MY rifle thread

MY rifle thread

This is a discussion on MY rifle thread within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am not really hooked on rifles...never was. Shot rifles when I was a kid, military etc. I love shooting pistols I am an active ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MY rifle thread

Talking MY rifle thread

I am not really hooked on rifles...never was. Shot rifles when I was a kid, military etc.
    I love shooting pistols I am an active competition shooter.
    The reason why I want a rifle cause it looks like Barrack Osama or Hitlery Clinton is coming. You know bans shtf etc. everybody is buying rifles now.
    Not planning to shoot three gun with it so it doesn't have to be an AR.
    But AR's are just so sexy. Respect the 7.62 round (AK) and they tend to be more reliable.
    Semi auto shotguns could be used as a home defence weapon also.
    (BTW who sells some nice semi auto shotguns. Benelli is for LEO's only.) But I think I just stick to my .45 easier to maneuver with it in an apartment and it's close by....rifle would be in the safe I bet.

So my future rifle wouldn't be a HD weapon more like like a shtf rifle.
    I live in a city and over penetration with rifle calibers would be an issue I think.
    I don't hunt and won't either. No need for a hunting rifle.
    Basically I am looking the have something if a riot (like LA) or Katrina like aftermath happens.
    I don't really look at pistol caliber rifles, I just don't see the point....my 1911 with a 10 round mag (10+1) is a formidable firepower.

If you Guys have anything to add this thread....I would appreciate it.
    I carry a gun cause I can't carry a cop.

In a SHTF scenario over penetration will be the least of your worrys,Best thing to look for would be availability of ammo and spare parts,Also benelli shotguns aren't for LE only
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

So my future rifle wouldn't be a HD weapon more like like a shtf rifle.
    I live in a city and over penetration with rifle calibers would be an issue I think.
    For me, a true SHTF rifle and over-penetration would be a non-issue. Those two terms kind of cancel each other out if you follow me. Either the AR-15 or the AK would be a must have for those situations. That's why I have both, and it would be a flip of the coin to see which one I'd pick up first, but it might very well be the 7.62x39.

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    In a SHTF scenario over penetration will be the least of your worrys,Best thing to look for would be availability of ammo and spare parts,Also benelli shotguns aren't for LE only
    When I was saying over penetration I was thinking about HD rifles. My bad.
    On the Benelli website it says for Law Enforcement only <--- the semi auto shotguns.
    Yeah ammo availability is a good one. So basically a 223 - 5.56 would be a better option? (Did I just say AR15? )

Well in a shtf scenario I think a 7.62 would be putting down things like no tomorrow. I can't picture somebody staying in a fight after taking a (few) hit by 7.62's
    I wouldn't go bear hunting with 223 tho.
    Anyways let's not to turn this to a 223 vs 7.62 thread.

What can do a shotgun in longer distances?
    Yeah I am clueless about rifles, shotguns.
    I have been reading all these AR AK threads...but still could't come up with the solution...
    I carry a gun cause I can't carry a cop.

Anyways let's not to turn this to a 223 vs 7.62 thread.
    I wouldn't ever think of that. Again...that's why I have both.

The only reason a Benelli shotgun would be LE only is if it is a short barreled shotgun under 18" but a civilian could still posess it if he wanted to pay 200 for a tax stamp and the paperwork
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

A shotgun, in reality, has an effictive range around 50 yds. That range can be slightly extended with quality slugs, but I tend to stick with buckshot. It's an excellent HD/riot/SHTF firearm.

As for rifles, I stick with 7.62/.308 or better calibers. After Katrina I got to sit and talk with my dad and some of the neighbors. Some of the lessons learned involved having the bigger bore rifles availiable during the immediate aftermath
    ......... the various ".22" calibers were good but if the "really bad stuff" started coming thier way, it was shotty's and '30 calibers' that would have been utilized. Overpenatration wasn't even thought about. I still wouldn't knock the 223 and if I have my way I'll have a few more before January. I'd feel pretty good about having either one and Ammo availability would be a concern for an extended "lights out" period.

