New Toy

New Toy

This is a discussion on New Toy within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hello, I had a pistol I no longer wanted. It was just sitting in a case neglected. I decided to sell it, but the economy ...

Thread: New Toy

Senior Member Array Joshua M. Smith's Avatar

New Toy

Hello,

I had a pistol I no longer wanted. It was just sitting in a case neglected.

I decided to sell it, but the economy here is such that nobody's buying, not even the gunstores any longer, though they're trading.

So, I traded.

Got a used Hi-Point 995.

This thing is butt ugly. In no way is it pleasing to my eyes.

However, it shoots. And shoots. And shoots. I ran all sorts of 9mm ammo through it and couldn't get it to malfunction.

The red dot dialed in quickly, and I was drilling targets to empty. I have some Golden Saber Bonded 124gr+P that were doing a number on water filled milk jugs at 50 yards. After I brought it in, I loaded it up with them, keeping the chamber empty.

Regardless of how ugly it may be, it's a shooter, and points very instinctively for me. If I need finer aim, the 5moa red dot will keep me on target out to at least 50 yards.

I'm thinking about eventually getting an aftermarket stock. They say you can't fix ugly, but I dunno... some of these stocks they have out look OK. I just wonder about the ergonomics though.

I do wonder how fast the bullets are leaving the barrel. The Golden Sabers advertise 1250fps from a 5" barrel, so keeping with the 50fps per inch, it would come out to 1800fps, which I can't quite believe. Maybe 1350 or 1400.

I figure it'll do the job when I need a rifle but don't quite need a rifle cartridge.

And... it's fun. :D

Does anyone know if there are any recommended mods to these things before employed in defensive duty? I was going to change the stock out to the Cx4, but I figure the ugly might scare bad guys away, so I'm leaving it for now.

Josh <><

Glad to hear you like it. I've always been intrigued by those carbines, never bought one though.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    I've never held a 995 with the CX4 lookalike stock, but if it's close to a real CX4, it should handle very nicely.

Congrats on your new ugly duckling.
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

They are bugly butt they do shoot and if I was gonna have a pistol calibre truck gun that would be the one i would throw in it,I remember the local pawn shops were selling them around 160.00 IIRC
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I just saw the cx4 storm style stock they make for those and one site had them for around 46.00 but they make them look very cool
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

What did you trade for it? Just out of coriousity? Glad you got a good shooter out of it.

NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

I don't think they're any uglier than a glock, and they function the same... just keep firing and firing and firing.

I've shot a couple and found them ergonomically comfortable, pretty darn accurate, and reliable. The only thing keeping me from buying one is no hi-cap mags are available, give me the option of a 20-30 rnd mag and I'm in.

Enjoy!
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

Quote Originally Posted by NCHornet View Post
    What did you trade for it? Just out of coriousity? Glad you got a good shooter out of it.

NCH
    I traded a particular 1911 that I didn't like. I had given less for it initially than what this was priced at, so I figure I came out ahead.

I'm thinking about an ATI stock, but will probably just leave the "Planet of the Apes" look as it feels good.

Josh <><

Quote Originally Posted by rhinokrk View Post
    I don't think they're any uglier than a glock, and they function the same... just keep firing and firing and firing.

I've shot a couple and found them ergonomically comfortable, pretty darn accurate, and reliable. The only thing keeping me from buying one is no hi-cap mags are available, give me the option of a 20-30 rnd mag and I'm in.

Enjoy!
    See, that just doesn't bother me in a long arm for some reason. I have an SKS and I've elected to keep the 10 round mag. Just seems like plenty to me.

Same with a 1911. I carry 7rnd mags so I have eight in the gun and seven more on my side.

True I carried a Taurus PT92 and 46 rounds for the longest time, but to me, spare mags are (usually) for malfunction clearance rather than reloads.

Promag does make a 15 round magazine, but reviews are mixed.

Josh <><

P.S. To each his own. I didn't mean to sound like Ruger there, and I enjoy ripping off 50 round magazines as much as the next guy, when I can afford it! J.S.

Links