Need some guidance

This is a discussion on Need some guidance within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Ok so here is my situation. I am going to have some money left over after paying tuition and books this semester and want to ...

Thread: Need some guidance

Need some guidance

Ok so here is my situation. I am going to have some money left over after paying tuition and books this semester and want to get an AR-15. The thing is, I have no knowledge of these rifles.

I am looking for something that is pretty basic, but won't be a pain or hard to find parts to upgrade in the future with grips, stocks, etc. I can go to probably $800 or so in price and just need somebody to point me in the right direction. With the upcoming election and the fact that I have been wanting one for awhile, I feel it is time to buy. Any help is appreciated and remember I do NOT know much about these rifles.

Oh and by the way, this rifle will be primarily for target shooting for right now. I have a 12 gauge and a 1911 for home protection.
    Last edited by Strokin99; August 5th, 2008 at 07:11 PM. Reason: forgot something
    Springfield 1911A1, Ruger GP100 .357 mag, Glock 17, Ruger Vaquero .44 mag

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Start like most of us did by reading the AR-15 forums at AR15.com where you can learn more about the rifle than most anywhere else you can go.

This will let you decide which model and accessories you desire.

You will also find info on what products are best for certain types of use and all the info you need in case you decide to build your own.

Four months ago I knew nothing about an AR-15 except they were black. I had never even held one. I now have a very nice A3 flattop AR-15 in 5.56 that I purchased every piece and put togehter with my own two hands with no help. It fires every time the trigger is pulled and is accurate.

The lower reciever is the only part that you have to buy from a licensed FFL dealer/shop. The rest is more than abundant anywhere on the internet.

Here is the thread on my AR build: http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...tor-lower.html
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Educate your self then buy a stag . Stag produces a lot of parts ( as well as full rifles ) that are brand named by big names . FYI my ar is a rock river , but were i buying one today it would be a stag .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

The only thing you could do wrong is to buy a 7.62x39.... ARs are simple, solid, universal, and the gun equivalent of a lego set!

I remember seeing that website before but just couldn't remember what it was. Thanks for the replies. So the only piece needed to be sent to an FFL dealer is the lower receiver? That's pretty sweet so I can build it as the money comes in. Once again thank you.
    Springfield 1911A1, Ruger GP100 .357 mag, Glock 17, Ruger Vaquero .44 mag

Yes, only the lower has to go through a FFL.

Yep and you can save about $150 doing it in pieces so you can put that into Ammo and a few mags. You can get a complete lower and complete upper of decent quality and get done for about $650 to $700 if you shop around an watch for deals.

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    what ever happened to the pre-ban forums? I think they were linked with sig forums and glocktalk. I got back from a deployment a long time ago and it was gone
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Yes ! For newbies with little or no knowlege of the AR15 platform you should spend some time over at M4Carbine.net or AR15.COM

You can read every thread, especially the stickies and within weeks you'll know more than most law enforcement officers. Not a diss on the LEO here, just facts from own personal experience.

I think you'll find an array of experiences with every single AR15 maker in the market. One thing is for sure, LMT is probably my favorite and for your budget I'd not have a problem with Bushmaster.

Do alot of looking around on those sights. Decide what you want this rifle to look like and how you want it to perform. Lot's of people purchase the first thing on the rack at the local dealer only to find out later that they'd wished they'd had purchased a flat top upper and not the A2 fixed upper, They find out they really wanted a retractable stock and bought a fixed A2 stock, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc.

Take your time. Read, read, and then read some more on those sites mentioned. You'll be ready in not time to make your purchase.
    Perhaps your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

The lower is the only part that has to go through a FFL b/c its the only part that tracked if i'm correct.
    Smith and Wesson Sigma 9mm
    Beretta 92FS 9mm
    Browning Buckmark 22LR
    Ruger Mark III Dexlue Competition Model 22LR.
    1911 Soon.

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach Riggs View Post
    The lower is the only part that has to go through a FFL b/c its the only part that tracked if i'm correct.
    Not sure "tracked" is the right word but it does have to be sold through an FFL for its first sale. After that, who knows?
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Zach Riggs View Post
    It is the only part that BATFE considers to be "the firearm" is the more correct way to state it.

Links