Stock on HD gun

This is a discussion on Stock on HD gun within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have just been wondering what do you guys think would be better for my shot gun.. It has a pistol grip with a shoulder ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stock on HD gun

Stock on HD gun

I have just been wondering what do you guys think would be better for my shot gun.. It has a pistol grip with a shoulder stock, or would just a pistol grip be better? Its a 12 gauge..

2. Remove Ads

JD
    Administrator
    I prefer a stock with pistol grip, it just points better for me.

I have a CAR style stock on mine. It's this gun as a matter of fact:
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Mo
    I prefer a traditional stock, but with a youth length of pull. I've got a 12" Hogue stock on my HD gun. The shorter stock doesn't hamper pointability, makes it more manuverable and makes it more comfortable for the fiancee to shoot. I also just like the looks better than a pistol-gripped shotgun.

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    I agree, I like the shoulder stock and the pistol grip combo. That CAR stock is pretty slick, I may have to pick one of those up.

Buttstock. Definitely.

I really don't understand why anyone would NOT want it. Better for aim (yes, even with a shotgun, it is good to aim instead of simply point in the general direction), better control, easier follow up shots...

I guess I see PG'd shotguns as useless "tacticool". Sure, the CDI factor is through the roof, but their practical application for the average guy is nada.

Yes, certain LE/military applications call for it--breaching tool, for example-- but how often are you going to be doing that if something goes bump in the night.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

I have a Knoxx SpecOps recoil reducing stock on mine almost no recoil or muzzle flip at all. Its adjustable and IMO a stock gives you a stable platform to be shooting from. I think pistol gripped shot guns are cooler looking than they are functional
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Shoulder stock with a pistol grip. You can always chicken wing it to shorten it up. The opposite can not be said for just a pistol grip.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by matiki View Post
    I have a CAR style stock on mine. It's this gun as a matter of fact:
    That looks nice might try to find one of them. I have trouble finding accessories.. i have a Stoeger P-350

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    I love my Specops recoil reducing stock

Quote Originally Posted by Colin View Post
    I love my Specops recoil reducing stock

+1. Great stock if a little more expensive than others, but worth every penny.
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

personaly i prefer pistolgrip with a stock. its comfy and useful. pistol grip alone its only good for breaching, rifle stock is not as comfy and useless if you gotta breach a door(im thinking work on that last bit) if i've got a grip with stock i can effectivly do alot more.
    "Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result."
    -Winston Churchill
    Every well-bred petty crook knows: the small concealable weapons always go to the far left of the place setting.
    -Inara, firefly

Administrator
    Regular old fashioned stock is the best IMO. If we are talking about autoloaders, then an addition of a pistol grip might be useful.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Member Array the_fallguy's Avatar
    The pistol grip without the stock takes away two points of contact with the gun, thus taking away one of the biggest advantages of having a long gun. Recoil control suffers as well. Whether you want a pistol grip or not, at least use a stock.
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
    Where self preservation is concerned, if you're not cheating, your not trying...

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    Try out both from different positions and see what works best for you. There's a lot of sound ideas posted here but what it comes down to is that everyone is different and has their own preferences. I personally have a pistol-grip without buttstock on my 12 but I would prefer to have a Knoxx SpecOps RRS. I just haven't bothered to drop the cash on yet because I do fine with what I have.

Like I said, try both - decide for yourself. If you have the money, take a defensive shotgun course and see if it changes your opinion. In the end, the only people it should matter to are you and the thug on the other end.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links