INFO on OLYARMS 9mm AR?

INFO on OLYARMS 9mm AR?

This is a discussion on INFO on OLYARMS 9mm AR? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Does anyone have any experience with OLYARMS 9mm AR that uses Glock Mags? I just got one on a bargin price. Never saw one before ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: INFO on OLYARMS 9mm AR?

INFO on OLYARMS 9mm AR?

Does anyone have any experience with OLYARMS 9mm AR that uses Glock Mags? I just got one on a bargin price. Never saw one before and have found no one who has had direct experience - just hearsay. Only put about 450 rounds thru it. It starts to fail to eject after about 150 rounds. After a good cleaning it works well for another 150. It accumulated brass chips and a lot of unburnt powder. I get a small amount of blow back on each shot (left handed) - it's a blowback action and throws crap out on ejection.
    Any info or experiences would be appreciated.
    Last edited by paul45; July 29th, 2008 at 08:38 PM. Reason: spelling
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

That might be why it'a a bargain,I personally have no experience with the 9mm ar platform,you shouldn't be getting brass chips,maybe some powder,you may try some different ammo if your shooting the cheapest stuff you can buy the powder may be a lot dirtier burning
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    That might be why it'a a bargain,I personally have no experience with the 9mm ar platform,you shouldn't be getting brass chips,maybe some powder,you may try some different ammo if your shooting the cheapest stuff you can buy the powder may be a lot dirtier burning
    The amount of brass is about the same that I get in my 9mm glocks (26,19,17 & 34). Same ammo - WW white box value pack. I get unburnt powder in my other 9mm's. I am just looking for any personal experience with the firearm. Problems, likes, dislikes, issues, wear, etc.
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

Range up date - after a good cleaning I put 300 round thru it. I had no failures. It got dirty and had some case brass but it functioned. I am going to try another 200 rounds before I clean it. It appears to have broken in. It is accurate out to 50yds (furthest i have shot it). It will cycle as fast as I can pull the trigger. The 30+ round Glock mags work great along with the 17 rounders. It's easy to clean, fast handleing and accurate. I have a low cost red dot on it for now.
    So far so good. I keep this up-dated for longer term durability. Put on an ERGO grip and a CAA cheek piece for better fit.

RANGE UP-DATE

Put another 300 rounds thru it today - no failure. Total of 600 rounds since the last cleaning. It's real dirty but it worked. I am going to clean it tonight. Accuracy was OK - about 2 to 2 1/2 inches at 50 yards with a red dot 4MOA. Used G26, G19, G17 and Glock 33 rounders. Everything worked. Going to install an ambi safety, I'm left handed - it will make life easier and safer.
    The mag release is different but it works. So far, so good. Not a bad fun gun!

I would highly suggest you go to www.OA2.org. It is the official Olympic Arms owners forum. Lots of resources there!
    EVIL PREVAILS WHEN GOOD MEN FAIL TO ACT.

Been there. It's a OLYARMS site - I would like some independent views from people who are not leaning toward any brand.

Quote Originally Posted by paul45 View Post
    Been there. It's a OLYARMS site - I would like some independent views from people who are not leaning toward any brand.
    Ah. Gotcha. Well, sorry but I am no help then.
    EVIL PREVAILS WHEN GOOD MEN FAIL TO ACT.

It broke!

The 9mm Olyarms carbine broke this weekend. It started off clean and lubed. 1st two 10 round mags shot OK. 1st 33 rounder, I had difficultly chambering a round. Then it started to fail to eject. Then it stated to fail to fire. I could not pull the bolt back so I had to pull off the upper. The disconnect was just laying there. It appears that the pin broke. I checked the hammer pin. It too was broken and staring to back out on one side.
    I have called Olyarms and I am waiting for a return call.
    MAJOR DISAPPOINTMENT!

Called Olyarms - got ahold of Andy on the 2nd try - no one returned my 1st call.
    I am not feeling too good about the future experience. They did not sound surprised about the major failures.
    I'll keep you up-dated.

Just shipped it back via UPS. They charged me $122 from VA to WA. I could have bought a custom trigger group and new pins for that amount. Now I am upset. It cost more for a warranty return that an up-grade.

NOW FOR THE REST OF THE STORY:

The UPS store called back and told me to pick up my gun. They will not ship it. I will have to go to Roanoke ~ 30 miles away, to ship it at the local center. Rules - but they appeared happy about it.
    I ordered the pins from Brownell and installed them last week. That fixed the trigger issues. However, it continued to fail to eject after about 100 or so rounds, I lubed it and it worked for another 50 or so and then started to fail to eject. I went home, cleaned the weapon and then polished and stoned every rough spot / tool mark on BCG plus anything that came in contact with it. I also played with the ejector spring angle. Went to the range and put eight 33 round mags thru it - NO FAILURES. Two other problems - the bolt started to not stay open after the last round and it is difficult to pull the charge handle with the bolt forward and the hammer down with a mag in . I took a file to the transfer bar on the bolt release and thinned it out and then put a drop of blue locktite on the screw. The bushing was not thick enought and the bar was binding when tight plus the screw was backing out at time. It's fixed. I think the difficult pull on the charging handle is due to the design of the bolt release. I will play with it during the week. Also the castle nut on the stock was loose - not staked. Fixed it. Went back to the range, the bolt hold back worked on eight mags. So I now have over 500 rounds thru the gun without a failure to eject, the bolt stop works and it is fairly accurate. Need to work on the charge handle issue. I wish the factory could fix these small issues before they ship this crap. It cost me $15 plus a few hours of fun time playing with the internal parts. But I now have a fun gun that appears to function. Time will tell. I'll let you know what I find out about the pull on the charge handle.
    If anyone has any ideas, I wiuld appreciate the input.

Administrator

Thumbs up

Sounds like you are decently common-sense talented working on firearms.
    Glad that you finally got it functioning.

Usually what happens with firearms that have even one or two parts not factory fit correctly.

Something initially is not quite right and that puts more stress and strain on other parts and then those parts tend to fail as a direct result.

Looks like you solved the original problem and hopefully it will function fine for you from this point forward.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

It was fun working on it. I use "SKILLS" I have not used in years. My Dad was a tool and Die maker and I built drag cars and bikes back in the 60's early 70's before I had kids and got an education. It's still nice to have those skills (and fun).
    I forgot to mention one thing - The castle nut on the tube was on backwards. It is the mag and the bolt release set up that is causing the hard charge handle pull - not sure how to fix it yet but I'll get.

Fiured out the hard pull on the charge handle. The bolt is 2 part. The was a ridge that was grabing the mouth of the case in the mag on the pull back. A little file work and polishing has fixed that. It is working very smooth.
    Went to the range yesterday. put another 350+ rounds thru it. The bolt hold back issue can back after a few hundred shots. The blue locktite on the screw that holds the bar let go. I will use red. That should fix the issue
    It functioned perfect up to about 200 rounds, then the failure to eject came back. After a few times, I removed and examined the bolt face and extractor. There was a large amount of unburnt powder and carbon build up in and around the extractor. A few drops of BreakFree and working the extractor fixed the issue for the remainer of the rounds.
    Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions on what to do to fix / eliminate this issue? I have been using WW white box value pack but have not tried other brand yet. The brands have not made any significant differnce in my handgun on funxctioning but who knows with this thing.
    I would appreciate any input.
    Thanks
    Paul

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links