An AK would be a good long gun
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

VIP Member
    I havenít heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

Quote Originally Posted by TheHun View Post
    On the Benelli website it says for Law Enforcement only <--- the semi auto shotguns...
    You must have hit their LE only section. Try here for their semi offerings. This one's mine.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Senior Moderator
    In a true SHTF scenario, penetration is your friend.

Forget everything you ever learned about over penetration and use it to your advantage.

Badguy in the next room? Shoot through the walls.
    Its one of the reasons that our troops are issued FMJ bullets.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Forgot -- for the rifle, I'd suggest the AR platform. Not only are there tons of choices, ammo is readily available and I believe they are the MOST customizable defensive rifle platform available. I have one Colt H-BAR (currently wearing a DPMS upper) and one DPMS carbine. They have all been extremely reliable and surprisingly accurate. While you may not be looking for a hunting rifle, in a prolonged SHTF scenario, hunting may become a necessity. The 223 round is excellent for head shots on small game and with bullet weights available ranging from 40 grains to 80+ grains, I have no doubt that it would be capable of deer sized game with proper shot placement (though it would not be my choice for a strictly hunting rifle). Currently, high cap magazines are readily available and not overly expensive. A plus in preparing for a worst case scenario. My personal choices for SHTF weapons in order of importance is:

Shotgun -- with varying ammunition, can do everything except extreme long range. Only real disadvantage is size and weight of ammunition limits number of rounds you can carry at any one time.

Handguns -- semi auto primary, revolver back-up -- close quarters defense

Semi Auto Hi-Cap rifle in rifle caliber -- defense (both close range and long range), hunting

Semi Auto rifle in pistol caliber -- to match caliber of handgun. More precise aiming for greater distance than pistol alone plus shared ammunition with handgun.

Bolt Action rifle in large caliber -- big game hunting and extreme long range defense.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

I'm no real fan of the .223 but will say that many deer are successfully taken with the .223 annually here in Texas. I've been running some ranch roads with the ranch's owner lately on the look-out for feral hogs which have overrun him. He takes most of the hogs with a scoped Ruger Mini-14 in .223. He's shooting hogs with M193 ball and its 55 grain fmj bullet. While it's still too light for reliable use with the body hits he takes, the .223 does work better than I'd have given given it credit for.

It's still not great hog medicine. The rancher has a Winchester Model 100 in .308 which has been 100% successful when he employs it.

Quote Originally Posted by goldshellback View Post
    A shotgun, in reality, has an effictive range around 50 yds. That range can be slightly extended with quality slugs, but I tend to stick with buckshot. It's an excellent HD/riot/SHTF firearm.

As for rifles, I stick with 7.62/.308 or better calibers. After Katrina I got to sit and talk with my dad and some of the neighbors. Some of the lessons learned involved having the bigger bore rifles availiable during the immediate aftermath
    ......... the various ".22" calibers were good but if the "really bad stuff" started coming thier way, it was shotty's and '30 calibers' that would have been utilized. Overpenatration wasn't even thought about. I still wouldn't knock the 223 and if I have my way I'll have a few more before January. I'd feel pretty good about having either one and Ammo availability would be a concern for an extended "lights out" period.

An AK would be a good long gun
    The only potential problem I see(at least for myself) with a shotgun for SHTF purposes...is speed and ease of reloading. That's why my next shotgun I'll be considering a Saiga type for magazine fed. Can it get better than a mag-fed 12guage...
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

My service rifle in the SADF was the R1 (FN-FAL). It served me well back then, it should serve me well in an emergency here. I would not feel badly armed with an AR15, but only with a fast twist 20 inch barrel shooting 69 grain or heavier hollowpoints, or maybe the 60 grain VMax or 64 grain Winchester soft point in a 1 in 9 twist.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links