S/A SOCOM 16 ??'s

S/A SOCOM 16 ??'s

This is a discussion on S/A SOCOM 16 ??'s within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Was considering the purchase of a SOCOM 16. Wanted to get some input as to how they shoot,are built,sights,short bbl/muzz brake,etc. Any input would be ...

Thread: S/A SOCOM 16 ??'s

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar

S/A SOCOM 16 ??'s

Was considering the purchase of a SOCOM 16. Wanted to get some input as to how they shoot,are built,sights,short bbl/muzz brake,etc. Any input would be most appreciated.Am already very familiar with the inner workings of the M14/M1A but wondered if the differences in the SOCOM makes for a better or worse weapon. Thanks -----------

Senior Moderator
    Depends on what you want it for.

It is accurate, and it is LOUD.

A few of the deputys that I work with have them in their cars with them. For that role, its great. Short, quick and hard hitting.

Being so short, it feels pretty heavy in the hands. Personally, Im not that high on some of the read dot sights that you see on them. I know of one case where a rifle was leaned up against a truck and it slipped and knocked the mount right off. For a rifle like this and the shorter ranges its meant to be in, I think that the peep sight is the way to go and its very sturdy.

I like the rifle. Its a great patrol rifle, and here in the south its a great deer rifle. Quick shots for the thickets and enough precision for the big fields and pastures around here.

Assistant Administrator
    Doubt I'll manage to get one - tho sure would like

Despite my old eyes and red dots on almost everything, I'd give a big 10:4 on peep sights - quick aquisition, not much to go wrong.

I guess hearing protection could be handy too
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Lead Moderator
    red dots are made for faster acqusition , and do suit that purpose. Peeps are more accurate than most dots, but slower. If I could get a SOCOM to co -witness I would not hesitate to mount 1. Don't know allt hat much on the socom. I think it has the porting and shortened barrel , ect. but not much diffrent than a standard M1A. Try asking on AR15.com, they have a M1A forum.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=6&f=6

Senior Member Array CombatEffective's Avatar
    I want one badly, but they are much more than the milsurp rifles that have sunk their teeth into me.

If you were to decide the 16" version is a tad too short there is a scout squad version with an 18" barrel.
    Shooters' Legacy

Special sections for S&W and Ruger

I have 18" Scout and swaped out the huge black rubber sissy pad for the standard GI buttplate so the OAL is very close to the SOCOM and the extra 2" of barrel give me better ballistics with handloads. The huge diffrence in price between the SOCOM and the Scout is not worth it for me.

M1A SOCOM is my next rifle purchase. Yup it's L-O-U-D and it's got a huge muzzle flash, but it's a .308 and a compact package. That means more weight and less ammo to carry, but I don't think I have to worry about any more long range patrols! I'll put one of those EOTech or Bushnell Holosights on it and be very happy.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Links