Request for AR carbine furniture ideas/thoughts

This is a discussion on Request for AR carbine furniture ideas/thoughts within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Yesterday, just on a lark, I bought a pair of high scope mounting rings, mounted them on my AR carbine's flat-top, attached a cheap Simmons ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Request for AR carbine furniture ideas/thoughts

Senior Member Array Sergeant Mac's Avatar

Request for AR carbine furniture ideas/thoughts

Yesterday, just on a lark, I bought a pair of high scope mounting rings, mounted them on my AR carbine's flat-top, attached a cheap Simmons 3-9 scope (pulled off my 10/22) and headed to the range.

I was fairly impressed, BUT.....

- I'd like to try a more powerful scope, in the 6-24 or so range, and I'm almost certain that the front end of the scope would not clear the front sight post

- I'd still like to have a close/intermediate range sighting option

- I'd like to mount a bipod, but have it closer to the muzzle, and I'd also like to be able to mount a flashlight

- I found that the stock Colt collapsible stock is not to my liking for use with a scope, because it doesn't extend down far enough for solid contact with the shoulder. It also rattles, moving around more than I think is optimal.

I'm CONSIDERING a YHM Specter RIFLE-length free-float kit, which would replace the front sight post with a small gas block which would be covered by the forearm. The forearm would extend to within just a few inches of the muzzle.

I'm CONSIDERING mounting a small red-dot sight (of the type typically found on pistols) on a 45-degree offset mount on the top of the receiver, with the sight offset to the right.

I'm CONSIDERING a MagPul stock.

Anyone done this already, or have input?

Example of red-dot sight:
    Attached Images

2. Remove Ads

Basically, my goal is to have a do-it-all carbine -- capable of great precision at up to 300 yards while still capable of fast and accurate CQB use.

I found that the stock Colt collapsible stock is not to my liking for use with a scope, because it doesn't extend down far enough for solid contact with the shoulder. It also rattles, moving around more than I think is optimal.

If I were trying to make a long range AR with a collapsible stock, I'd probably look at the Command Arms. I may be wrong, but if the MagPul stock you are thinking of is this one, you'd lose your collapsible stock option. I don't believe MagPul has an adjustable stock in a collapsible form. Again, I could be wrong.

I'm CONSIDERING a YHM Specter RIFLE-length free-float kit, which would replace the front sight post with a small gas block which would be covered by the forearm. The forearm would extend to within just a few inches of the muzzle.

I put one of the YHM Carbine Forearms (not free floating) on my new carbine. Quality is outstanding. If you install the one you are talking about, it will solve your problem of the scope hitting the front sight.

I'd like to try a more powerful scope, in the 6-24 or so range, and I'm almost certain that the front end of the scope would not clear the front sight post

From what I can see, most 3X9 Simmons scopes are about 12" in length. Depending on how much space you have available, there are some high power variable scope models (Leupold, Zeiss, Nikon) that are just over 14" in length though they are not cheap.

I'd like to mount a bipod, but have it closer to the muzzle, and I'd also like to be able to mount a flashlight

This may work for your bipod, however, I'm old school and don't particularly care for bracing the barrel of the firearm on a solid object.
    John Masen Bipod Heavy Duty Universal

It's your rifle, so you set it up how you like it, but if it were mine, I'd mount one of these and then put detachable Leupold rings on my long range scope and a good red dot scope. I would leave it set up with the red dot in the normal aiming position as a close quarters encounter won't allow time to reposition. If you were going to be doing a lot of long range shooting, you could just switch them out. With the tri-rail adapter, you could even keep whichever one you weren't using mounted on the left side and available for a quick change out if you wanted.

While I think it's possible to have a "do-all" rifle, I'm not sure that it's practical to have it constantly set up to "do-all" on a moments notice. No matter what, it's always fun getting one set up how you like. Just wish it wasn't so darn expensive.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Quote Originally Posted by Sergeant Mac View Post
    Yesterday, just on a lark, I bought a pair of high scope mounting rings, mounted them on my AR carbine's flat-top, attached a cheap Simmons 3-9 scope (pulled off my 10/22) and headed to the range.

I was fairly impressed, BUT.....

- I'd like to try a more powerful scope, in the 6-24 or so range, and I'm almost certain that the front end of the scope would not clear the front sight post

- I'd still like to have a close/intermediate range sighting option

- I'd like to mount a bipod, but have it closer to the muzzle, and I'd also like to be able to mount a flashlight

- I found that the stock Colt collapsible stock is not to my liking for use with a scope, because it doesn't extend down far enough for solid contact with the shoulder. It also rattles, moving around more than I think is optimal.

I'm CONSIDERING mounting a small red-dot sight (of the type typically found on pistols) on a 45-degree offset mount on the top of the receiver, with the sight offset to the right.

I'm CONSIDERING a MagPul stock.

Anyone done this already, or have input?

Example of red-dot sight:
    Sarge,

I am a huge fan of the Aimpoint line of optics. Since this sounds like your solution to CQB, I can't say enough good about them. Pricey, and worth it.

Magpul makes some cool stuff. ATI has a new AR stock out, and a really comfy pistolgrip, cheekweld and forend. The tolerance on the ATI stuff is coming along, and I think you'd be saving a bundle with their 6-position collapsible and still get a great product (remember, I no longer work for ATI, so I'm not tooting my own horn). Vltor also makes some very nice stocks.

Finally, you can't go wrong with replacing the forend with a Picatinny quad rail (then you can mount that light/laser, whatever). Most blackrifle mfg. companies offer these.

