Anybody Shoot HIGH Power?

This is a discussion on Anybody Shoot HIGH Power? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I shot Small bore in high school and College. And actively shoot IDPA and Skeet/Trap and some Sporting Clays. I got a M1A because it ...

Thread: Anybody Shoot HIGH Power?

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality

Anybody Shoot HIGH Power?

I shot Small bore in high school and College. And actively shoot IDPA and Skeet/Trap and some Sporting Clays. I got a M1A because it was my military school drill rifle, and I'm thinking of using it for High Power. My part time range may be sponsoring a high power team next year. They have 3 committed and from what I'm told its its a four man event.
    The one area I'm lacking in is distance shooting. Moving with a scatter gun is no problem especially on a skeet field, and can hold my own in an action pistol event. This meticulous shooting at paper without movement has got me thinking of what to expect and what I need.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

2. Remove Ads

A very good sling should be on your list. If whatever group you are shooting allows a shooting mat I would get one.

Not sure if you consider 5.56 hi-powered or not, but its about the only thing I ever get to shoot past 300 yards.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    A very good sling should be on your list. If whatever group you are shooting allows a shooting mat I would get one.

Not sure if you consider 5.56 hi-powered or not, but its about the only thing I ever get to shoot part 300 yards.
    Thats what I was thinking for speed and accuracy I just might have to pick up another Mouse gun.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

You plannin on usin iron sights for the events? A good shooter can definately reach out with iron sights, no scope needed.

Do you know yet the kinds of distances we are talkin about?

I did get to shoot some long distance .50 cal lately, but that wasn't precision fire as much as suppressive fire.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Generally speaking a full course is 200, 300, and 600 yards.

I've shot high-power since the early 80s. Didn't shoot a match last year nor so far this year but have been busy and have moved.

I never wanted to devote the time and money to shoot the mouse gun so am a dinosaur on the firing line with my beloved .30s, both the M1 and the M1A.

Whatever you shoot be sure it possesses a really good trigger.

VIP Member
    Besides the sling and shooting mat a good well fitting shooting jacket is a big help. I would suggest you attend a couple of matches just to observe the course of fire. The slow fire at 300 and 500 yards are fired prone loading 1 round at a time. The rapid fire is normally fired standing off-hand with 1 reload, 10 rounds in 1 minute. Here is a website that offers more info on high power matches CMP Home .

Links