INFO on OLYARMS 9mm AR?

This is a discussion on INFO on OLYARMS 9mm AR? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; It was fun working on it. I use "SKILLS" I have not used in years. Well imho you have the right rifle then lol . ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: INFO on OLYARMS 9mm AR?

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    It was fun working on it. I use "SKILLS" I have not used in years.
    Well imho you have the right rifle then lol . Oly has a spotty reputation both on customer service and on the actual quality of parts used . Not to throw rocks at your rifle , but you paid little , and got little . Most of the folk i know that go the " pistol ctg" AR build their own , and it looks like you will before its over . One suggestion ill make is that as a rule " pistol powders " are dirtier than rifle powders , so possibly you need to look at the powder your ammo is loaded with and choose a cleaner burning brand , or go to reloads with a " clean " powder for a " cheap " fix . Other than that ill speculate that you are a victim of " tolerance stack " where every part falls within tolerances, but the way the tolerances work with each other ( one being on the minus side and another on the plus side ) you get a rifle that is sensitive to fouling . You mentioned your dad was a toolmaker so query him on the concept as needed lol . If you want a quick fix ( and since you have apparently fixed the " lower " issues i would suggest that you " gut " the upper and replace the entire BCG with one of known quality and dementions ( yea just what you wanted to hear lol ) . While your at that go ahead and " mic out " the upper to make sure its both in the middle of " tolerance " and true ( you can peer thro it and it looks fine to the eye , but in fact it can be cut " offset " where the bolt has to cam into lock creating a problem, a proper reciever is cut square along the axis and for the record a receiver that out of spec would be uncommon but not unheard of ) . In Oly's defense they are getting much better than they used to be , but that brand is still not on my short list of ars ill buy ( its gotta be a heck of a deal for me to get one , and its not going to be a keeper if i do ) . I suggest you look at it this way , You have a lower setup to take glock mags , and the upper is the non registered part(s), its a great starting point .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

2. Remove Ads

Yes, I knew OLY was / is not the "BEST" before I bought it. It was priced right and it's a fun project. I'm 61, my Dad has passed, I'll ask but I'm not expecting a reply to my question to him. or further skill training. But who knows - it has happened in the movies.
    I know pistol ammo is dirty and all I shoot is factory. I do not bend anymore (accident) to pick up brass. Buying factory is cheaped than a Hospital stay and easier than PT recovery. I will try other brands.
    The bolt it's self is within (mid) tolerance and the upper is OK. The issue I am having is carbon and powder build up (significant) in and around the extractor to the point it is impeding the extractor movement. I'm not sure if it is holding the spent case too long or not grabing it enought. This starts after about 700 rounds (about 500 last trip and 200 this trip) and will stop with a few drops of breakfree and a little movement. I don't think it's a "scrap the upper issue". There has to be a simple answer other than clean it every 300 rounds. Or maybe that is the answer. Everything else appears to be ok from what I can see or measure. Is there anything I can do to the extractor? The spring? the fit?
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

Mo
    Just a note on shipping - USPS allows a non-licensee to send a long gun to a licensee (FFL holder). I don't know if your state has restrictions, but the Feds are fine with it.

May be something to keep in mind the next time you need to ship a rifle. I shipped an AR cross-country for $28 total, registered and insured.

It was Sat afternoon. PO closed - Fed Ex store out of business - UPS store was accross the street. BIG MISTAKE - I'm a little slow and not too bright but I learned a leason.
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

I think you could also ship it at a UPS hub, but some stores are restrictive as to what they will ship.

Yes - they told me to go to the HUB - about 30 miles away. I have learned more about AR's and had a lot of fun by doing it myself. I just need some help / info on this one last issue. The failure to eject after a couple of hundred rounds. Any ideas?

First I would like to thank everyone who tried to help and offered possibles fixes.
    After much reading, experimenting and talking, I think I understand the issue and the fix. The Olyarms blowback design does not require an extractor to extract a fired case. It is only used to extract UNFIRED cases. Therfore, the extractor can not be the problem. Sometime is impeding the case/ bolt just enough so the spent case is not hitting the ejector spring but still allowing the bolt to go back far enough that a new round is loaded ahead of the spent case. That's the issue. I checked the chamber, the upper and the bolt for roughness/ burrs. None found. This basiclly leaves the amount of pressure from the ammo. I consistently used WW white box. I have about 13000 rounds still in inventory. It appears that I have at least 7 different lots. After talking to some friends, I learned (I think correctly) that WW outsources their lower end stuff to low bidders. I sampled different lots - measured and examined the taper crimp, pulled the bullets, examined the powder and weighted the powder.
    There appears to be different powders used and different weights. The crimp differs ( measured diamiter and pull weight).

These variations appear to change the pressure / ft/sec of the different lots. After examining my notes, I noted that the issues fell in blocks of around 50 and around 100. I could run up to 350, then isuues for about a box or 2. Then no issues - etc. I also noted there was more blowback of unburnt powder felt on my face when there were issues.
    I cleaned the weapon and proceeded to fire 650 rounds of Remington 115gr FMJ with no failures to eject and much less felt blowback on my face. Plus the gun was cleaner. I am a left handed shooter and the port is directly in front of my face.
    The WW white box ammo "appears" to be the real problem!
    It appears that the carbine is more sensitive than my Glocks as I have not experienced this issue with well over 30000 rounds of WW over the last few years. I had noticed there was more unburnt powder and carbon at times but it never caused any function issues. (Glocks can function shooting crap!!!)

So my UN_QUALIFIED opinion is that the Olyarms takes effort and work to get functioning but the design appear OK. I don't know the life span but I will find out. It will be a fun game gun for pistol cal carbine matches ( better that the Thompson I am currently using) I like the glock mags - it's easy to work on but there are not many people that know anything about OLY pistol carbines or if they do, they were not sharing.
    You get what you pay for and sometimes you get more. I think I got more this time. I got a gun, it now works, it's fun, I now know more than I did before, I have new skills and I know there are not too many knowledge Olyarms individuals and very few with 1st hand experience.

Again, I thank everyone who tried to help and educate me. It was a GREAT learning experience. I hope my ramblings have added value to current and future blowback carbine owners.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links