Oh, and check out the Grip Pod by CAA. I like a vertical grip on the forend, plus it has a James Bond-ish feature of having the bipod shoot out the bottom of the grip with the push of a button. Pretty cool, and you can mount that in just the right spot.

OH...another thing. Check out Doublestar...they're from here in KY and will custom build in just days. GREAT company!!!
    A man in the hands of his enemies is flesh, and shudderingly vulnerable. - author unknown

Basically, my goal is to have a do-it-all carbine -- capable of great precision at up to 300 yards while still capable of fast and accurate CQB use.
    On my budget, it's a compromise, or what I'm doing with the M4. At the house, mine has the carry handle attached and red-dot mounted on top...this also let's me use the open sights if need be, I have the green laser attached, and the M3 flashlight on the handguard as well..both with pressure switches to activate. If I'm going to the range and anticipate anything over 100yds, I'll remove the handle and use the flat top and mount my Simmons 4-12x32 BDC AO ballistic calibrated elevation turret scope on a cheap ole Famous Maker brand cheapo riser. It's quick on/off, works good, and it's all I need. If you have a carbine length factory handguard, I can send you the attachment I used for my bipod. Since I got the UBG quad rail (another excellent cheapo), I'm looking for a rail/sling swivel attachment so I can use the bipod again when I want to. As far as having all of those things on a flat top only carbine....I couldn't tell you where to turn, but I'm sure there will be plenty of suggestions, and it most likely will hit you in the wallet! I'm just a hick country boy that can survive....I'm not getting residual income like the internet says is possible. My funds are limited.

The YHM Specter kit is a free-float quad rail system. That would provide me with attachment points, AND keep the bipod out of contact with the barrel.

I'm looking for a solution which allows BOTH a powerful scope AND a CQB sighting system to be on the gun at the same time.

For the MagPul stock, I was looking at their UBR.

I'm mostly fishing for ideas here, mainly from people who have tried what I have in mind and know from their own experience what works and, just as importantly, what DOESN'T work.

Thanks to those who have responded so far, and thanks in advance for those who will respond in the future.

Lead Moderator
    Aimpoint and magnifier is the only solution I can think of to put both magnification and CQB optics on at the same time. I haven't tried it , but understand the US Army has.
    Maybe check out AR15.com for more ideas or people that have certian systems.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I would look at the Nightforce NXS 2.5x-10x21 scope with a LaRue Tactical SPR mount. You could just go for the ACOG with a Doctor or J Point mounted on the top of the ACOG. Then you've got a 4x and your close in optic. That's one solution but personally I like the Nightforce or Trijicon Accupoint on a LaRue Tactical SPR mount.

As for the rail system, take your pic. What length is your gas system ? A LaRue Tactical 12" rail with a low profile gas block is about the best you can get.

Use some Troy or Midwest rear and front flip up irons on the rail system. You could use the 600 meter Matech rear sight also. Good stuff.

LaRue Tactical
    Perhaps your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    Aimpoint and magnifier is the only solution I can think of to put both magnification and CQB optics on at the same time. I haven't tried it , but understand the US Army has.
    Maybe check out AR15.com for more ideas or people that have certian systems.
    I have this set up on one of my AR's. Although I use the LaRue pivot mount for the magnifier and it's about as good as it gets for having both a intermediate range capable and close combat capable optics.

Just move the magnifier over to the right of the Aimpoint red dot and your back to close shooting. LaRue Tactical has just about anything you can dream of for your shooting solutions with an AR15 rifle.
    Perhaps your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Skygod View Post
    I use the LaRue pivot mount for the magnifier and it's about as good as it gets for having both a intermediate range capable and close combat capable optics.

Just move the magnifier over to the right of the Aimpoint red dot and your back to close shooting. LaRue Tactical has just about anything you can dream of for your shooting solutions with an AR15 rifle.
    Got to go a +1 on this.

Go to LaRue Tactical click the upper right "Enter" block, and the picture you see has an Aimpoint M4 red dot with the Aimpoint 3X mounted behind it.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

I have put a few rounds through an SPR~ish rifle with this set-up:

Burris Riflescope XTR 3X-12X-50mm & LaRue Tactical LT104-30 QD Mount
    +
    LaRue Tactical J-Point / Dr. Optics / FastFire Attachment LT-137
    +
    Docter Red Dot Sight 4th Gen 7 MOA Red-Dot Scopes 55711 FREE SHIPPING Compact Red Dot Scope

I did not get to use the red dot, a guy over on the 200 yard lanes let me shoot it in exchange for some ammo. It was a tack-driver of the most jealousy inducing kind. It also looked like he had to shim his red dot up a bit in order to clear the front bell.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Leupold makes a scope, which I believe is 2X12 (although I'm gonna have to go looking to find it), which has a red dot option, so for CQB you set it to 2X with the dot on, and then for distance you turn off the dot and go to 12. As far as flashlights, you could side mount it, where you can still hit it with your thumb on the off hand, especially if using a vertical foregrip.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

BAC
    First thing that comes to mind are the short dots from Schmidt Bender, but those are anything but cheap.

-B

I found a picture of what I have in mind as far as the CQB sighting option:

http://longrangeinternational.com/im..._class_047.jpg

I found a picture of what I have in mind as far as the CQB sighting option:

http://longrangeinternational.com/im..._class_047.jpg
    That looks like a Matt Burkett (sp?) offset j-point mount. I'll see what I can dig up...

ETA: Here it is: http://www.jprifles.com/buy.php?item=MB-JPA

Out of stock...
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links