th, 2008 at 02:13 PM.

There are some guys over on M4Carbine.net using an ACOG as a primary/longer range optic and with an Aimpoint T1 Micro at a 45 degree offset. Looks like an interesting concept.

If what you want is an offset mount that will put a mini red dot on your long range scope, check out LaRue Tactical

Austin

http://www.ar15.com/lite/topic.html?b=3&f=124&t=318087
    Last edited by aus71383; August 5th, 2008 at 02:15 PM. Reason: add a link

Quote Originally Posted by Skygod View Post
    What distances do you actually think you'll ever fire a carbine rifle in an urban semi permissive envirenment ?

I'd think an Aimpoint would be just fine.
    Actually? With just a little luck, I'm hoping to NEVER fire it anywhere but a range.

BUT.....the longest continuous hallway in our high school is probably about 150 yards long, as are our city blocks.

I'd like the ability to get fast COM hits out to 75 yards, AND the ability to reliably put a round through the medulla from 100 yards.

Most red dot sights will do the former, but not the latter.

Actually? With just a little luck, I'm hoping to NEVER fire it anywhere but a range.

BUT.....the longest continuous hallway in our high school is probably about 150 yards long, as are our city blocks.

I'd like the ability to get fast COM hits out to 75 yards, AND the ability to reliably put a round through the medulla from 100 yards.

Most red dot sights will do the former, but not the latter.
    100 yards is a long shot in my opinion on the fly, unsupported, to take a surgical hit to the medulla. If your dialed in with variable power scope in supported prone position with a Bi Pod then it's possible, but it's rare that I would see that shot being anything but COM if your doing the "Groucho Walk" down a school hallway. Just something to think about, and how much actical and practical instruction your department has on surgical accuracy out to 100 meters/yards.

There is some bullet drop at 100 meters and unless your a jedi with a Mil Spec barrel and chamber, I'd stick with COM shots and hit em several times. If he doesn't fall, then you know your Tango is sporting body armor. Follow up with head shot.

I don't think this is a gadget question as much as an proficiency question with what you've just said.

For precision, I am in fact talking about going with a bipod from the prone.

Update: a YHM 12" quad rail free float forearm and low profile gas block have been installed.....as has a B-Square mount holding a 6-24X42 illuminate reticle scope. The scope will be zeroed at 100 yards, and I intend to keep track of the necessary adjustments for 50, 150, 200, and 300 (the last 2 mainly for coyote/prairie dog purposes)

YHM makes a 45 degree adapter, that you could use to mount a Micro T-1 on if you wanted to step up to that option. On the same path, but not out yet to my knowledge over at Tactical Night Vision Home Page they have a mount that will hold both the Micro T-1 and your flashlight, as well as a small rail that will fit around your scope. Personally I have to say that any kind of adapter for housing your red dot is going to cause you a lot more range time, as you are going to have to retrain yourself in their use all over again, as you are now pretty much required to can't your weapon to the side. The same is true to some degree with top mounted red dots on scopes/ACOGs as the tend to sit VERY high, and depending on your size, you may end up having to bring your cheek off stock in order to be able to use them. After a few months downrange I ended up ordering the 4x multiplier from EoTech to sit behind my issued Eotech, and for me this was the easiest way to go. Outdoors, where our normal engagement range may be 50-250 meters I'll keep the multiplier inline, and when we start entering buildings for searches, I can just flip it off to the side, and get back on my normal red dot without having to go through a whole different shooting mechanic between near and far range targets. As for most of the sights out there that can be used for dual purpose, like the ELCAN's be aware that you may run into issues in finding the eye relief. A few guys on my team attempted to use them for CQB in the 1 mode, and just had too much of a problem finding the dot and seaching for proper head positioning away from the sight. But to each his own.

I can help on a couple points....

Here is mine.....

I really like the Magpul stock. The lock takes away all rattles and locks up toght, and releases with just the normal release......

On the light....

I used a 4 rail gas block. I put a fold down YHM front sight, a Insight M3 light that my thumb can work the switch with out have to repostion my hand any and a green laser on the bottom, with grip switch on the right side of the hand guard. Works very well for me.

1942 M3 Autocar Half-track...M3A1 Diamond T Half-track...57mm Anti-Tank Cannon

NRA Endowment Member...President West TN Military Vehicle Collectors...MVPA Member

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links