Romanian PSL 54C scope questions

This is a discussion on Romanian PSL 54C scope questions within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'll throw this one out there to see if anyone has any input. Last weekend I got a chance to shoot a Romanain PSL -54C ...

Thread: Romanian PSL 54C scope questions

Romanian PSL 54C scope questions

I'll throw this one out there to see if anyone has any input.

Last weekend I got a chance to shoot a Romanain PSL -54C (Drugnov SVD clone in 7.62x54R), which has what I'm guessing is a knock off of the Russian PSO-1. Rifle was a blast to shoot (literally), but I found that at under 100 yards one might as well use the irons, because I honestly couldn't figure out the optic. I assumed that the chevron in the middle of the reticle was the one for closest range (just like an ACOG). But I have no idea what it is supposed to be zeroed to, or what the weird "swoosh" on the left of the reticle is (maybe it shows bullet drop)? So, if anyone has experience with these weapons and scopes, or knows of a good user's manual for them I would be appreciative if you would share.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

2. Remove Ads

The center (top) chevron is usually for aiming. The top knob on the scope compensates for drop.... 100-800meters (IIRC). At 800m use the top chevron. Since you have no more adjustment for 900m, move down a chevron. Same for 1000m.

The vertical graduations to either side are 4MOA apart. You can use that to estimate distance or lead.

The swoosh is a rangefinder of sorts. To the right and below the swoosh it should say "1.7" or "2" or something like that. That number is the height in meters of a typical target. For example, say yous says '1.7' and you are hunting a buck that you estimate to be 1.7m tall at the shoulder. Now place the buck on the flat line below the swoosh, and move him left to right until his shoulder is touching the swoosh. Read the number over the buck's shoulder. If the number is "4" then the buck is at 400m. Turn the top dial to "4" and aim with the top chevron.

I swear it is the most complicated scope ever, but it's kinda cool

It is a cool scope, thankfully with my one year of russian I could figure out which way to turn the knobs for the proper direction.

I'm used to ACOG's and more traditional scopes, I was trying to figure the thing out but it always shot high at 100 yards (the longest range I had available for the day)

Thanks Shizzlemah
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

To sight it in, dial it to "1" for 100 meters and see where it hits. Slightly loosen the two little screws in the top knob, rotate the barrel but leave the graduated dial at 1.

Be sure that you barely loosen those screws- just enough to turn the barrel independantly of the graduated dial. Too far back on those screws and....... SPROING!!!!!!

Ok, I set it on 1, but it was still hitting about a foot high at 100 yards from the bench. Next time I get to play with it I'll work with the screws some.

The rifle is awesome to shoot though.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Links